Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hysterectomy in one month! Yikes!

Re: Hysterectomy in one month! Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Good luck, Erin! I had an emergency abdominal hysterectomy immediately after giving birth and survived to tell the tale so having a planned one is far safer!

You will need to take things very easy of course but it will be such a blessing to get rid of the fibroids and no more periods..ever!! No fear of uterine or cervical cancer either.

Your ovaries won't work as well afterwardsl but I'm sure you'll be advised about this by your gynaecologist.

Just make sure you keep as well and rested as possible before the op.
    Oh my, pulisa! That must have been scary and traumatic for you! I am holding on to the fact that the planning is going to make it safer. I had an emergency myomectomy years ago when another fibroid went nuts and it was really terrifying. I remind myself this is the reason I'm planning this out - so I have control over my preparation, etc...

I've started preparing at home, too - I did a massive clean out of junk in the house last weekend and fixed our dishwasher. I've started going for more walks, but now vowed to walk at least 2-3 miles every day until the surgery. I'm not in great shape and the lockdown has made that even worse. So, I'm going to get that exercise in and also try and stick with intermittent fasting from now util them, which always helps with my gut health and reflux (which will also hopefully improve once these fibroids stop pushing my stomach up!)

Doctors are always so optimistic about hormone issues, but I have done a lot of research and know that there's a chance my ovaries won't ramp back up to full power. Although no one has every officially diagnosed me, I'm almost positive my estrogen levels are out of wack, which is why I get these rapidly growing fibroids. I'm also a total basket case during ovulation (depressed, anxious, in the most pain), which according to my former shitty doctor isn't possible because it's when I'm supposed to feel good. I wonder if my ovaries slowing their roll a bit might improve my mood!

It's always a good idea to do a bit of "pre-hab" before surgery to make sure that you're in the best possible shape for your op..

Planning for surgery will make you feel much more in control and it's going to be nice and warm for when you are recovering too..It won't be like your previous emergency surgery and your hysterectomy will mean an end to all the pain you have suffered from the fibroids.

Just make sure you take advantage of all the pain killing meds you are offered and don't be "brave"!! Getting mobile post-op is hard but definitely helps with recovery..and no doubt the physios will be working on you as soon as they can!!

I love that term pre-hab! I had planned to spend Jan-May getting in shape for this (the original date was May 13) and then, of course, Covid arrived and changed all of that! It's actually been kind of nice to have a goal ahead after all this lockdown and the walking has been good for my soul!

Maybe Covid has served some small purpose in that you've had the time to concentrate on getting mentally and physically fit for your surgery?At least now there are far less "routine" bugs doing the rounds so you won't have any coughs or colds to avoid in the run up to July.

You are going to feel so much better all round after you've recovered from the op.Abdominal surgery is tough but you're young and fit and will bounce back quickly but you must avoid lifting for 6 weeks and take things easy!

Maybe Covid has served some small purpose in that you've had the time to concentrate on getting mentally and physically fit for your surgery?At least now there are far less "routine" bugs doing the rounds so you won't have any coughs or colds to avoid in the run up to July.

You are going to feel so much better all round after you've recovered from the op.Abdominal surgery is tough but you're young and fit and will bounce back quickly but you must avoid lifting for 6 weeks and take things easy!
    That's true. In many ways it threw me off my game, but in other way's it's been a blessing. My initial plan was to have my surgery three days after my law school finals. This would have given me more recovery time, but I realize now that it almost definitely would have been a huge distraction for studying and taking tests. It also would have meant that I was down for the count for my daughter's birthday two weeks later. The past few months have been really hard, but it has been nice to have this unexpected time with her.

I'm glad you have had some good things to take from the Covid "experience" if you can call it that..and spending more time with your little girl has got to be a bonus! Have you told her much about your op and what will happen at home when you are in hospital?

I'm glad you have had some good things to take from the Covid "experience" if you can call it that..and spending more time with your little girl has got to be a bonus! Have you told her much about your op and what will happen at home when you are in hospital?
    I have been explaining it to her. She's a really mature and introspective 6 year old and really likes to understand everything that's going on, so I've been really upfront about exactly what I'm having done and what the recovery will be like. I even told her that in a few years she'll be jealous when she gets her period and I don't have mine anymore. I know it'll still be hard on her, but I'm hoping my mom will be able to come down to stay for a bit. She *adores* her and will definitely be well entertained and occupied if she has Grammie to play with!

That will be a huge help for you if she is able to come because it takes the pressure off you and you can recover at your own pace.

My Mum died a year before my daughter was born and I remember vividly how much I missed her and needed her to be around when I was in hospital and attempting to look after my newborn daughter and recover at the same time! If you can get her to come then it will be such a weight off your mind and you're never too old to need your Mom/Mum!

That will be a huge help for you if she is able to come because it takes the pressure off you and you can recover at your own pace.

My Mum died a year before my daughter was born and I remember vividly how much I missed her and needed her to be around when I was in hospital and attempting to look after my newborn daughter and recover at the same time! If you can get her to come then it will be such a weight off your mind and you're never too old to need your Mom/Mum!
    I can imagine that must have been so hard, pulisa!

I've been doing well but today I'm feeling overwhelmed by doom, haha. The closer I get the more the invasive thoughts push and push. I just scrolled past a post someone made in a hysterectomy group I'm in about blood clots and I started to panic. I had initially been terrified of the idea of getting one after surgery but hadn't thought about them in months. Blarg. I think I'm just generally getting bogged down by the world. I keep reminding myself that I am not the center of the universe and all that's going on around me doesn't change anything about my specific surgery and recovery.

It's inevitable that you are going to get people recounting their post-op complications in these groups, I'm afraid..It doesn't mean that you will have the same experience. You are going to have a safe and planned operation carried out by a surgeon you trust and who will be taking good care of you. It's pointless and exhausting to speculate on what may or may not happen post-surgery. Your surgeon will be aware of any potential complications if indeed there are any..I survived emergency surgery with a womb which had just held a full term baby so not ideal!! And that was 29 years ago so in the Dark Ages!

Have faith in the skills of your surgeon and my advice would be to steer clear of triggering experiences online.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information