Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does tolerance means? Does it have a limit?

What does tolerance means? Does it have a limit?

Hello!
    I want to know the real meaning/explanation of tolerance mentioned in Benzos
    Does it mean that your body and brain will never & ever get enough of the usual drug dose by time, until you reach the toxic fatal dose?
    I take myself as an example, I started Lorazepam in 2016, 1,25mg was enough to get me relief, but now it doesn't kick-in until I pop 5 pills of 2,5mg which equals: 12,5mg
    I'm severly depressed and anxious, and tried many antidepressants with no success, my mental health is extremely poor.
    I dont't even mind if a doctor gives me Tramadol which is addictive too. I'm Hopeless!

Re: What does tolerance means? Does it have a limit?

Quote Originally Posted by SufferingSilent View Post
    Hello!
    I want to know the real meaning/explanation of tolerance mentioned in Benzos
    Does it mean that your body and brain will never & ever get enough of the usual drug dose by time, until you reach the toxic fatal dose?
    Yes, the drug becomes progressively less effective as the number of binding sites diminish, or become less sensitive.

I take myself as an example, I started Lorazepam in 2016, 1,25mg was enough to get me relief, but now it doesn't kick-in until I pop 5 pills of 2,5mg which equals: 12,5mg
    Which is an excessive dose. The recommended daily maximum is 9mg. Is your doctor prescribing that, or are you getting lorazepam elsewhere? If it's your doctor then he/she needs to be held to account.

I'm severly depressed and anxious, and tried many antidepressants with no success, my mental health is extremely poor.
    Benzodiazepines (BZD) should only be used for short periods as they make anxiety, and especially depression worse. They trigger the brain changes that underpin these disorders.

What antidepressants have you tried, how long did you take each of them and at what dose.

I dont't even mind if a doctor gives me Tramadol which is addictive too.
    Which would be a very stupid thing to do.

I'm Hopeless!
    No one is ever hopeless, but it can take a while to find the right treatment.

I want to thank you so much!
    Believe me I'm anxious and deseprate to the point where I cannot even continue this topic.
    I'm sick of myself...
    I think I need to pop up some more Lorazepam to funcionate a bit...
    No doctors had prescribed me more than 1,25mg. I'm just abusing it... on my own.
    I'm currently trying to enter rehab center, but I'm still hopeless, not sure if they can fix me.
    What do you think they will use as medications to get me off this deseperate situation? I think Gabapentin is good? or what about lithium, lamotrigine, ...?
    I'm also thinking to stop abusing Lorazepam and head to Beer/Alcohol since they have same effects, they relief emotions, I want to get the blues I think, because my emotions are dead now, I can't cry to relief, and Im sure you know this means that I'm very close to a suicide.
    I need to mention too, that few days ago I mixed expired Amitrptlyne with Escitalopram and it gave me the Serotonin Syndrome at a mild case, but mild in this situation means hell, thankfully I fixed it by 4 pills of 2,5 Lorazepam.
    RESUME: I'M SUCH A MESS NOW!
    I don't mind killing myself because in my thinking I know that I will die by the end, if not today, than it is tommorrow or after 20 years, but my mothers love me and I don't want to bring her more emotional pain.

I think I need to pop up some more Lorazepam to funcionate a bit...
    Lorazepam isn't helping you to function, it is doing the opposite.

I'm currently trying to enter rehab center, but I'm still hopeless, not sure if they can fix me.
    I know nothing about the Algerian health system and how it works, but I urge you to see a doctor today, or perhaps even better go to the nearest hospital emergency department and tell them what you've posted here.

I'm also thinking to stop abusing Lorazepam and head to Beer/Alcohol since they have same effects, they relief emotions
    No, they don't. Both BZDs and alcohol make this worse. They only fool you into thinking they are helping while they slowly atrophy your brain, literally corrode parts of your brain. It is this loss of brain cells which produces anxiety and depression.

I need to mention too, that few days ago I mixed expired Amitrptlyne with Escitalopram and it gave me the Serotonin Syndrome at a mild case, but mild in this situation means hell, thankfully I fixed it by 4 pills of 2,5 Lorazepam.
    There was probably nothing to fix as serotonin syndrome is unlikely with that combination. However, there are other potential dangers. What were you trying to achieve with this stupidity?

I don't mind killing myself because in my thinking I know that I will die by the end, if not today, than it is tommorrow or after 20 years, but my mothers love me and I don't want to bring her more emotional pain.
    Then stop feeling sorry for yourself and seek help. There is no reason why you can't recover from this and have a happy, fulfilling life, but you need to make the first move.

About the Amitryptline/Escitalopram mix, I was hopeless trying to get a relief from my miserable depression.
    Because currently I cant describe the hell Im living...
    Cant watch a movie
    Cant concentrate reading
    Cant relax in my bed
    Cant listen to music...
    Literally disabled...

