Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Re: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    The 22nd amendment to our Constitution:
    "Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once."
    I am aware of the 22nd Amendment, but I'm not convinced it's going to stop him running for a third term anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    I am aware of the 22nd Amendment, but I'm not convinced it's going to stop him running for a third term anyway.
    There's a lot of speculation as to what would happen if he loses in November. From refusing to leave and being forcibly removed from the White House to refusing to show up for the inauguration. If he loses, I won't be surprised to see him leave the country and go to N Korea, Russia, Turkey or Saudi Arabia to avoid the inevitable prosecution and lawsuits that will follow.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    There's a lot of speculation as to what would happen if he loses in November. From refusing to leave and being forcibly removed from the White House to refusing to show up for the inauguration. If he loses, I won't be surprised to see him leave the country and go to N Korea, Russia, Turkey or Saudi Arabia to avoid the inevitable prosecution and lawsuits that will follow.
    This is one thing I don't get about the US - the protracted handover between election and inauguration. In the UK, you're out the very next morning, no messing about.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    I don't know how he could possibly get elected for a third term. It's against the law. You'd have to change the laws. Yes, I know he'd like to change the law in his favor, but you need 2/3rds of both houses of Congress and 3/4ths of the states to agree to it. I don't see that happening. Yes some republicans have sold their souls to support Trump to stay within party lines, but this isn't just about Trump. If you change the law, you're allowing everyone after Trump to be in office longer than two terms. I have still have faith that our populace isn't that short-sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    This is one thing I don't get about the US - the protracted handover between election and inauguration. In the UK, you're out the very next morning, no messing about.
    The 20th amendment moved the presidential start date to January 20th. Before that I think it used to be in March sometime. So it's actually gotten shorter over the years. The transition time was put it to make the running of the country smoother as a new president takes over. Whether that is effective or not can be argued, as 1) we've never had it any other way and 2) some presidents have taken advantage or it and some have not. If you look back in history, some presidents have just showed up, and others have used the time to learn as much as possible from their predecessors. The precedent for it was established as early as Washington and Adams.

Positive thoughts
    Yeah, there is a lot of speculation going on about this right now. Whatever the outcome, I know on election years it's a lot easier to teach History! I get a lot more buy-in LOL

Positive thoughts
    Provided they don't get incinerated in a nuclear war first!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Or in Cameron's case you leg over the back garden fence

Update: Well, the looting started back up again in my city, and we're under a curfew again :(

Is it more in the next city than yours, Vee? Hopefully they will get it under control swiftly like last time.

A few clashes between protesters and police here but it's to be expected with an issue like this. It's one that gat brings out those just looking for a fight with the authorities. Most are peaceful though and I feel sorry for them getting caught up against the police.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information