Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What does the rest of the world think about the UK's handling of Covid-19?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I wasn't sure if it had to be included in the Coronavirus discussion thread.

I just wondered what everyone outside of the UK thought about how the pandemic has been handled over here? Looking from the inside-out, we have dealt with it absolutely appallingly, and I find it so hard to comprehend how we have managed to find ourselves in the state that we are in. I don't understand how, with so much warning from badly hit countries, we have ended up being amongst the worst hit.

What's everyone's thoughts and how has other media portrayed us?

Re: What does the rest of the world think about the UK's handling of Covid-19?

Better than the US, that's for sure!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I hate to pass judgment when we’re struggling over here, ourselves. I don’t think any country was completely prepared and a lot are figuring it out as it goes. Our economic systems aren’t really equipped to handle any sustained emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Our economic systems aren’t really equipped to handle any sustained emergencies.

And that's why we should abandon running a fully capitalist economy at a constant 110%

We handled it far worse than everyone else, that's all there is to it.

Another thing that's become ever-more apparent during this pandemic (and on both sides of the Atlantic) is the so-called 'blame culture', where nearly everything is always 'someone else's fault'. And I totally agree the way our (Tory) govt have handled this has been a joke, certain factions of the general public have also been just as much to blame with their failure to co-operate with the requests of the authorities during all of this and the typical self-centred 'screw everyone else' type of attitude, coupled with the press pushing everything to the max as per usual.

On the other hand, Labour, Lib Dems, etc, would have also no doubt been vilified over their perceived handling of this crisis had they been in power, and would have been accused of being overzealous and inadvertently crippling our economy if they imposed our lockdown, especially if done earlier on (which should have actually happened 2-3 weeks earlier than it did). I clearly remember New Labour were also vilified over their perceived handling of previous 'crises' (and often treated unfairly IMO) such as Foot and Mouth in 2001 and the Global Financial Crisis in 2008-09, which like the COVID-19 pandemic (under the Tories), caught New Labour (and the world) completely off-guard!!

Wrong - they would've handled it so much better if they were in power.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    Wrong - they would've handled it so much better if they were in power.
    I agree that they most certainly would have handled it much better, and provided the NHS in particular with the necessary funding and infrastructure, but I was referring more to the 'blame culture' that's so rampant within our society today, where certain individuals often refuse to accept responsibility for their own personal failures, and it's almost always the 'fault' of the authorities, and those pesky foreigners, etc. And this culture has existed under both the Tories and Labour, and across the whole political and social spectra.

A perspective on our Parliament from the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/w...nt-voting.html

Locked down way too late and too many mixed messages given from those in charge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information