Thread: Anxiety aggravated IBS. Any suggestions for treatment?

Anxiety aggravated IBS. Any suggestions for treatment?

Ive had IBS since I was a child. Triggered by bad eating, stomach bugs, stress and always aggravated and prolonged by anxiety.

I feel like I've tried everything and found very little relief except where my mind has switched off from worrying about it. I've had years where I had no symptoms and lately, years where I had recurring and constant symptoms, mainly stomach cramps and bloating.

This is a list of everything I've tried:
    Mebeverine, Buscopan, Librax, Peppermint oil capsules, Silicol gel, Iberogast, Lorazepam, Ativan.

Mint tea, Fennel tea, Chamomile Tea, Gluten free, Low fat, FODMAP diet

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Helicobacter pylori treated, Gallbladder removed.

Guided Imagery Meditation, Psychologist counseling.

If anyone has a similar type of IBS and has found something that helps I would be so grateful for your suggestions. Maybe we can swap ideas?

Re: Anxiety aggravated IBS. Any suggestions for treatment?

I have these IBS symptoms (and a few others) looks like you’ve tried a lot of the same things I have over the years, although I still drink an absurd amount of tea because I love it.

I’ve found the best thing that I can do is relax my body through the cramps. Most mornings if it’s going to be bad I can catch it before it makes me run to the bathroom and relax the muscles. It takes a little while but it usually passes within half an hour. Then I don’t usually get another round of it and the urgency doesn’t return. The exception to the rule is if I’ve been particularly bad with my dietary choices and decided to indulge in my trigger foods, that most often still has the same predictable results but it’s to be expected.

As far as the bloating goes, I’ve accepted that I’m a gassy creature, much to my husband’s displeasure at times I’m sure (not that he’s much better!) I do find small relief from peppermint tea but realistically most foods make me a little bloated and gassy. Drinking more water (less tea!) helps me, but it’s only usually painful/uncomfortable with it if I’m very stressed (and indulging in my trigger foods)

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Thank you so much for your reply. Although I don't wish this on anyone at all, it certainly does help to know I'm not alone with these symptoms.

I agree that food choices are definitely a trigger and then the anxiety sets in with "what is this?" Or "how long will it last?", "will it get worse?". I'm my own worst enemy, doesn't matter how many flare-ups I've had each and every one causes panic and then I get stuck in that loop.

Do you find that its mostly early mornings? By evening, as if by magic, I feel normal!

I've moved house (and country) 9 times in the last 5 years and every single time the IBS symptoms flare-up so I know what it is. I just wish my mind would accept that that's all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckybecks View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply. Although I don't wish this on anyone at all, it certainly does help to know I'm not alone with these symptoms.

I agree that food choices are definitely a trigger and then the anxiety sets in with "what is this?" Or "how long will it last?", "will it get worse?". I'm my own worst enemy, doesn't matter how many flare-ups I've had each and every one causes panic and then I get stuck in that loop.

Do you find that its mostly early mornings? By evening, as if by magic, I feel normal!

I've moved house (and country) 9 times in the last 5 years and every single time the IBS symptoms flare-up so I know what it is. I just wish my mind would accept that that's all it is.
    Oh definitely mainly mornings, unless I’ve been really bad. Which has been known to happen every now and again (read as: too frequently for my own good) if I can get past the first lot of cramps in the morning without running to the bathroom all day, it’s not a sure fire but if I relax I can usually get through the flare ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Hi there, I sympathise with the pain you’re going through but try not to lose hope. There are a variety of alternative medicines from different cultures that might be able to help.

I’ve found that traditional Chinese medicine has helped me with some of my skin conditions before. I went to a place called GinSen in London and they were able to give me a free consultation, acupuncture and medicinal teas.
    From what I hear these medicines are very beneficial to long term conditions, which don’t really have a cure, like your IBS or my eczema. Worth a shot I suppose

Thread Information