Page 31 of 67 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Increase in anxiety/panic, when I try to relax!

Re: Increase in anxiety/panic, when I try to relax!

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    The dragon analogy for example, can be counter productive to some as it precludes the sufferer from dealing with their own fate. It implies that there is an external monster to battle, which is almost never the case. Meds cannot solve the issue of somebody that's creating their own problems in the way the OP is here. They won't even touch it unless placebo is in full effect.
    Respect AJoe... The dragon? I see it as an individual circumstance and behavior(s) created by the sufferer. Some will be like dragons of legend, breathing fire, destructive, aggressive and always hunting, and some are a kin to Pete's Dragon, placid much of the time but don't piss it off That said, the dragon's fate is always up to the individual.

And no, while I've had my share of stressors in my life, I never reached the level of irrationality or crippling anxiety and depression I see on the boards. Despite the challenges, my mind never went to the depths of despair I see here. The depression I dealt with, while daunting, never totally stopped me from living and I recognized it for what it was and sought help. That's where the meds really helped. Its interesting though. I didn't really feel much different but people around me noticed a difference. They said I seemed happier and more upbeat. When it was pointed out is when I realized the meds were having a positive effect and I was fortunate in that the only side effect was a dodgy stomach and bowels. Something as simple as not mentally debating whether I should go for a hike or go fishing was a positive step as before I would argue with myself end up not doing anything and attribute it to just being lazy. I wasn't lazy, I was depressed.

AJoe, you possess an inner fortitude that most don't. To overcome what you have on your own is something rarely seen here. Hopefully, it inspires others to take personal responsibility and action. Meds or no meds, again, it comes down to the individual. Words on a screen are just that unless acted upon.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Respect AJoe... The dragon? I see it as an individual circumstance and behavior(s) created by the sufferer. Some will be like dragons of legend, breathing fire, destructive, aggressive and always hunting, and some are a kin to Pete's Dragon, placid much of the time but don't piss it off That said, the dragon's fate is always up to the individual.
    The analogy is sound, but I think it has to be used with caution simply because of interpretation. It's entirely possible for some people to perceive the dragon as a removal of their own responsibility to fight. If it's a dragon, it's not their actions that are causing the problem is it?

That's where the meds really helped. Its interesting though. I didn't really feel much different but people around me noticed a difference. They said I seemed happier and more upbeat. When it was pointed out is when I realized the meds were having a positive effect and I was fortunate in that the only side effect was a dodgy stomach and bowels.
    Devils advocate. The feedback from people around you is possibly more of a factor here than the meds. I also believe you have a strong mental fortitude that allows you to be able to prevent anxiety rather than cure it. Some people find it easier to shrug off, and I believe you're one of those people.

AJoe, you possess an inner fortitude that most don't. To overcome what you have on your own is something rarely seen here. Hopefully, it inspires others to take personal responsibility and action.
    I'm not sure about that. I gave into it too many time and ultimately it took me over a decade to really 'win'. But my anxiety WAS so bad (measured with the Hamilton test prior to CBT and it got a lot worse 2-3 years later) that I would go weeks on end without even getting dressed or going out. The way I see it is that if I could do it, anybody can. And that's why I'm so adamant about the things I learned. And I do hope it inspires other people, because real world help and advice is hard to come by. Some people need their hands holding, some people need a bit of a kick up the ass. It's such a personal journey, but the basic 'rules' are the same for everybody, it's just that the description of the rules has to be tailored to suit.

You might not think it, but I do really appreciate the advice. I have a couple of your posts screen shot on my phone to refer to during the tough times.

Quote Originally Posted by PHR View Post
    You might not think it, but I do really appreciate the advice. I have a couple of your posts screen shot on my phone to refer to during the tough times.
    I don't doubt you do for a second dude. I used to do the same thing with another anxiety site. The 'hard lesson' stuff is only to try and push you in the right direction sooner rather than later.

One more thing, do you handle derealisation and depersonalisation with the same 'let it be' attitude as every other symptom? As thats what I've got now, like I'm watching myself. I think with my efforts to get on the front foot a bit today have overwhelmed me a bit, but there have been positives and negatives.

It's all the same. It's all one thing.

You don't have to take action about any symptom because while you're suffering with it there's very little you can actually do about it other than shrug and walk off.

A trap a LOT of people get into with anxiety (myself included) is to try and fight each individual symptom. The problem with that is anxiety can cause virtually any symptom your physiology is capable of throwing at you. It's like playing whack-a-mole, except it never ends. All you really have to do is focus on the source of the issue, which is the mental side of it.

You feel something....how do you react? That's it. That reaction is everything. Even if you FEEL like panicking and screaming, pretending to shrug it off is sending a signal to the subconscious to be cool.

Let me give you an example. Your nephew falls over and scrapes his knee, it's bleeding. He looks up in pain, do you....

A) Laugh and say 'you silly thing'

or

B) Run over screaming saying 'oh my god oh my god!!!!!'

In both cases he has experienced the same trigger, but do you think his reaction will be the same based on what you do?

Yep, makes sense.

I think I'm monitoring what I'm doing / if I'm doing the right things / if there is anything I should be doing, way too much. This is where a bit of a routine would come in handy I think, so I'm not constantly second guessing myself and giving my mind chance to question, doubt and scare myself.

Well. yes. There's only one thing to do and that's act normal. You know, 'normal'.

I never used to believe it, but you are what you think. If you think it's no big deal, eventually it won't be.

If you think 'this is hell', that is where you will live.

I think I remember what 'normal' is! Haha.
    That's it, the key for me is putting focus in everything else, and trying to make anxious thoughts and worries become secondary, rather than anxiety being primary, and everything else secondary... like it is now.

Normal for anybody is the routine they set for themselves. You are a product of your reaction to situations. So react the way you want to be in 3 months.

Page 31 of 67 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread Information