Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Re: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Middle ground. Don't tar all with the crimes and attitudes of some. How many cops are protesting or supporting the protests? How many of them know far better than we do who the bad apples are? How many BAME cope are used to being excluded due to the old boy network just as the Met and government did here?
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 03-06-20 at 21:50. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    If a black police officer had committed the same offence on a white member of the public, would there be a similar reaction?
    Can't see it myself. The argument tends to be, like with all racism aimed at white people, that it's more about the history of oppression. One persons received abuse always trump's the other.

I can understand the view but I also dislike it. It never gets flipped for non white countries. And I question whether it puts up barriers and prevents moving forward. You see people get sick of it when someone else reduces it. This is something tied up in the white privilege debate and, in my opinion, some use it as another badge of honour for the cause just as some do it over LGBT+ issues. It's also false due to world history, again in my opinion, when we consider the holocaust and conquest times. However that doesn't mean I don't see some truth in that it meant an additional level of discrimination.

But is that the attitude of all or some? Since every group is always diverse I suspect we are back to the usual problem that is human beings being different.

Hopefully that's clear? Being white I'm aware of the irony in being privileged in my viewpoint. Racism I've experienced has been rare and it just didn't register with me (I laughed on one occasion).

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    These "protests" seem to be pre-planned with pallets of bricks just lying there in the streets waiting for the "protesters". Both Floyd and Chauvin reported to be working in the same place previously for many years. Looks to be another staged event pushing the race war and divide and conquer agenda.
    So do you believe it went wrong and was only meant to look like an abusive arrest but one in which Floyd lived?

If a black police officer had committed the same offence on a white member of the public, would there be a similar reaction?
    Yes and No.
    I suppose there would have been an outcry and appeals for the black police officer to be dismissed and tried for murder, and rightly so. (And this has happened before - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/u...amed-noor.html)

However, there would not have been widespread protests as (in the US at least) there is no historical and sustained pattern of white people being targeted by black cops overstepping their limits and using excessive force. Also we have not really had many post civil war leaders openly enable and encourage white supremacy, as we're seeing now.
    Last edited by pray4me; 03-06-20 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by pray4me View Post
    Yes and No.
    I suppose there would have been an outcry and appeals for the black police officer to be dismissed and tried for murder, and rightly so. (And this has happened before - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/u...amed-noor.html)

However, there would not have been widespread protests as (in the US at least) there is no historical and sustained pattern of white people being targeted by black cops overstepping their limits and using excessive force. Also we have not really had many post civil war leaders openly enable and encourage white supremacy, as we're seeing now.
    Yes and no? Are you a politician?

It's a great hypothetical question.

The correct answer to it Pulisa is we wouldn't even know about it.

N.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post

N.
    Or how about white cop, oriental victim? Or black cop, oriental victim?

I think it's incorrect to believe police haven't targeted other social groups e.g. drug offenders, prostitutes, LGBT+, etc. Maybe the scale differs and by country/society?

Yes and no? Are you a politician?
    I am not a politician. And in case you did not read my full response. The first part expounds on the 'yes' and the second on the 'no'.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Or how about white cop, oriental victim? Or black cop, oriental victim?

I think it's incorrect to believe police haven't targeted other social groups e.g. drug offenders, prostitutes, LGBT+, etc. Maybe the scale differs and by country/society?
    Two of the cops involved in the current case are Asian and have had charges against them today.

N.
    I disagree. Like I said, (and posited a link in my previous response), it has happened before and there has been an outcry about it, and rightly so.

Also Antsyvee, sorry for hijacking your thread. It really was not my intention to do so. I was only trying to contribute at first. Then many of the questions/remarks from others appeared to be in response to something I posted, so I've been responding to them. I am still trying to figure out how to do this in a single post.

Regardless, this is your thread about how you've been dealing with all of this turmoil, and I've been remiss in not asking you if you're doing alright. Are you ok? I hope it has been a bit of a distraction discussing things on here.
    Last edited by pray4me; 03-06-20 at 23:02.

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information