Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Increase in anxiety/panic, when I try to relax!

Re: Increase in anxiety/panic, when I try to relax!

Quote Originally Posted by PHR View Post
    I mean what's caused the anxiety disorder.

You can play down the anxiety all you want, and I know I should too, but I'm crippled by it, so we can call it 'a bit of anxiety' all we like, but that is a ridiculous description of what I'm going through, and there is no way I can post that... what would be the point? It's not 'melodramatic', it's just not pretending that's it's better than it is.

It's killing me in that I'm running out of options, and am terrified of where this is heading.

As long as you say you're crippled and it's killing you, that is where you will stay.

We've been through this too, you have to pretend/bluff your way out of it to a certain extent.

Why can you not accept that? Not a rhetorical question, is there a reason you don't want to tell yourself you can do this, this will pass, things will get better etc?

You make it sound like I'm deciding to be anxious.

No, that is constantly what I'm trying to do, I'm constantly downplaying in my own head, but there is no point in down playing it on a post is there? How would that even work!? It's also blatantly obvious that I'm lying to myself. I don't think deep down that I believe I can, or ever will get better, as even with everything I'm doing, I'm becoming more and more anxious, and it's scaring me.

You make it sound like I'm deciding to be anxious.

No, that is constantly what I'm trying to do, I'm constantly downplaying in my own head, but there is no point in down playing it on a post is there? How would that even work!? It's also blatantly obvious that I'm lying to myself. I don't think deep down that I believe I can, or ever will get better, as even with everything I'm doing, I'm becoming more and more anxious, and it's scaring me.

I've also explained this before. I have never once said that you are deciding to be anxious.

You don't have a choice about being anxious (right now), but you DO have a choice about how you react to your anxiety.

What you are choosing to do is keep trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't have an immediate solution (even your therapist has suggested this), and also choosing to repeat negative tropes about your situation. You are doing the opposite of what people are suggesting you do. I find that odd. Even not typing it out 'I'm dying, it's killing me' etc would be a start.

Joe's right. By continually typing it out, you're actually reinforcing it. You're essentially teaching yourself to be afraid.

Think about it - one of the most effective ways of learning something is to write notes on it and re-read them.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I've also explained this before. I have never once said that you are deciding to be anxious.

You don't have a choice about being anxious (right now), but you DO have a choice about how you react to your anxiety.

What you are choosing to do is keep trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't have an immediate solution (even your therapist has suggested this), and also choosing to repeat negative tropes about your situation. You are doing the opposite of what people are suggesting you do. I find that odd. Even not typing it out 'I'm dying, it's killing me' etc would be a start.
    I know, but like I said, there is no way of posting on here without saying how bad my anxiety levels are, and what I write is just the truth about how I'm feeling. Pretending I was OK, would be like ringing the doctor to tell him you're fine.

Hasn't your psychologist said that there is limited value to continually posting about how bad you feel on here? Does she know you are posting regularly on an anxiety forum when it clearly serves no purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Hasn't your psychologist said that there is limited value to continually posting about how bad you feel on here? Does she know you are posting regularly on an anxiety forum when it clearly serves no purpose?
    My psychologist isn't really helping me at all, which is why I'm posting on here I think.... this just dawned on me, and I've just sacked her.

Pretending I was OK, would be like ringing the doctor to tell him you're fine.

No, it's really not.

My psychologist isn't really helping me at all, which is why I'm posting on here I think.... this just dawned on me, and I've just sacked her.
    But why are you posting on here? Every piece of advice you're given you say 'yeah but' and then go on to explain how bad you feel and why you can't do it.

What it the purpose of you being here? Genuine question.

I was wondering that myself. I've been trying really hard to help a person who's hurting, but every time I try to give practical advice or explain the need to re-frame things, I'm ignored.

I know how hard these things are to shift, but basic mental first aid can really make a difference when things are spiralling.

Sometimes you're just better off working things out for yourself without the "audience" of an online forum. No opportunity to offer the "Yes But" option then.

Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread Information