Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Outrage over historical films, TV shows, songs, etc.

Re: Outrage over historical films, TV shows, songs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Aunt Jemima isn't benign.

You brought up "extreme fringes" with the use of "feminazi" a few days ago.

I like how I'm "the left" now. I'm a whole group of people, apparently. I encompass all people "left" of you, I guess. Wow, my world domination plans are coming along, then. I haven't met anyone on here "right" of you, so I sure represent a lot of people now.

I never said any of these things either.

So that.

Vee
    Oh, I thought you thought aunt Jemima was some sort of racist symbol. My bad.

Then you do agree with my assessment of stereotyping.

Glad we cleared that up.

N.

No, the term feminazi was hyperbole. What you were doing was an analogy.

I already went over the Aunt Jemima situation several times. I'm gonna tell you what I tell my students, N... Go back and read it

The point about the "feminazi" is that you went there first. You used the "extreme" example of the nazis first, and then accused me of going to the extreme first. But hey, at least you know your literary devices

I'm white. My brother mixed race. My cousins mixed race. Stepdad was black (RIP). My best friend as a child was black.

Growing up with black folk in my family has meant I've grown up seeing no distinction between black and white. I see racism from a different, and maybe unique, perspective.

I've had this conversation with my brother who said "It's stupid. Just another excuse for a story". I'm with him on that one.

I'm not a black sympathizer. There's nothing to sympathize over. Let history be what it is and move forward. Blacks and whites involved in this "movement" are the ones causing the racism divide.

Until the racism narrative dies, you can always expect a harsh division between black vs. white, or white vs. Muslim, poor vs. rich etc.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I'm white. My brother mixed race. My cousins mixed race. Stepdad was black (RIP). My best friend as a child was black.

Growing up with black folk in my family has meant I've grown up seeing no distinction between black and white. I see racism from a different, and maybe unique, perspective.

I've had this conversation with my brother who said "It's stupid. Just another excuse for a story". I'm with him on that one.

I'm not a black sympathizer. There's nothing to sympathize over. Let history be what it is and move forward. Blacks and whites involved in this "movement" are the ones causing the racism divide.

Until the racism narrative dies, you can always expect a harsh division between black vs. white, or white vs. Muslim, poor vs. rich etc.
    As we've talked about this on here before, I wonder if the experience is different depending on the country you grow up in?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    As we've talked about this on here before, I wonder if the experience is different depending on the country you grow up in?
    That's a valid point Antsy. In the UK there isn't police brutality towards black people. It tends to be police are brutal whatever sort of d**khead you are But, never to the extreme US officers go to. I think the problem is amplified in the US because of it's shear size and numbers. We're a dot on the map in comparison.

The problem isn't racial. It's elitism. Police think they're above the law and use their personal racial believes on the job. Fights against clans and races have existed since man could write. We're the generation that thinks we can solve the "problem". Nope. It's better to not entertain the ideas and movements that way they can't gain traction to cause disruption via the media.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    That's a valid point Antsy. In the UK there isn't police brutality towards black people. It tends to be police are brutal whatever sort of d**khead you are But, never to the extreme US officers go to. I think the problem is amplified in the US because of it's shear size and numbers. We're a dot on the map in comparison.

The problem isn't racial. It's elitism. Police think they're above the law and use their personal racial believes on the job. Fights against clans and races have existed since man could write. We're the generation that thinks we can solve the "problem". Nope. It's better to not entertain the ideas and movements that way they can't gain traction to cause disruption via the media.
    I think you could be right there WIC.

I also think the issue is more down to the small minority of 'bad apples' in the force who aren't quite right in the head themselves in general, rather than systemic racism. The same can also apply to other public 'professionals' who are a bit 'power-mad' such as school teachers, social workers, doctors, nurses, day centre staff, local council workers, shop workers, you name them. Twas ever thus I suppose.

And like I said the other day in another thread our police officers for the most part aren't trigger-happy in this country, and only tend to use firearms as an absolute last resort, and in exceptional situations such as dealing with that hotel incident in Glasgow yesterday.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 27-06-20 at 10:14.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Another example of a hijacked symbol: the swastika.

It's also something that highlights how we aren't educated properly. We all understood it was a Nazi symbol and regarded it as evil. But did we know they just nicked something already there, a symbol for good in our workd and from many spritual & religious practices, and made it symbol for modern day evil?

In countries practicing those religions have they excluded it's use since the war? I've no idea.
    Likewise, I think the term 'Nazi' is greatly overused and especially as a pejorative term to describe a person or organisation someone doesn't like or agree with, even if they are actually nothing of the sort.

Same with the word 'chav', which continues to be used in a hyperbolic manner to describe virtually all young people who are being a bit boisterous, even if they're not wearing hoodies, baseball caps, tracksuits, bling, and indulging in 'happy slapping' to upload onto YouTube/
    Facebook/Twitter, etc, which is probably harder to get away with now, compared to 10-15 years ago when it was all the rage.

What about this classic bit from the legendary sitcom Seinfeld?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread Information