Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of America descending into civil war

Unhappy Fear of America descending into civil war

Hey everyone.

Although I live in Australia, the current riots, agressive rhetoric of the president and the presence in the unrest of a (small) number of radical groups over in America is getting me worried that a full on civil war could start there, like that in Syria. I just have visions of protesters getting mowed down by live fire, a popular uprising and then military defections resulting in a full scale armed conflict.
    Realistically, I know this scenario is extremely unlikely. America has had a long history of civil unrest and there have been far worse incidences throughout the 20th century, and the circumstances that brought about civil war in Syria for example were very different (America's not a highly authoritarian police state for one thing). It's just the possibility which is getting me really worked up. I chat to a lot of people from America online and so I'm concerned about their safety and dreading the situation exploding.

Re: Fear of America descending into civil war

Quote Originally Posted by Peterthegreatworrier View Post
    America's not a highly authoritarian police state for one thing
    It is now!

Most people that I've run into seem to think that George Floyd was a victim of police brutality. Maybe this one issue will finally unite us.

I have GAD, and this unrest has not been easy to deal with at times, but I have to keep a hopeful outlook. If I get too negative, then I risk falling down into the spiral.

Yes I seen protests in London very worrying that this could spiral into lots of unrest..

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Yes I seen protests in London very worrying that this could spiral into lots of unrest..
    Demonstrate peacefully and responsibly in 'solidarity' (and ultimately with appropriate social distancing) by all means, but full-on 'riots' involving widespread pilfering, vandalism, arson, punch-ups, etc, just for the sake of it here in the UK would be totally inappropriate and a waste of time IMO, and inadvertently exacerbating people's existing fear and MH problems all the more, which would be the last thing we need right now amid a global virus pandemic.

Unfortunately, some people seem to get sucked into the so-called 'pack mentality', especially those that get riled up by misinformation, CTs and OTT stuff in general, both on social media and through real-life hearsay/word-of-mouth.

It's getting worse... protesters are getting mowed down by live fire now!

We'll see what happens tonight.... It's the making of the next Fort Sumpter.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Wait, what's happening tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    Wait, what's happening tonight?
    1st Tweety rally since March... 10's of thousands descending on Tulsa, Oklahoma and Tulsa is a hot spot for COVID right now. They made anyone attending sign a waiver they won't sue if they get sick. You know Tweety and his staff won't be wearing masks... So 20K crammed into an arena with no protection or social distancing. Add to that the anti-Tweetys and it has the making of a local MAGA outbreak Nice eh?

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 20-06-20 at 21:27.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Why do you call him "Tweety"?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information