Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Re: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Um...but isn't it just the fact that they can open them and close them at will, Lenco?
    I suppose only time can tell with that one.

BLM have started kicking off in Brighton out of the blue today, after about 3 weeks of calm within our shores.

I wonder if there will be Disabled Lives Matter protests start up as well, as surely people with learning disabilities must also be fair game for police brutality, which is probably under-reported!!

C'mon now, Lenco. I know you don't like the disruption of protesting, but don't go there. That's not cool. Just be glad you don't have to deal with racism or disability.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    BLM have started kicking off in Brighton out of the blue today, after about 3 weeks of calm within our shores.

I wonder if there will be Disabled Lives Matter protests start up as well, as surely people with learning disabilities must also be fair game for police brutality, which is probably under-reported!!
    Of course disabled lives matter, and the police definitely are brutal towards disabled people as well, just google it and you will get hundreds of results, reading about it is sickening. The problem is police unfairly target black people/communities. The protests are about bringing light to police brutality and demanding it be reformed/abolished, as well as justice for all those killed/harmed/unfairly prisoned.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    C'mon now, Lenco. I know you don't like the disruption of protesting, but don't go there. That's not cool. Just be glad you don't have to deal with racism or disability.
    I'm not actually gonna go there, as it would probably be even more traumatic being in the thick of a mammoth protest, with thousands of angry and bitter people shouting, swearing and possibly being physically violent. I just said that last night kind of in jest, and in the heat of the moment.

As I've said before on here, I don't always literally mean everything I say.

And FYI, I do actually have a disability, Asperger's Syndrome. And whilst I have (so far) never been on the receiving end of police brutality, I have most certainly been on the receiving end of brutality and abusive treatments by school staff in the past, even after 1986, the year caning was outlawed here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by wasdhu View Post
    Of course disabled lives matter, and the police definitely are brutal towards disabled people as well, just google it and you will get hundreds of results, reading about it is sickening. The problem is police unfairly target black people/communities. The protests are about bringing light to police brutality and demanding it be reformed/abolished, as well as justice for all those killed/harmed/unfairly prisoned.
    I'm not in the slightest trivialising the plight that many Black persons suffer the world over, and I do really feel for the vast majority of them (the innocent law-abiding ones) and racism most certainly needs addressing in a big way, but as we both agree, disability abuse (across all ethnicities) is a lot more widespread than many of us think it is. Same as (non-sexual) child abuse, which also hardly ever seems to get mentioned in the news these days, as I remember back in the late 80s and early 90s there seemed to be major moral panics fuelled by news headlines about a supposed epidemic of children being brutalised by their parents, especially when connected with unemployment and inadvertently, alcoholism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I just said that last night kind of in jest, and in the heat of the moment.

As I've said before on here, I don't always literally mean everything I say..
    Sorry, but there was no way to tell this ^^ from that post you made.

In fact there was an incident in Cornwall a couple of years back when a young man with ASD was subjected to a George Floyd type assault by a police officer but it didn't get the same degree of media coverage because ASD isn't as newsworthy as racism (I say that as the mother of 2 adult children with ASD)

If it's not perceived racism it doesn't lead.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    In fact there was an incident in Cornwall a couple of years back when a young man with ASD was subjected to a George Floyd type assault by a police officer but it didn't get the same degree of media coverage because ASD isn't as newsworthy as racism (I say that as the mother of 2 adult children with ASD)
    Did that person get killed? If so, it probably would have received more widespread media coverage. And most certainly if that person also happened to be Black or Asian!

Whilst on the subject of Cornwall and disability abuse (whilst at the same time not intending to single out nor stereotype said county), wasn't there a Winterbourne View-type scandal in a residential unit there for people with LDs around 2006 or so?

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread Information