Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Re: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

You never know, Lenco. Sometimes humanity surprises me. I thought a lot of people here wouldn't pay attention to the crap that Trump and his crony DeJoy were trying to do to the USPS to stop voting by mail, but people have paid attention, protested, demanded change, and today DeJoy got grilled by Congress.

I see they are at it again across the pond in Wisconsin. It seems like many cops over there never seem to learn and still literally continue to wade in all guns blazing, despite all the global hysteria over the George Floyd incident back in May.

I reiterate that I am not having digs at the USA and Americans in general, just certain aspects of their policing culture.

I just hope (for the umpteenth time) it doesn't provoke copycat disturbances over here with our disaffected inner city youth (of all ethnicities) wilfully ganging up on the police and trashing their own communities simply because they're in pursuit of a big scrap both with each other, and the authorities.

Partake in peaceful (BLM) demos by all means, but not full-on rioting and terroristic antics on the streets of Blighty (and other countries around the world) just for the sake of it.

Yes, I think everyone shares these concerns, LB. No one wants trigger-happy cops or more violent protests.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I see they are at it again across the pond in Wisconsin. It seems like many cops over there never seem to learn and still literally continue to wade in all guns blazing, despite all the global hysteria over the George Floyd incident back in May.

I reiterate that I am not having digs at the USA and Americans in general, just certain aspects of their policing culture.

I just hope (for the umpteenth time) it doesn't provoke copycat disturbances over here with our disaffected inner city youth (of all ethnicities) wilfully ganging up on the police and trashing their own communities simply because they're in pursuit of a big scrap both with each other, and the authorities.

Partake in peaceful (BLM) demos by all means, but not full-on rioting and terroristic antics on the streets of Blighty (and other countries around the world) just for the sake of it.
    There was one in London mid July. The officer has been suspended. Where were all the protests?

One just over a week ago where there was a threat of choke. Not a peep about protests but there are protesters. Not fashionable up north?

Something I question about this is why does it seem to eminate from the US? It was the same with the election of Trump. People marched worldwide. Yet things, many far worse, are happening daily across the world and where are the protestors?

Is it the media? Is it greater mobilisation of activism in the US? (Which brings in the issue of backers)

Did you see the videos from Wisconsin, Terry?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Likewise, I wonder how the general public would respond today if Boris and Co decided to reinstate the Poll Tax?

Would central London would go up in flames again just like it did 30 years ago, or would most people probably be more blasé about the whole thing now?

This is just a hypothetical scenario BTW.
    I really don't know to be honest. I'm not sure the mood is the same. People have been sick of austerity for some time. Many are disgusted by the treatment of the ill & disabled by the DWP (both Labour then Tory). XR have shown up to add a middle class environmental movement. The UK BLM seem to have shaken off the posh white privileged types they were misrepresented by (BLM US were warning of that hijack).

But having said all that are we better off today than back then? Lots of unemployment back then, police corruption, strikes were common, etc. Would today's poll tax protestors just be our usual London types or would more working class people be kicking off?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Did you see the videos from Wisconsin, Terry?
    No, only read the news about it.

Watch them. The initial one where dad gets killed and the one with the 17 year old and the protests. You'll see why. To call it upsetting is an understatement.

Sorry Vee I'm not sure what you mean. My post was asking why UK protest groups are silent over recent UK police injustice. Lenco has been wondering about how quiet it has gone here since recent protests yet events like a London copper being suspended over restraining a suspect with a knee on the neck should surely be the petrol on the fire?

Something I question about this is why does it seem to eminate from the US? It was the same with the election of Trump. People marched worldwide. Yet things, many far worse, are happening daily across the world and where are the protestors?

Is it the media? Is it greater mobilisation of activism in the US? (Which brings in the issue of backers)
    Ohh okay. When I read this part, I thought you were asking why people started protesting again...

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread Information