Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Outrage over historical films, TV shows, songs, etc.

Re: Outrage over historical films, TV shows, songs, etc.

I can't remember as to whether I've already mentioned this before, but I was once called a racist due to admitting my dislike of black toilet seats.

FGS, Toilet seats are simply senseless, non-thinking inanimate objects that we simply place our bums on whilst we tend to the call of nature, not living creatures that are brainy, highly emotional and sensitive!!

Most of this BS emanates from flaky, clueless 'professionally offended' who have nothing better to do than spend days at a time scouring media for something to take offence at.Don't they realise that like Rhett Butler most normal thinking people don't give a damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I can't remember as to whether I've already mentioned this before, but I was once called a racist due to admitting my dislike of black toilet seats.

FGS, Toilet seats are simply senseless, non-thinking inanimate objects that we simply place our bums on whilst we tend to the call of nature, not living creatures that are brainy, highly emotional and sensitive!!
    LOL This makes me think of several questions:

1) What is the difference between a black toilet seat and a white toilet seat other than color?
    2) Have you tried all of the other colors of toilet seats and just found that white was the best?
    3) What is it about the black ones that you dislike?
    4) Maybe your a$$ is just racist, not you?

And is white dog poo really a choice, a nod to your klan brothers?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    LOL This makes me think of several questions:

1) What is the difference between a black toilet seat and a white toilet seat other than color?
    2) Have you tried all of the other colors of toilet seats and just found that white was the best?
    3) What is it about the black ones that you dislike?
    4) Maybe your a$$ is just racist, not you?
    There are several reasons why I dislike black toilet seats.

First and foremost, probably association with early childhood, as the seats on both toilets in the (council) house me and my family lived in between my ages of 1 1/2 and 7 3/4 sported them, coupled with the fact that they were pretty much de-rigueur in public toilet facilities, schools, hospitals, and 'governmental' establishments in general, so a combo of the rocky road of toilet training from the age of 2 1/2 and the traumatic experiences often associated with it (especially with me having AS) coupled with the 'institutionalised' image they represent.

Secondly, they have been reputed to harbour (and mask) bacteria more so than most of their white (and other coloured) counterparts, and many older models appear to corrode over time, with the top surface that we sit on to do our business feeling more like sandpaper as time goes on and the growth of what resembles white-coloured 'bacteria' also appears to develop over time, though surely most newer models are specially pre-treated during manufacture which might eliminate or at least reduce the likelihood of such occurrences.

And to put the record straight, I don't have any issue with Black people in general, as with any person of any ethnicity, I take them person by person.

Ah, okay, that makes more sense now.

And to put the record straight, I don't have any issue with Black people in general, as with any person of any ethnicity, I take them person by person
    I know Lenco. I was just teasing you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    From the BBC:

Regarding conductor Dalia Stasevska (a Finlander) wanting to reduce “… the patriotic elements” of the BBC Proms, Boris Johnson said:

“… I think it's time we stopped our cringing embarrassment about our history, about our traditions and about our culture, and we stop this general bout of self-recrimination and wetness."

I have to agree with our Akela wholeheartedly; and I’ve never cringed with embarrassment about any of this. As I’ve mentioned before, it’s strange how everyone else’s culture, traditions, values and history are, seemingly, more worthy and acceptable than our own. Apparently, Mr Johnson was ‘… advised against speaking out on the matter.’ Oh for heaven’s sake!
    Although I'm kind of on the fence at the present stage over this, it does seem as though certain factions of our population are forever looking for the slightest little things to get outraged and indignant over.

Whilst I can generally see both sides of the argument, it really does amaze me as to why we're suddenly getting our knickers in a twist right now in 2020 over certain things that weren't considered such a big deal in 2019 and before, such as banning our national anthems and even talk of changing the names of certain pubs, all down to supposed links with historical slave trade and other aspects of our past that are considered highly problematic by today's standards.

Will we be closing and banning places like museums, art galleries, local heritage centres and stately homes next, because some of their contents and information on display might trigger certain individuals?

Even places like zoos and safari parks to avoid any potential aggro from the likes of animal rights protesters with extremist tendencies.

All in all, proper education on such matters is the key, and ultimately from the most balanced and rational points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Aye, and there’s the rub! Who in our society are the ones with sufficient knowledge, broadness of mind and fairness of opinion to be trusted with the task? Given that history is a recorded partial perspective – “… a fable agreed upon…” suggested Napoleon –just who is qualified to define the past? Genuine impartiality is scarce or confused with its subtle impostor, compromise, and definitiveness will always be burdened with questionable implications.
    This is exactly it, Pain. I think most minorities (speaking as a minority in my own country) of all kinds just want a seat at the table. For a long time, many minorities have not be considered or included in this process.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread Information