Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Outrage over historical films, TV shows, songs, etc.

Re: Outrage over historical films, TV shows, songs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Visit the ‘Black Country’ (not racist!) in England’s West Midlands and ask for faggots (not derogatory!) and peas (pronounced ‘pays’, apparently). Someone will direct you to a place selling meat balls (not derogatory!) and pureed green mush (possibly peas!). If you ask what the faggot (not derogatory!) contains, you might feel a little queer (not derogatory!) at the thought of eating chopped up pork offal wrapped in a piece of stomach lining and served in thick (not derogatory!) onion gravy. While you’re waiting for this colloquial dish to be prepared and cooked, you can go outside and have a quiet fag (un-PC but not derogatory!).

Let’s stop all this over-sensitive pussy-footing (not derogatory or suggestive!) and call a spade a spade (not racist!). Surely it’s the intended meaning with which the word is used rather than the word itself that’s important…? Where’s Noam Chomsky when he’s needed?

PS: 'Mr Brains' is a trade name for some factory-produced version.
    Couldn’t agree more and very well said.

There’s nothing wrong with bringing the world into a more modern accepting place but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. We can’t start becoming offended by everything that could be taken the wrong way, there’s no end to that. A little common sense must apply, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Is it still PC to order Spotted Dick for pud?
    In that particular context, yes.

I fear the male name Richard (which incidentally is my first name) is likely to become derided and stigmatised in the same way in the not-too-distant future, especially as 'Dick', one shortened variation of the name is another slang term for a male 'private' part. I'm sure 'Richard head' is now already in use as a pejorative term. Likewise, the female name Karen now also seems to be used as some kind of pejorative term.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Couldn’t agree more and very well said.

There’s nothing wrong with bringing the world into a more modern accepting place but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. We can’t start becoming offended by everything that could be taken the wrong way, there’s no end to that. A little common sense must apply, surely?
    Definitely Gary.

It's all about context at the end of the day and proper education is the key, rather than dumbing down on everything. I will never forget the big hoo-ha over Birmingham City Council's decision to brand their Christmas festival 'Winterval' back in 1997, because it was speculated by the press that the term Christmas may have offended certain faiths and cultures, even in that still more innocent and carefree era, but that was actually a load of old pony!!

Fake news of its time!!

I'm going to board this train of thought if you don't mind. Absolutely right. And where does it end? Nobody has a right to not be offended because once that right is established you can take a free press and the ability to speak freely and flush them right down the toilet. Many people are offended by the truth. It's a means of shutting down conversation and driving an agenda. That's what's going on.

N.

It's not driving an agenda. It's about recognizing that there are some offensive products and traditions that are still around, and it's okay to change. It doesn't mean your culture will suddenly fall apart.

I wish I could make you all understand how it feels. Are any of you non-white or non-Christian males on this thread?

I'll try one more time here. You all know how Richard's name got hijacked by the nickname for it, Dick, which now means to most young people a penis? Well that must be horrible for him. It's probably very insulting to be associated with male anatomy all the time. That's how people of color feel when we continue to use things that once brought insult to them (like I gave the example with the Aunt Jemima syrup yesterday).

It's also not just about insults; it's about inclusivity. Lecoboy, you think its ridiculous that Birmingham changed their festival name to "Winterval". I, as a Jewish person, think it's touching. It's not that I found a Christmas festival insulting. Millions of people all over the world celebrate Christmas. But by calling it "Winterval" they're also including me. They're saying, "Yes, we recognize that not everyone might celebrate the same holiday, but let's get together and all celebrate something."

I hope you all can open your minds a little more and instead of being scared that things you're used to might change, think about how many more people will feel included.

I'm with Vee (although I'm only half Jewish) - what's wrong with helping people feel more included? I get that change is scary, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need to happen.

I knew there was a reason that I made you Minister of Ideology in the new regime, Iris
    (now that's what's called an agenda, N)

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    It's not driving an agenda. It's about recognizing that there are some offensive products and traditions that are still around, and it's okay to change. It doesn't mean your culture will suddenly fall apart.

I wish I could make you all understand how it feels. Are any of you non-white or non-Christian males on this thread?

I'll try one more time here. You all know how Richard's name got hijacked by the nickname for it, Dick, which now means to most young people a penis? Well that must be horrible for him. It's probably very insulting to be associated with male anatomy all the time. That's how people of color feel when we continue to use things that once brought insult to them (like I gave the example with the Aunt Jemima syrup yesterday).

It's also not just about insults; it's about inclusivity. Lecoboy, you think its ridiculous that Birmingham changed their festival name to "Winterval". I, as a Jewish person, think it's touching. It's not that I found a Christmas festival insulting. Millions of people all over the world celebrate Christmas. But by calling it "Winterval" they're also including me. They're saying, "Yes, we recognize that not everyone might celebrate the same holiday, but let's get together and all celebrate something."

I hope you all can open your minds a little more and instead of being scared that things you're used to might change, think about how many more people will feel included.
    Personally I couldn't care less about the 'Winterval' thing and it's branding, both then and now. It was purely a myth that was engineered by the press at the time, obviously in pursuit of £s and nothing to do with appeasement/inclusivity. And this even predated the (post-9/11) hysteria pertaining to certain Muslim factions and terror threats.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post

It has everything to do with driving an agenda. You can't see the forest for the trees. As I just said nobody has the right to not be offended. Just because one perceives a product as racist doesn't mean it is racist. It is a massive stretch to remove Aunt Jemima Maple syrup from the shelves. how about Betty crocker maybe the feminazis find her offense of working in the kitchen making cookies? That is about power and making corporations kowtow. I'm all for trying to get people to feel comfortable but you don't do it by fiat. and you don't do it by not telling them the truth. And it's very condescending to say I wish I could make you all understand. I do totally understand where you're coming from I just totally disagree with your assessment. If you have the right to be offended then free speech and freedom of the press goes down the toilet.
    And the term dick has been used for prick since I was a boy it's not new.

Feminazis? Seriously?

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information