Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low dose nortriptyline

Re: Low dose nortriptyline

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Nortriptyline is only mildly sedating. Its parent amitriptyline is much more potent in that regard. Unfortunately, this is the biggest drawback of most antidepressants, they often make anxiety worse in the beginning. It usually diminishes after a week, or two, but may return for a while following dose increases.
    If you're looking for a sedating effect then Ami is the one to try and I'd try a low dose if the Nortripyline doesn't suit you. I don't know what dose you're taking but I didn't get any anxiety symptoms on either Doxepin (unavailable now) or Ami. The only noticeable symptoms I had was dry mouth and that wears off after a while.

TCA's suit some people's systems whereas the SSRI's and SNRI's just don't due to bad anxiety. It's good they're still available.

1. We did the hard months in lockdown abiding by rules for you to get here.
    2. No one gives a shit if you prefer white towels or hotels with sea views.
    You're in quarantine for fourteen days ...obey the rules.

Just an update on this. Been taking it for 6 or 7 weeks now. The nortriptyline is going well. All the side effects disappeared after the first few weeks. However right now I feel like the chronic pain and IBS treatment benefits are also starting to wear off. I’m thinking I might ask for a higher dose. I’m only on 10mg. I have my follow up appointment next week to assess things with my doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Librella View Post
    However right now I feel like the chronic pain and IBS treatment benefits are also starting to wear off. I’m thinking I might ask for a higher dose. I’m only on 10mg.
    The usual nortriptyline dose range for pain and IBS is 10-50mg with most taking 25-50mg.

I increased to 25mg. It's been a week and I don't feel any different, still like the efficacy has worn off which is disappointing. Will it take another few weeks for the benefits of the increased dose to be seen?

I increased to 25mg. It's been a week and I don't feel any different, still like the efficacy has worn off which is disappointing. Will it take another few weeks for the benefits of the increased dose to be seen?
    It (and other ADs) typically takes 4-6 weeks to reach peak effectiveness for general pain and migraines so don't give up on it yet.

I’m having some unpleasant side effects now. Dry mouth and constipation. I’m taking this for ibs so it’s just made me swing the other way! I messaged my doctor, but does anyone know if these side effects will fade after a few weeks or will it be something I deal with long term? I noticed the change when I went from taking 2 of the 10mg pills together to just one 25mg pill 2 weeks ago but I wouldn’t think there was so much difference in 5mg.

I’m having some unpleasant side effects now. Dry mouth and constipation. I’m taking this for ibs so it’s just made me swing the other way! I messaged my doctor, but does anyone know if these side effects will fade after a few weeks or will it be something I deal with long term? I noticed the change when I went from taking 2 of the 10mg pills together to just one 25mg pill 2 weeks ago but I wouldn’t think there was so much difference in 5mg.
    It seems the extra 5mg has taken the dose above the tripping point. Dry mouth and constipation are frequent ongoing side-effects of some TCAs due to their effect on acetylcholine receptors. I can't say whether they will be transient, or permanent. At typical antidepressive doses they would probably be permanent, but at low doses they may diminish after a few weeks. If they are still an issue after 4-6 weeks they will likely continue to some extent as long as you're taking nortriptyline. Sipping water and stool softeners should help.

Update:
    It's been about a year since I started nortriptyline and I'm still on the 25 mg.
    It's been helpful for pain but it took about 6 months to finally see all the benefits. Now, I've been having some pain creep up again. For IBS, it definitely helped my chronic daily problems but as you can probably see from my post history I still have quite a lot of inconsitency there. Also, the constipation caused by nor is sometimes rough. It hasn't helped with appetite/weight gain at all either even though tcas can cause weight gain supposedly. I'm not taking anything specifically for anxiety right now and have been debating talking to a psych about switching things up but I'm scared of possible withdrawal/relapse if I go off the nortriptyline. GI, GP, and therapist don't communicate with each other about meds of course. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this.

It doesn't seem like TCAs are very popular at all considering the lack of activity in this forum.

Also, the constipation caused by nor is sometimes rough.
    Constipation and dry-mouth are usually the main ongoing TCA side-effects. A high fibre diet and drinking lots of water helps. Fortunately, consitpation hasn't been a problem on the TCA I'm on now despite on paper it being the TCA most prone to it, but it was on high doses of imipramine. I found adding about a tablespoon of crushed linseed, aka flax seed sprinkled on the morning cornflakes helped.

It hasn't helped with appetite/weight gain at all either even though tcas can cause weight gain supposedly.
    This is true of most ADs, not just TCAs. The only ones that usually don't are bupropion (Wellbutrin) and trazodone, though even with these a few gain weight. Bupropion is a very stimulating ADs which can have those with anxiety disorders almost literally climbing the walls, however, small doses, <=75mg/day, taken with other ADs can ease weight gains.

I'm not taking anything specifically for anxiety right now and have been debating talking to a psych about switching things up but I'm scared of possible withdrawal/relapse if I go off the nortriptyline.
    You don't necessarily need to quit nortriptyline if taking a SSRI. Before SNRIs it was common for psychiatrists to prescribe it in addition to a SSRI to create a bespoke SNRI for treatment-resistance anxiety, and/or depression. The combo is still arguably a better option than taking a SNRI.

GI, GP, and therapist don't communicate with each other about meds of course.
    Sigh!!!

It doesn't seem like TCAs are very popular at all considering the lack of activity in this forum.
    Put that down to ignorance. Most doctors these days have little experience of anything other than SSRIs/SNRIs and mirtazapine. TCAs are often more effective than SSRIs with fewer initial side-effects and withdrawal symptoms are are less likely to poop-out. The only advantages SSRIs have is safety in overdose, and even this isn't true of all of them, and they are less likely to cause constipation, though it can be a problem for some.
    Last edited by panic_down_under; 14-06-21 at 01:01. Reason: typos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information