Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Re: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Ohh okay. When I read this part, I thought you were asking why people started protesting again...
    No, no way. That one is even worse, more violent to me.

I just can't get my head around what kind of psycho does that and thinks he can get away with it now. But I'm thinking of over here. How stupid are some people in the age of everyone with a camera in their pocket?

Doesn't it also re-raise the gun law issue? Some criminal running around with a rifle.

I think one element is US cases are more extreme than ours. We have our deaths too but not like the scale over there. But I do wonder why UK groups pick one case and not another. They've just been tearing down statues and wanting change yet police injustice happens in one of the most multicultural places, even in London, and it's a meh.

Yeah, I can't really speak for people in the UK. All I can imagine is that people see others who look like them being mistreated over here, and they want to do something. I remember in the late 80s/early 90s going to protests about apartheid in SA as a kid even though my holding a sign and shouting all the way over here in the US probably did nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    There was one in London mid July. The officer has been suspended. Where were all the protests?

One just over a week ago where there was a threat of choke. Not a peep about protests but there are protesters. Not fashionable up north?

Something I question about this is why does it seem to eminate from the US? It was the same with the election of Trump. People marched worldwide. Yet things, many far worse, are happening daily across the world and where are the protestors?

Is it the media? Is it greater mobilisation of activism in the US? (Which brings in the issue of backers)
    Perhaps the UK media opted to keep the two recent instances of police brutality here in Blighty lower key in order to reduce the likelihood of widespread mass disturbances.

In the summer of 2017 there was a bit of a disturbance somewhere in Greater London (Dulwich I think) that involved a Black person being killed in the hands of the police, but interestingly it never led to August 2011 all over again, especially at a time when tensions in this country were already running high over many other issues, such as Brexit, ongoing austerity, the then-recent Grenfell Tower tragedy, the (also) then-recent terrorist attacks in both central London itself and Manchester, and the knife crime epidemic to name but a few, but I reckon the national (and international) media might have opted to play it safe and keep it relatively low-key in order to avoid all our other major cities going up in flames once again.

Did you see the videos from Wisconsin, Terry?
    I've seen this now and it doesn't quite match what I read so I think, until we know whether correct procedure was followed, I'll have to reconsider my psycho and getting away with it comment.

If the police are being truthful about the tazering and recovery of a knife on a DV call then it's not as simple. Seven times seems crazy even then but I'm not a firearms trained officer so am unaware of where the line is. But it does seem strange in terms of proximity but there are children in the car. The other officers were further away so one firing can be explained.

As for that white supremacist idiot, glad to see him charged and hopefully a very long sentence will be awarded.

Yeah, I can't really speak for people in the UK. All I can imagine is that people see others who look like them being mistreated over here, and they want to do something. I remember in the late 80s/early 90s going to protests about apartheid in SA as a kid even though my holding a sign and shouting all the way over here in the US probably did nothing.
    S.A. was a big one here too which is not surprising considering our government's support 9ver the years. The outgoing Labour leader can be seen being arrested for protesting over there.

I guess it's the closeness of groups between our countries. I just can't see much being made of offences in other countries.

Well when things happen in other countries, people usually protest outside that country’s embassy here. Californians like to protest Maybe not as much as the French, though.

Yes, same here. Plenty of anti trumping went on outside your embassy in London after he won.

Sounds like London and California share some activities then. Bizarrely your "come to California" adverts on TV just show lots of cool attractive people (and William Shatner) playing games or surfing

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Yes, same here. Plenty of anti trumping went on outside your embassy in London after he won.

Sounds like London and California share some activities then. Bizarrely your "come to California" adverts on TV just show lots of cool attractive people (and William Shatner) playing games or surfing
    Shatner is Canadian, so he doesn't count. That's the thing with California, we have a lot of transplants. The weather is so nice here (most of the time), people come to visit and they don't leave. Some of them make our state better, some of them are just there, and some of them need to go back under the rock they crawled out from LOL

Shatner is Canadian, so he doesn't count. That's the thing with California, we have a lot of transplants. The weather is so nice here (most of the time), people come to visit and they don't leave. Some of them make our state better, some of them are just there, and some of them need to go back under the rock they crawled out from LOL
    There must be a nod to the 'not so royal anymore' in there somewhere, maybe not to the better part though

They're " just here" . So far they haven't really done much. They haven't caused any freeways to shut down or caused us to spend tax dollars on their security.

Edit: I'll add that Meghan was born here, so as long as she pays her taxes to our state, we're good.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread Information