Today a doctor started me on this mixture:
    07h00: Clomipramine 25mg / Lamotrigine 100
    (I've heard Lamotrigine is not for major depression, so what is this doctor doing to me?)
    12h00: Clomipramine 25mg / Lamotrigine 100mg / 1.25mg Lorazepam
    22h30: Quetiapine 50mg (for sleep)
    I prefered to take Lorazepam at 12h00 while he told to me to take by night.
    *I fill a very a bit of lift in my mood, I think it is Lamotrigine, even though I've googled about it and it seemed to be a nasty drug that causes serious side effect like rash and Steven Johnson.
    I'm asking is there similar alternatives to Lamotrigine that do not cause rash and Steven Johnon Syndrome.
    Thank you so much panc_under_down for being careful to my case, I was really need someone to give me just of a bit of emotional help like you did.

About the Amitryptline/Escitalopram mix, I was hopeless trying to get a relief from my miserable depression.
    Taking an antidepressant (AD) (or combinations of ADs) does not have an immediate effect on depression (or anxiety). They work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) to replace cells killed, or prevented from growing by high brain stress hormone levels (alcohol and BZDs also do this). The therapeutic response is produced by these new cells and the stronger interconnections they forge, not the meds directly, and they take time to bud, grow and mature. For a more detailed explanations see: Depression and the Birth and Death of Brain Cells (PDF) and How antidepressant drugs act.

Because currently I cant describe the hell Im living...
    Cant watch a movie
    Cant concentrate reading
    Cant relax in my bed
    Cant listen to music...
    Literally disabled...
    This probably isn't all from depression. I suspect the benzodiazepine (BZD) abuse is also a factor.

Today a doctor started me on this mixture:
    07h00: Clomipramine 25mg / Lamotrigine 100
    I'm impressed that he chose clomipramine. Arguably, the most potent non MAOI class AD available. A much better choice, imho, than SSRIs and especial SNRIs.

(I've heard Lamotrigine is not for major depression, so what is this doctor doing to me?)
    I assume it is to lower the risk of seizure from rapidly decreasing the lorazepam dose plus reduce agitation and to lift your mood.

I think it is Lamotrigine, even though I've googled about it and it seemed to be a nasty drug that causes serious side effect like rash and Steven Johnson.
    The risk of these side-effects is tiny, between 0.08-0.3%, plus 100mg is a low dose and I assume you won't be on it for more than a few weeks.

I'm asking is there similar alternatives to Lamotrigine that do not cause rash and Steven Johnon Syndrome.
    There are alternatives, but all medications potentially have some side-effects and given you probably won't be taking lamotrigine for long I see no pressing reason for switching to another med.

I stopped Lamotrigine it gave me auditory Halliculations...
    I was hopeful for it to work for me, now Im such a mess...
    I going to use only Escitalopram (older prescription) in the morning and Lorazepam 1.25 by night.
    I'm done with this!!!
    Sometimes I think of a high dose of Lorazepam to make some courage and thow myself in front of a semi truck in the highway.
    I miss old life
    I miss enjoying massive collections of old music
    I can't concentrate enjoy on anything... no music, no movies, no long walks, no car trips, nothing at all...

I stopped Lamotrigine it gave me auditory Halliculations...
    I was hopeful for it to work for me, now Im such a mess...
    Have you discussed this with your doctor? If not you should.

I going to use only Escitalopram (older prescription) in the morning and Lorazepam 1.25 by night.
    Why the escitalopram and not the clomipramine?

Sometimes I think of a high dose of Lorazepam to make some courage and thow myself in front of a semi truck in the highway.
    Applying a permanent 'solution' to a temporary problem doesn't sound sensible to me, and your problems are temporary. Plus, you might get it wrong and be in an even worse situation than you now are.

I miss old life
    I miss enjoying massive collections of old music
    I can't concentrate enjoy on anything... no music, no movies, no long walks, no car trips, nothing at all...
    There is no reason why you can't have that all again, but there are no quick fixes. This is going to take some time, and it may not always be easy. On thing you need to change is going off on your own path with medication. If you have a problem then you need to discuss it with your doctor, not just change things on your own. Most of these meds need to be taken at the same time every day without fail and at the dose prescribed.

I stopped Clomipramine because I took it in 2016 and it was reaaaaal awesome in the beginning but it lost all effect after only few months, when it worked, I experienced a real new version of me, I was very social, happy, fully satisfied with my mental statue but unfortunantely it stopped...
    I think I have good reaction to only Tetracyclic antidepressant and may be also (Tetracyclic antidepressant which I have never tried one of them)
    What do you think if I ask my doctor to try me on Trimipramine and leave Clomipramine, and in case Trimipramine crashes again I switch back to Clomipramine may be it will work again if it leave my system.
    Need also to mention that most doctors are careless here in my country, they don't even give you their phone numbers, its a mess...
    Sorry panic_under_down sorry for making this topic very long... (I hope you're not bothered)
    I bought Melatonin now and I set up my own prescription like this:
    07h00: Escitalopram 10mg
    21h00: 1.25mg Lorazepam / Melatonin
    I've checked on drugs.com interaction and there is no serious interactions in this.
    The problem is that I can't stay awake and I always force my self to sleep due to depressive mood.

Do tou think I have some kind of dysthymia.
    I remember doctor told me mư case is Pyschique (in French) and he scared me so much saying that, I felt hopeless when he said it...
    Did he meant that my depression is kinda unfixable and very vicious.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information