Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Re: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Quote Originally Posted by wasdhu View Post
    Of course disabled lives matter, and the police definitely are brutal towards disabled people as well, just google it and you will get hundreds of results, reading about it is sickening. The problem is police unfairly target black people/communities. The protests are about bringing light to police brutality and demanding it be reformed/abolished, as well as justice for all those killed/harmed/unfairly prisoned.
    I'm not referring to any new incidents concerning the BLM thing per se, but I was thinking this morning about that incident involving David 'Rocky' Bennett who was subjected to brutality by staff in a psychiatric unit in Norwich, England in October 1998, that sadly proved fatal, and that victim was both Black and had a developmental disability.

As tragic as it was, I don't even recall the original incident when it was in the news at the time, it was only just over a decade later that I found out about it (around the time of the Winterbourne View scandal), and I don't recall that big a deal being made out of it at the time either.

I bet had that particular incident occured today in these more enlightened times there would have been a major kerfuffle, not just in this country but the world over, with both the BLM and disability rights camps taking to the streets en masse!!

Difficult times over there with the wildfires so I'm hoping you & your family are safe, Vee

TY. We had two wildfires last week, but they are pretty contained now. Keep your fingers crossed storms don’t start any more this week. The worst fires now are several hours north of me up in NorCal where we have the dense redwood forests. It’s pretty bad up there The whole state is supposed to remain in the heat wave this week. 35c + temps

This isn't about looting per se, but I have noticed over more recent years the lack of mass public revolts against company closures and the resulting masses of job losses.

For example, just before last Christmas the long-running UK retailer Mothercare went bust, along with several others both before and after it, spanning pretty much from the Global Financial Crisis right through to the current COVID-19 pandemic, and barely anyone seemed to bat an eyelid and remember thinking had their demise occurred some 10-20 years earlier (and under Labour), there probably would have been mass protests, just like when the Rover Group went bust in the spring of 2000, and resulted in city-wide marches across Birmingham, and many of Rover's former employees consequently turning their backs on the Blair govt (and inadvertently blaming them for the collapse of Rover), and the then-Tory leader William Hague 'pretending' to sympathise with the redundant workers from the former Longbridge plant.

I often wonder why there aren't those big protest marches over big company closures to the same extent that there used to be nowadays (though not necessarily advocating such things).

Is it because most people just air their grievances on social media and the like these days, or is it because they believe that such old-school protest marches are now often a waste of time, or both?

Just curious.

We had protests here about a Sriracha sauce factory closing here about a year and a half ago, and they ended up keeping the factory open.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I often wonder why there aren't those big protest marches over big company closures to the same extent that there used to be nowadays (though not necessarily advocating such things).

Is it because most people just air their grievances on social media and the like these days, or is it because they believe that such old-school protest marches are now often a waste of time, or both?

Just curious.
    A general sense of futility, I suppose: Que sera, sera.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    This isn't about looting per se, but I have noticed over more recent years the lack of mass public revolts against company closures and the resulting masses of job losses.

For example, just before last Christmas the long-running UK retailer Mothercare went bust, along with several others both before and after it, spanning pretty much from the Global Financial Crisis right through to the current COVID-19 pandemic, and barely anyone seemed to bat an eyelid and remember thinking had their demise occurred some 10-20 years earlier (and under Labour), there probably would have been mass protests, just like when the Rover Group went bust in the spring of 2000, and resulted in city-wide marches across Birmingham, and many of Rover's former employees consequently turning their backs on the Blair govt (and inadvertently blaming them for the collapse of Rover), and the then-Tory leader William Hague 'pretending' to sympathise with the redundant workers from the former Longbridge plant.

Just curious.
    Probably the lack of union coordination? A company I worked later closed an office and shipped off to India. What would protesting have achieved in a company with a small % of union memberships?

Car plants, pits, steelworks, etc have a long history of strong union membership. No one cares when a high office or retailer sacks everyone as they aren't seen as traditional industry the area takes pride in.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    TY. We had two wildfires last week, but they are pretty contained now. Keep your fingers crossed storms don’t start any more this week. The worst fires now are several hours north of me up in NorCal where we have the dense redwood forests. It’s pretty bad up there The whole state is supposed to remain in the heat wave this week. 35c + temps
    I read about the redwoods. A sad loss and also local wildlife who will be suffering.

They seem to be expected some lightning storms in some areas so it must be very tense right now.

I was reading about the inmate fire fighters being released early due to the virus leaving a big hole in services. Maybe some will volunteer? I never knew they did it so fair play to them.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I read about the redwoods. A sad loss and also local wildlife who will be suffering.

They seem to be expected some lightning storms in some areas so it must be very tense right now.

I was reading about the inmate fire fighters being released early due to the virus leaving a big hole in services. Maybe some will volunteer? I never knew they did it so fair play to them.
    yes, we use inmate firefighters, and lots of volunteers, like fire fighters militia and boy/Girl Scouts. My dad volunteers and clears brush up in the mountains. So when Trump gets on his high horse and tells us the fires are our fault for not clearing them, we do the best we can, many with just regular citizens. But we have a lot of forests, especially with older redwood trees that people would get mad if we allowed to burn. Sometimes we’re damned if we do, and damned if we don’t. We’ve had a scary heat wave that’s lasted a long time for us, and unfortunately lots of storms with it over the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Probably the lack of union coordination? A company I worked later closed an office and shipped off to India. What would protesting have achieved in a company with a small % of union memberships?

Car plants, pits, steelworks, etc have a long history of strong union membership. No one cares when a high office or retailer sacks everyone as they aren't seen as traditional industry the area takes pride in.
    Likewise, I wonder how the general public would respond today if Boris and Co decided to reinstate the Poll Tax?

Would central London would go up in flames again just like it did 30 years ago, or would most people probably be more blasé about the whole thing now?

This is just a hypothetical scenario BTW.

Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread Information