Although I usually like to think of myself as one of the more laid back and level-headed, the 'race riots' across various locations in the USA over the past few days have made me have flashbacks to August 2011 here in the UK when many of our major cities went up in flames, also triggered by a Black person (Mark Duggan) being killed in the hands of the police.

I know I sound a bit paranoid but I can't help imagining scenarios if certain factions of Britain's disaffected youth decide to engage in 'copycat' disturbances, especially with there already being a sense of anger and bitterness at the hodge-podge handling of the COVID-19 outbreak by the 'powers that be' here, coupled with many underlying issues already affecting certain youngsters in this country pre-pandemic still remaining unresolved (e.g, gang culture and knife crime). I also know that the events in question are in the USA and AFAIK, no Black or other ethnic minority persons have been killed in the hands of the police here in the UK recently, but I just can't stop thinking about it, especially with a lot of the 'virtue signalling' and 'outrage by proxy', that seems to be very much in vogue these days.

Don't get me wrong, I totally deplore racism in general and what that police officer did to that Black guy that proved fatal was an absolute atrocity of the highest order.