Thread: Terrified

Terrified

Hi. This year my HA has been out of control and I have written with various concerns. Now I am worried about ALS as I am having speech issues. I am having difficulties with the letters R and D. With certain words my tongue ‘trips’ over them and slurs my speech. I am in a panic again 😞

Re: Terrified

Quote Originally Posted by minion View Post
    Hi. This year my HA has been out of control and I have written with various concerns. Now I am worried about ALS as I am having speech issues. I am having difficulties with the letters R and D. With certain words my tongue ‘trips’ over them and slurs my speech. I am in a panic again 😞
    I also would like to add that at times my gag reflex is on overdrive especially whilst brushing my teeth. My startle reflex too! My limbs and body jump with reflexes. This must be Hyperreflexia.

How old are you?

Hey minion I'm sorry that you're going through this and I know how you feel because I'm going through the same worry right now.

How fast you jump when being startled doesn't really have anything to do with hyperreflexia. Hyperreflexia is to do with the involuntary reflexes produced from having certain points on your body tapped or manipulated in some way. The only person who could test them would be your doctor.

As you know ALS is extremely rare and even rarer still for young people. To add on to that I believe I've read that 90% of ALS cases start with a drop foot or weak wrist. ALS starting with the tongue would be very rare. I believe your issues with speech are just anxiety related.

Try to be strong. I will pray for you to get peace.
    Last edited by Tohnren; 28-09-22 at 06:04.

My health anxiety is all over the place! I have just been on the forum with worries about bowel cancer!
    Now I am scared again about ALS. A colleague at work accidentally tapped my foot with his and my leg jumped. So I am obsessing about hyperreflexia and ALS. I am 50 so an at risk age group.
    I am trying so hard with my therapy but it gets the better of me.
    My hyperreflexia is not normal

My hyperreflexia is not normal
    Personally I don't even think you have hyperreflexia. You shouldn't even know this term; it is the sign of someone internet searching about a normal bodily response, and coming up with conditions they can diagnose themselves with, so thats certainly not trying hard with your therapy. I'm sure part of your therapy is to not obsessively internet search for conditions ! Anyway, so even if you did have a brief hyperreflexia -

They are also commonly seen in normal but tense people. (Oxford medical)
    .....which is most certainly you !

I try not to google but I have so many health worries going on. I know I make it worse. I am also stressing that anything going on is because I have had the covid vaccine. Strange headaches, eye pressure etc
    Hopeless case I swear!

Thread Information