Thread: Are these eye floaters normal!?

Are these eye floaters normal!?

I was just working out and had basically just started - was doing a move when I'm bent over and had to turn my neck up to look at the computer screen to see what to do next, and suddenly I saw this burst of floaters in my periphery - they lasted about 20 sec or so before disappearing. I naturally have a lot of floaters but they are subtle - these definitely interfered with my vision and were like black swirls that squiggled around my periphery in my left eye before disappearing about 20 sec later. Could this be something serious or would it just be more likely down to the quick movement of my neck? I'm feeling really stressed about it - I'm always nervous about anything eye related because I already get migraine auras occasionally which freak me out!

Also, I exercise quite a bit and have never seen this before - I have had random flashes etc during exercise at times that take a couple min or so to go away, but not floater-type swirls in my periphery. It's also a really overcast day so the bright lighting may have played a part? I'm 23 and freaking out.

Re: Are these eye floaters normal!?

I'm worrying it's a brain tumour because when I was stressed about my migraine aura, everyone told me to calm down because with a brain tumour the visual hallucinations are very brief (not 15-20 min like an aura). Well...this one was very brief (about ~20 sec), so could it be a brain tumour then?

Definitely floaters, I have these all the time. They're annoying as heck but utterly harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Definitely floaters, I have these all the time. They're annoying as heck but utterly harmless.

Thanks for that! Just confused as my floaters are usually always there and subtle - I've never had them appear suddenly and kind of block my vision for 20-30 sec. Have you had that happen too?

They certainly get in my way from time to time, yes.

It's also worth considering that maybe you were just noticing them more than normal, for whatever reason. That can absolutely happen.

I get these a lot, especially in my left eye.
    Also had a check up at the Opticians and all ok.
    I've heard that if you stare at a bright light for a long time it can make them more apparent, i.e. Computer screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimdim101 View Post
    I was just working out and had basically just started - was doing a move when I'm bent over and had to turn my neck up to look at the computer screen to see what to do next, and suddenly I saw this burst of floaters in my periphery - they lasted about 20 sec or so before disappearing. I naturally have a lot of floaters but they are subtle - these definitely interfered with my vision and were like black swirls that squiggled around my periphery in my left eye before disappearing about 20 sec later. Could this be something serious or would it just be more likely down to the quick movement of my neck? I'm feeling really stressed about it - I'm always nervous about anything eye related because I already get migraine auras occasionally which freak me out!

Also, I exercise quite a bit and have never seen this before - I have had random flashes etc during exercise at times that take a couple min or so to go away, but not floater-type swirls in my periphery. It's also a really overcast day so the bright lighting may have played a part? I'm 23 and freaking out.
    I get the same type when I turn y neck too far or at an odd angle.
    I put it down to pinching a nerve in my neck.
    Never been a big problem as they go away quickly/

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

This sounds totally normal to me. When they open again you could book an eye appointment for some reassurance. My optometrist can see mine when she's examining the eye and is never alarmed. They'll also do lots of other checks too and tend to be really thorough and cautious about refering you on if they are concerned.

Thread Information