Thread: I forget to breath

I forget to breathe

Can anyone relate to this? When I’m trying to fall asleep my breathing gets shallower & shallower & then I forget to breath & jolt upright with a gasp. This happens every night. It’s also recently started happening in the day a lot when I’m concentrating on something on TV or reading an article. I suddenly bolt upright & gasp for air. I haven’t even been thinking about my breathing when it happens, it just comes out of nowhere. Sometimes I get a heart palpitation that makes me breath again, sometimes I just suddenly gasp. It’s freaking me out because I feel like maybe I’ll suffocate one day, sometimes it takes me a few seconds to get my breath.
    Last edited by Greengumdrop; 07-06-20 at 09:55.

Re: I forget to breath

I get it all the time, like you if i am doing something i forget and also the same when i am going to sleep. I gat sleep apnea which happens when i asleep and i stop breathing and wake straight up in a panic and it makes me feel nauseous too. There is a youtube video on here it gives exercses to strengthen the throat and tongue and it really helps .
    By the way you won't suffocate I have had this for thirty years .

Thanks, I have wondered if it’s an Apnea or if it could be anxiety related. I wake up in a panic too & the feeling of not breathing is giving me panic attacks. I had a sleep study done on Thursday with the NHS, I hope I get my results soon. Once I know what this is I’ll hopefully calm down a bit.

You are very lucky my gp wont do anything about my sleep problems , I am pleased I hope you find some help ,

Thank you. Have you not been diagnosed with the apnea then? I went to the GP and said I was waking up gasping for air. He referred me to the respiratory department & they arranged the sleep study. If you tell your GP you’re gasping hopefully you can get a referral too. If not maybe you can see a different GP

Thread Information