Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having the WORST time - ovarian and vulvar cancer worries

Vulvar Cancer Fears!

Hello,

I am in a total state of panic. For months now, i've had intense itching on and off on my right labia. I finally plucked up the courage to have a look and that side is DEEP red but there is also a white patch of skin around my episiotomy scar from when I had my first daughter 10 years ago. It looks terrible. I've tried a thrush treatment and it has helped the itching but hasn't taken it away completely. I'm convinced I have vulvar cancer. I'm speaking to the GP tomorrow morning and I feel like I'm going to be sick. Why did I leave it for so long?? :-(

Re: Vulvar Cancer Fears!

Hey how you doing, just wanted to say please try not to worry, I’m also spiralling at the moment so just wanted to say you’re not alone in the way you’re feeling. I’ve had vulva concerns before and saw a gynaecologist, what she did say to me is that vulva cancer develops very very slowly, you’d know about it before it got to that stage so please try to take comfort from that x

You may just need some more thrush treatment. I panic over every symptom, so I know how difficult it can be.

Thank you so much guys. That does make me feel better. I'm speaking to the doctor in 2 hours time and I'll let you know what he says.

Well I spoke to the doctor and I feel even more worried now! I described my symptoms to him and he said that I need to be seen in person (appt next wednesday). I told him I was worried about vulvar cancer and he said "you're right to be worried (!!) but there are lots of other things it could be. Then he asked me about my family cancer history. Feel like I'm going to be sick!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Regards

Elen Admin

Some doctors have no idea how to talk to patients. At least he did say there are lots of other things it could be. Let us know how you get on

Vulvar cancer is extremely rare. Your doctor wants to see you because he can't diagnose over the internet and needs to follow through with patient care. Once you had a telemedicine appointment with him he became liable for providing adequate medical care for you, which he can't do without seeing you in person. The percentage of people who get vulvar cancer in the US for example is .006% each year (20,000 out of 330,000,000). But, if you were one of those people and your doctor didn't bring you in for an appointment after speaking with you and hearing your symptoms, you could easily sue him for malpractice. Additionally, you're uncomfortable and can probably be helped by something as simple as cortisone cream, which he'd also need to see you to confirm. I would not be worried about vulvar cancer.

Having the WORST time - ovarian and vulvar cancer worries

Hello,

I am going through the worst time I've ever been through with my health anxiety. First, a few weeks ago, I was diagnosed with lichen sclerosus on my vulva. I thought it was getting better but I've now looked and it is super red and just looks terrible. It also hurts a bit. Now thinking it is actually vulvar cancer.
    I also went for a pelvic scan a few days ago and they found a cyst on my right ovary.I need to go back in 6 weeks to make sure it's gone or I'll have to be referred. Extremely worried it's ovarian cancer.
    I literally can't calm down. i am completely consumed by the worry over these issues and that I am going to leave my daughters without a mother.

Re: Having the WORST time - ovarian and vulvar cancer worries

Sorry you're having a hard time.

What did the sonographer say about the cyst? They can normally tell whether it is a simple functional cyst, or if it something more irregular. I've had a couple of cysts on my ovaries and they went away after a while. It's very unlikely to be cancer - it's just that sometimes a functional cyst might get too big and cause discomfort or hormone problems, which is why it needs removing.

Have you been given steroid cream for the lichen sclerosus? Perhaps you need a slightly stronger one. I used a really strong one for something similar, years back (clomoderm? Or something?) and that worked eventually!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information