Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Increase in anxiety/panic, when I try to relax!

Re: Increase in anxiety/panic, when I try to relax!

You know when I said shutup it was for effect, right?

I mean shutup to yourself as much as anything.

Your journey is going to be a long one, and nobody expects you to do what we are saying and be better by dinner. But you will get there, it just takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by PHR View Post
    I know, and I apologise if that came over wrong, it was just me trying to explain how my day has been. I didn't mean to sound dramatic, and I'm not trying to make out my anxiety is special or any worse than anyone else's, I just wish I could view it how you described. I want to be able to just view it as a discomfort that I can tolerate, but I can't.

I know being able to reduce the impact the anxiety has on me, and being able to not be so frightened of it would be the biggest step I could take.
    Why do you think it would be so impossible for you.. in time.. to view your anxiety as an inconvenience though? You can't yet because your brain thinks that it is the worst thing ever. You've analysed your anxiety to death so it's the one and only focus of your life now. You need to get your life back and turn down the anxiety alert switch. Does it help meeting up with friends? Can you get any distraction from doing other things?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Why do you think it would be so impossible for you.. in time.. to view your anxiety as an inconvenience though? You can't yet because your brain thinks that it is the worst thing ever. You've analysed your anxiety to death so it's the one and only focus of your life now. You need to get your life back and turn down the anxiety alert switch. Does it help meeting up with friends? Can you get any distraction from doing other things?
    In time, that's where I would love to get to.

I know, the thing is, even with the anxiety, I have quite a full life, I just struggle to concentrate on it at the minute, and get my mind into life. I have a good job that I do from home, friends, family, everything you would think would result in a happy life.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    You know when I said shutup it was for effect, right?

I mean shutup to yourself as much as anything.

Your journey is going to be a long one, and nobody expects you to do what we are saying and be better by dinner. But you will get there, it just takes time.
    Not really, I took it pretty literally, but I know what you mean, I need to hold other things in my mind instead of just catastrophising and evaluating anxiety.

I need to hold other things in my mind instead of just catastrophising and evaluating anxiety.

Absolutely bingo. There is no value in paying attention to it or trying to evaluate it. It accomplishes nothing.

If you find yourself focusing on it, give yourself a mental 'oh shut up'. Get bored with your own mental state, tell it you're tired of it's nonsense. Walk away from it when you feel bad. Literally stand up and walk away, say 'BOOOOOORIIIIING' out loud. You'd be surprised at how effective this is over time.

Absolutely bingo. There is no value in paying attention to it or trying to evaluate it. It accomplishes nothing.

If you find yourself focusing on it, give yourself a mental 'oh shut up'. Get bored with your own mental state, tell it you're tired of it's nonsense. Walk away from it when you feel bad. Literally stand up and walk away, say 'BOOOOOORIIIIING' out loud. You'd be surprised at how effective this is over time.
    I will try that.

I'm just working this morning, trying to concentrate on that, and leaving the mental chatter alone. I had quite a relaxed hour last night, so I'm reminding myself of that sometimes when my mind starts making predictions. It hasn't been a good morning, but I'm just tolerating it.

I'm going to try for a run in a bit, as I haven't been for a few days.

I will try that.

I'm just working this morning, trying to concentrate on that, and leaving the mental chatter alone. I had quite a relaxed hour last night, so I'm reminding myself of that sometimes when my mind starts making predictions. It hasn't been a good morning, but I'm just tolerating it.

I'm going to try for a run in a bit, as I haven't been for a few days.
    A run is lovely to set you up for the day. A morning run will practically kill any anxiety throughout the day. Wish I could go for one today tbh but holed up in bed resting.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    A run is lovely to set you up for the day. A morning run will practically kill any anxiety throughout the day. Wish I could go for one today tbh but holed up in bed resting.
    Sorry, I've only just seen this message.

Going for a run seems to go one of two ways, sometimes it really helps, and sometimes my mind wanders somewhere and it makes me feel worse (like it has done today), but that's just because my issue is intrusive thoughts and relentless analysing of my condition at the moment.

It has helped me in the past though, and I want to get back to it.

but that's just because my issue is intrusive thoughts and relentless analysing of my condition at the moment.

J (Wired), tell him

J (Wired), tell him
    Hey?

Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread Information