Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hysterectomy in one month! Yikes!

Hysterectomy in one month! Yikes!

I feel like I've been posting about my retched fibroids for years on here, but come July 8 they - and my good for nothing (except the one delightful kid it grew) uterus will be history.

I'm really nervous about surgery, but trying to think of all the positives like the fact that I'll only have my period one more time for the rest of my life, that I won't be in pain anymore, I won't have these stupid tumors hanging over my head (or my bladder, more accurately), that I can have sex that doesn't hurt - and also not have to worry about getting pregnant! Based on the current size of my uterus it's like I've been 5 months pregnant for TWO YEARS.

Also, in the Covid world, although I maintain a very slight worry about getting it in the hospital, for the most part I'm actually starting to get a bit excited about spending time with people! My husband, daughter, and I have been at home since March 11, so by the time of my surgery it will be nearly 4 months since I've socialized with anyone else. I'm kind of looking forward to chatting with nurses, not having to cook or clean, and eating food - even hospital food! - that I didn't prepare myself.

Not sure the point of this post, but I felt like adding a but of positivity or ways I'm coping/getting over anxiety vs. just panic. Looking on the bright side!

Re: Hysterectomy in one month! Yikes!

I'm really sorry you have to go through this. But at least you're nearly there now, only a month to go.

But what I will say after reading your post is that you have a fantastic outlook about the whole thing. That's half the battle won there. Keep thinking that way and it will make this so much easier for you.

Keep us updated on how you're feeling as the time gets closer, and also when it's behind you.
    I really wish you the very best of luck with it, and when you're at the other side of it you'll be so glad you won't have to suffer from the fibroids anymore.

Take care of yourself, and keep up with the positive mental thoughts and attitude xx

Good luck with your hysterectomy. I had one a year ago, it is a pretty routine operation now. Do you know if it is keyhole? Hang on to your ovaries if you can, guard them with your life

Quote Originally Posted by SnowyGreen View Post
    Good luck with your hysterectomy. I had one a year ago, it is a pretty routine operation now. Do you know if it is keyhole? Hang on to your ovaries if you can, guard them with your life
    It'll be abdominal - vertical cut from my belly button down because of the size of the fibroids. One of them goes up to my belly button and one is growing across my cervix with a bunch of others in between! I am, as long as nothing goes amiss, keeping my ovaries! Even with the giant fibroids they are alway able to see them during my ultrasounds and both also looked normal in the MRI I had last year. So, my surgeon thinks they're safe.

I've had the same incision for my emergency myomectomy years ago, so I'm not *so* worried about that and it's the same surgeon who did a superb job closing me up. It's the vaginal cuff that gives me the heebie jeebies! I'm so afraid the stitches will pop or I'll end up rupturing that part at some point. I know it's rare, but it's the one worry I keep hanging on to.

I have the vaginal cuff, and I'm one year post op now, no problems with it at all. Just take it easy and don't lift anything. Also, be prepared for some bleeding from it a few weeks out. I had spotting and a blood clot come out a few weeks after surgery and freaked out, so I went to the ED and it was completely normal and what happens with the stitches when they start to dissolve.

Thank you for the info, Snowy!

I’m really excited for you to be pain and symptom free after the op. I’m sure you’re getting lots of practical advice in other ways. Being looked after will be a nice little bonus too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Scass! It will really be a relief to be through it!

Wishing you the very best of luck. It's been a game-changer for quite a few people I've known.

Good luck, Erin! I had an emergency abdominal hysterectomy immediately after giving birth and survived to tell the tale so having a planned one is far safer!

You will need to take things very easy of course but it will be such a blessing to get rid of the fibroids and no more periods..ever!! No fear of uterine or cervical cancer either.

Your ovaries won't work as well afterwardsl but I'm sure you'll be advised about this by your gynaecologist.

Just make sure you keep as well and rested as possible before the op.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information