Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Anyone else?

First it was CV, now it's protests and looting. During the day, the protests have all been peaceful. But as soon as the sun starts to go down, it's been turning into complete anarchy with lots of looting. I don't need to leave the house, and i'm not near any shopping centers, so I feel safe...but it's the fact that I can't leave that is super creepy.

Re: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Stay safe, Vee. I hope it all ends soon.

Yep, the night will bring out the criminals who can operate behind the safety of a crowd reducing the number of patrolling cops. Some here refer to these things as a good time to grab a new TV...literally after the initial deposit of a house brick.

Our protests seem confined to London, the home of protesters. I won't see this in my city, such things are rare here. Maybe Birmingham will see some but they won't attract much press so police will be less afraid to do anything as the Met always seem to be.

I hope they keep it peaceful where you are. If it's like over here there is a fringe of the problem protesters and most are happy just to be heard.

Right now, sitting at home in my living room, it's just a bunch of police sirens and a bunch of stupid people using the opportunity of the police being tied up to light off illegal fireworks. I don't know if you're been to southern California (socal) but basically, all of our cities border each other, like the different neighborhoods London border each other. It's not so bad in my city. The next city over though, I'm watching on the news, it's nuts there. There's just crowds of masked people going from store to store to store breaking in and running out with stuff until the cops can show up.

This really is not fun for my GAD :/

Oh, the National Guard has showed up now. Helicopters out now. I hope it stops the dumba$$es with the fireworks.

Just reiterating Terry's post, stay safe x It's the last thing the county wanted when trying to cope with Covid19.

The policing system needs to be overhauled (either in the state of Minnesota/and other states) across USA. The issue is that the US have never addressed their cultural inequalities and this is so much more apparent in some states than others. Presidents like DT rark things up even more.

ps. Just seen in the Herald that there are peaceful protests in some cities in NZ in relation to the killing in US.
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 01-06-20 at 06:13.

The issue is that the US have never addressed their cultural inequalities and this is so much more apparent in some states than others. Presidents like DT rark things up even more.
    It's that. Many don't want to acknowledge that white privilege exists and that darker skin is unfortunately associated with crime and violence. It's this unconscious bias that seems to be deeply embedded in our culture. It's not just a police officer thing. When people lie about a crime they've committed, who do they say did it? An unidentified black man. When people see a black person walk through a non-black neighborhood, they get nervous. People who aren't black are scared to drive in mostly-black neighborhoods. Even within minority cultures here, the people with darker skin are teased or made fun of. Even other black people tease their friends and relatives with darker skin. I have family members who do it. (Even though they make fun of me for my light skin. You can't win!). It just seems so pervasive, but so many don't want to acknowledge it.

How are things now, Vee? It must be terrifying for you but you are safe indoors and hopefully by now the National Guard will have put a stop to the worst of it?

I’m sorry you’re in the middle of it, must be very scary.

I understand how this happens, and I suppose things are worse because the people who have started looting and damaging property have been cooped up and are now giddy with it.

I remember when we had a few days of riots and looting some years ago over the death of Mark Duggan. It was terrifying for a few days but over soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fortunate living in a rural area as we've escaped the large numbers of COVID-19 cases as well as the protests. My son is in Chicago and while there are large demonstrations, violence and looting going on, he lives away from the hot spots. The same with my wife's son and he's in Minneapolis where this all started. They hear the sirens and helicopters but are safe for the moment. No doubt that's very stressful and the rhetoric from leadership is not helping the situation.

If its stressful for those without anxiety, I can only imagine what its like for sufferers. Stay safe Antsy!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information