Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Re: Now I'm Under Lockdown Due to Protests and Looting

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Which one would that be? How did I disrespect you? Because no one has a right to not be offended. That's a different matter.

N.
    We can argue about the issues all we want. That's fine. What I don't think is cool is when you make it personally about me. If my teasing bothers you, tell me. I will stop. You don't have to make things personal.

Your comment is making my point. Do you think it's only the educational institutions having these types of meetings and initiatives? Every business in America is having them constantly, including my own.
    Just because these meetings are happening does not mean that all problems are solved. Additionally, there's no harm in reminding employees about the challenges of the past either.

I'm not going to scour the internet to find you examples of systemic racism in every industry. My point was not to dismiss it's concept when historical examples prove that it's a concept in the first place. But if you want something to read, here's the NEA's article from last year on institutional racism in education: http://neatoday.org/2019/10/17/why-n...-about-racism/

But there are millions of poor whites as well.
    I'm not denying this. In fact I alluded to this point when I mentioned that sociologists still argue over which has more impact, race or class.

But I put the blame squarely at the feet of the Democrats.
    I think this is short-sighted. Neither political party is innocent in this. In fact the whole two-party system works to perpetuate itself by ignoring a lot of class issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    We can argue about the issues all we want. That's fine. What I don't think is cool is when you make it personally about me. If my teasing bothers you, tell me. I will stop. You don't have to make things personal.

Just because these meetings are happening does not mean that all problems are solved. Additionally, there's no harm in reminding employees about the challenges of the past either.

I'm not going to scour the internet to find you examples of systemic racism in every industry. My point was not to dismiss it's concept when historical examples prove that it's a concept in the first place. But if you want something to read, here's the NEA's article from last year on institutional racism in education: http://neatoday.org/2019/10/17/why-n...-about-racism/

I'm not denying this. In fact I alluded to this point when I mentioned that sociologists still argue over which has more impact, race or class.

I think this is short-sighted. Neither political party is innocent in this. In fact the whole two-party system works to perpetuate itself by ignoring a lot of class issues.
    No! I welcome the banter. Plus I have the hide of a rhino...so bring it on. But I still don't know what you're referring to. Or does it work this way, you tease, but I insult?

So you admit that systemic racism is something you have to scour for it doesn't leap out at you.

Fascinating topic though.

N.

Look back on page #5 and you'll see what I was referring to.

So you admit that systemic racism is something you have to scour for it doesn't leap out at you.
    Sigh. No N, you probably don't have to "scour" to find articles on it. It's just I'm on my summer vacation. I don't really want to research for you if you don't want to read them all.

Look back on page #5 and you'll see what I was referring to.

Sigh. No N, you probably don't have to "scour" to find articles on it. It's just I'm on my summer vacation. I don't really want to research for you if you don't want to read them all.
    Ah pity...the last dying gasp of a liberal in battle.

Page 5 page 5... thumbing through them now...

I hope you enjoy your vacation Vee!😍

Be careful there, N.

No! I welcome the banter. Plus I have the hide of a rhino...so bring it on
    But you were the one that got butt hurt and went after me personally when I teased you and Hollow about being conspiracy theorists.
    Last edited by AntsyVee; 05-06-20 at 01:19. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by pray4me View Post
    Antsyvee, it seems like you just cannot catch a break! But I am glad to hear you're plodding along.

Regarding examples of systemic racism, here's a link to a Harvard study that shows you're more likely to get a job interview if you "Whiten" your resume: https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/minoritie...l%2003,%202019

There are also plenty of studies (too many to link here) about racial discrimination in rental housing and in public education (Black children are more likely to be placed in special education classrooms etc.)

I do agree though that not all marginalized groups are natural allies, and sometime hold prejudices against one another. But it's also good to see people with multiple oppressed identities (gay person of color) trying to forge unlikely alliances.

It's also good to see businesses and school systems taking concrete steps to address racial and other forms of discrimination. I personally think the way forward is by working together. Thinking in binaries (democrat versus republican, left versus right, liberal versus conservative) leads to further polarization and disaffection.
    It's always one vs another that we hear. I don't know about the US but here the 'true believers' don't win elections. The moderates and swing voters do.

So in UK terms we tend to talk Labour or Conservative. I vote either. I have issues that swing left and right. I don't align with either party. Both sides frustrate those more to the centre. The more they lurch away the worse they appear to the moderates.

I still vote, even though I feel like I'm picking between the lesser of two evils in some presidential races. Even though I think that the two-party system could use some overhauling in some areas, I still think it's my civic duty to vote. Too many people have suffered and sacrificed for my right to do so, IMO. It's only been a hundred years since women have had the right to vote in my country.

But you were the one that got butt hurt and went after me personally when I teased you and Hollow about being conspiracy theorists.
    TDS: HEAR Trump lie. BELIEVE the lie. REPEAT the lie. CHASTISE anyone who doesn't believe the lie.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I still vote, even though I feel like I'm picking between the lesser of two evils in some presidential races. Even though I think that the two-party system could use some overhauling in some areas, I still think it's my civic duty to vote. Too many people have suffered and sacrificed for my right to do so, IMO. It's only been a hundred years since women have had the right to vote in my country.
    I agree. My dad told me why it was important to vote as I left school. He also explained how it can be a lesser of two evils and not to get your hopes up or be come apathetic if things don't change how you want them too. He also stressed how this is a way to make yourself heard as those who complain but refuse to vote aren't willing to put the effort in.

I've rarely voted anything other than the lesser of two evils. I once voted in a local for a man I thought was honourable, a surgeon at our local hospital, and that was in a party I would rarely go for.

We rarely even know about our MPs. But there can be important national interests that take over e.g. Brexit.

I'm pretty involved in local politics, especially making sure we don't have idiots on our school board. We just got an idiot recalled on our city's school board.

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information