Thread: Just started Sertraline

Just started Sertraline

Hi. I've just statywd sertraline and I'm suffering with diarrhoea, feel a little sick and am quite spacey. Is this normal in the very beginning? I thought it would take a few days to get side effects, not hours x

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Re: Just started Sertraline

I think diarrhoea is really common with SSRIs at the beginning, and maybe especially with Sertraline.

I've been on a very low dose of Citalopram for 9 days and still have loose stools. Can't wait for that to pass. What dosage of Sertraline are you on?

25mg. How are your side effects on citalopram? Are they getting any better?

It's been a pretty rough nine days, even on such a tiny dose. I'm just having to tough it out. Luckily, I've got a lot of Diazepam if I need it. In addition to the loose stools, I've just felt "off" in a way that's hard to describe, and I've had dry mouth, tight jaw, and increased anxiety. Also my hay fever is 1000000 times worse, for some reason. I'm going to increase to 10mg tomorrow; hoping it won't make things worse.

I did have a good day yesterday, and it really felt like they were kicking in, but today has not been so good. I think you have to prepare to give it about two months before you can decide whether it's going to work for you.

My jaw is so tight and i definitely have the increased anxiety and I'm only a few hours in! That's hopeful for you that you had a good day yesterday. Hopefully the good days will outnumber the bad ones for you before long.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1108 View Post
    Hi. I've just statywd sertraline and I'm suffering with diarrhoea, feel a little sick and am quite spacey. Is this normal in the very beginning? I thought it would take a few days to get side effects, not hours x
    SSRIs increase serotonin activity and thus trigger side-effects within about a hour of the first dose. Your side-effects are typical. For info about the cause of diarrhoea and what to do about it see my recent reply to Waldenpond on the same topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldenpond View Post
    Luckily, I've got a lot of Diazepam if I need it.
    If you need diazepam then definitely take it when things spiral because white-knuckling through anxiety is counterproductive. However, avoid taking it just in case because benzodiazepines may significantly reduce the effectiveness of ADs by blocking hippocampal neurogenesis which is how ADs create the therapeutic response (see: Boldrini M, 2014; Nochi R, 2013; Sun Y, 2013; Song J, 2012; Wu X, 2009; Stefovska VG, 2008).

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    If you need diazepam then definitely take it when things spiral because white-knuckling through anxiety is counterproductive. However, avoid taking it just in case because benzodiazepines may significantly reduce the effectiveness of ADs by blocking hippocampal neurogenesis which is how ADs create the therapeutic response (see: Boldrini M, 2014; Nochi R, 2013; Sun Y, 2013; Song J, 2012; Wu X, 2009; Stefovska VG, 2008).
    I like that expression, "white-knuckling through anxiety", and I certainly agree that it's usually counterproductive.

I've started on 10mg today (sorry to hijack the thread!) although I'm aware that 20mg is considered the therapeutic dose (of Citalopram), and may have to increase after a few weeks if there are no changes.

To OP: I'd recommend finding as many distractions as possible for the next week or so.

I didn't read the dosage and actually took 50mg yesterday instead of 25mg! So I've not had one today and will split the pill tomo. Have had the squits again though but I'd taken a diazepam on an empty stomach. Barely slept a wink last night either!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1108 View Post
    I didn't read the dosage and actually took 50mg yesterday instead of 25mg! So I've not had one today and will split the pill tomo. Have had the squits again though but I'd taken a diazepam on an empty stomach. Barely slept a wink last night either!

Some people will start with 12.5mg for a few days and then gradually increase - you could consider that. It might minimise the side effects.

The Diazepam is unlikely to cause diarrhoea. It's probably still serotonergic activity from the first dose of Sertraline. As I said, my stools are still loose after 11 days of Citalopram.

Let us know how you get on. I'll do the same.

Thread Information