Thread: Going through mental illness without having anybody to talk to..

Going through mental illness without having anybody to talk to..

I have been struggling with mental health issues for many years. I have severe anxiety related to OCD as well as depression and difficulties regulating emotions. It first of all took me a very long time just to get the professional help that I needed, but one of my biggest problems is just the lack of support from other human beings. I wish I had actual human beings around me to talk to. I just wish I had people around me who understood or knew what I was going through. I have a couple of friends but I am not sure they will really understand because these issues feel so far removed from "day-to-day" difficulties that others experience. That's why I kind of get over attatched to my therapists because it feels like they are the only ones I have to talk to and understand. But that is very unfulfilling because I am paying them to listen haha. For me, having all these issues has been very isolating from others and I don't know what to do. Does anyone else feel this same way also? Anybody found a way to work through these feelings?
    Thanks!
    Megan

Re: Going through mental illness without having anybody to talk to..

The thing is, that normal (whatever that means) isn't binary, it's a curve - some exist towards the centre and others towards the far end. All of us are on that same curve, though.You don't know what others are going through, either, in part because nobody talks about mental ill-health.

You should try raising it with your friends - you may be surprised by the positive response you get. I know I was when I opened up a few months back. A word of advice, though: to make a friend, you have to be a friend. Take time to really listen to others and offer help when you can, even if it's just a sympathetic ear or a few words of encouragement or congratulations. I know it's tough when anxiety fills your world (I lost so many friendships that way!), but you can't make others responsible for your happiness.

One final thing: some people are always going to think you're weird, and that's okay. That's their problem. The people worth keeping will always stick around, and that's why you have to treat them well.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan99 View Post
    I have been struggling with mental health issues for many years. I have severe anxiety related to OCD as well as depression and difficulties regulating emotions. It first of all took me a very long time just to get the professional help that I needed, but one of my biggest problems is just the lack of support from other human beings. I wish I had actual human beings around me to talk to. I just wish I had people around me who understood or knew what I was going through. I have a couple of friends but I am not sure they will really understand because these issues feel so far removed from "day-to-day" difficulties that others experience. That's why I kind of get over attatched to my therapists because it feels like they are the only ones I have to talk to and understand. But that is very unfulfilling because I am paying them to listen haha. For me, having all these issues has been very isolating from others and I don't know what to do. Does anyone else feel this same way also? Anybody found a way to work through these feelings?
    Thanks!
    Megan
    Well let me just say, Megan, what you are doing here today is communicating with others and you have done it extremely well and articulate. So please try to keep the dialogue going...on this and other threads. Take advantage of this site. There are lots of resources. Pen Pals might be good for you. Do you work? You seem to have a sense of humor which is healthy. Don't sell your therapists short. Even though they're being paid most of them care very much for their clients. Plus you seem smart enough to spot the frauds. Also, you have to put their recommendations or advice into practice. What about support groups? There are lots of those you could check out. Hang in there.

N.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    The thing is, that normal (whatever that means) isn't binary, it's a curve - some exist towards the centre and others towards the far end. All of us are on that same curve, though.You don't know what others are going through, either, in part because nobody talks about mental ill-health.

You should try raising it with your friends - you may be surprised by the positive response you get. I know I was when I opened up a few months back. A word of advice, though: to make a friend, you have to be a friend. Take time to really listen to others and offer help when you can, even if it's just a sympathetic ear or a few words of encouragement or congratulations. I know it's tough when anxiety fills your world (I lost so many friendships that way!), but you can't make others responsible for your happiness.

One final thing: some people are always going to think you're weird, and that's okay. That's their problem. The people worth keeping will always stick around, and that's why you have to treat them well.
    Good advice Blueiris. Everyone's kind of weird in their own way anyhow... except for Terry that is.

Thread Information