Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eye cancer fear.

Fear of macular degeneration

Hi all.

I am back again with worrying about my eyes. This is after being checked over at the opticians almost 2 weeks ago and giving the all clear - retnias looked fine, told to go straight to my nearest eye hospital if I get lots of sudden floaters and flashes that don't stop. apart from my vitreous starting to detach causing my flashes of light and floaters.

Woken up this morning and Googled... I know!! Done nothing but Google most of the day and worrying myself sick again.

If I had my eyes checked almost 2 weeks ago and my eye dilated, would macular degeneration have been ruled out?

I ask as a couple of times now at night when I have laid in bed with my younger daughter, landing light still being on so a bit of light coming into the bedroom, closing my eyes for a little then getting up I have noticed black circles that move across my vision. I didn't think nothing of it until this morning when I googled and frightend myself stupid with macular degeneration.

If I remeber I've had something similar a good few years ago and again never thought anything of it.

It's all I am thinking about. Please help:(

Re: Fear of macular degeneration

Hello, I’ve not really got any advice just wanted to let you know your not alone. I posted a couple of days ago with flashes in the corner of my eye and no one replied and it made me feel so anxious. It’s good you’ve been checked at the opticians and I wish you the best of luck. Please feel free to pm me if you need someone to chat with

Sorry just wanted to ask did your optician take a photo of the back of your eyes? If so I would have thought they would have been able to see if macular degeneration was present

Thank you for relying to me.

I didn't have photos taken on this visit as it was an emergency appointment and with all the Covid going on. It was just a dilated eye exam, looking right to thr back of my eye and a check of my vision which is still as clear as it has ever been.

Prior to this I did have an eye exam before in August 2019, due to me getting blurry vision on and off. I was at this point diagnoses with Blepharitis which was causing my symptoms. I did have pictures taken at this time and told my eyes were healthy.

How are your flashes now? I still get them also.

I get those kind of things often. I had my eyes fully tested over a year ago and was advised it was normal wear and tear.

I know it’s not very helpful, but I think maybe you are hyper focused on your eyes and you’re noticing every little change, whilst notmally you might ignore it.

With dilating your pupils they can see so much and there’s no way you’d have been sent away if they thought there was something wrong. I know that’s easy for me to say but at the end of the day they still have a job to do and they would do it properly.
    My flashes come and go there’s no rhyme or reason to them. I seem to notice them more in the evening when the light is dimmer, not sure if that’s a good sign or not.
    I did check up on the nhs website and they say everyone gets flashes/floaters at sometime and as long as your vision isn’t effected and things don’t get worse they should go away on their own.
    I don’t know about you but the way I’m feeling I’m super aware of every little thing my eyes are doing at the moment, just waiting for them to get worse. That’s the anxiety, I have a feeling if we can get over that we might be half way to all these symptoms stopping.

Let me know how you get on

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I get those kind of things often. I had my eyes fully tested over a year ago and was advised it was normal wear and tear.

I know it’s not very helpful, but I think maybe you are hyper focused on your eyes and you’re noticing every little change, whilst notmally you might ignore it.
    Thank you for replying to me.

Do you get these black circular things in your vision?

I am under a lot of stress at the moment, weather that contributes to this I'm not sure. I have not long moved house. Also my daughter is disabled and is quite difficult at the moment due to the current situation - being out of routine and things.

I do have migraines and I have been getting a lot headaches daily, again I don't know if this is related.

You are definitely right - I am definitely hyper focused on absolutely every change in my vision. I wish I would just let this go.

[QUOTE=Bakebeansrule;1949687]With dilating your pupils they can see so much and there’s no way you’d have been sent away if they thought there was something wrong. I know that’s easy for me to say but at the end of the day they still have a job to do and they would do it properly.
    My flashes come and go there’s no rhyme or reason to them. I seem to notice them more in the evening when the light is dimmer, not sure if that’s a good sign or not.
    I did check up on the nhs website and they say everyone gets flashes/floaters at sometime and as long as your vision isn’t effected and things don’t get worse they should go away on their own.
    I don’t know about you but the way I’m feeling I’m super aware of every little thing my eyes are doing at the moment, just waiting for them to get worse. That’s the anxiety, I have a feeling if we can get over that we might be half way to all these symptoms stopping.

I notice my flashes more at night too.

I keep telling myself surely they wouldn't have let me leave with something like this. But having health anxiety I also have in my mind what if they didn't check properly ect ect!!

I'm absolutely aware of everything to do with my vision, also constantly checking how my eyes looks in the mirror!

My son had a little accident tonight. He fell off he's trampoline and banged head head. Taken him to get checked as it felt like he had a dent in he's little head. He's absolutely fine now by the way. But in this time I totally did not think about my eyes I didn't even notice my floaters.

Again, thank you for replying to me. It does help to know your not alone.

My grandad had macular degeneration, the dry form. Im not sure how old you are, fairly young I assume? From learning about his condition, its far, far more common in older people. My grandad was in his late 70s when he developed it, although he never ever complained about anything, so maybe earlier.

Anyway, I dont think your symptoms sound similar at all either. His main symptoms were a ‘blind’ or ‘dark’ spot in the middle of his vision, and blurriness. These got worse as the years went on. Sounds nothing like what youre describing so try not to worry about it!

I get floaters and flashes and sometimes visual migraines.

I’m glad your son is ok, kids keep us on our toes don’t they?!

I promise you that if the optician thought there was anything for you to worry about you would have been told. You know yourself that’s your anxiety making you second guess what you’ve been told.

I just hope that the opticians will re open in the next couple of weeks and I’ll try and get an appointment then. You’ve really helped me tonight with what you’ve been told about the flashing, that if it doesn’t stop I need to get it seen ASAP. Thank you

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information