Thread: Involuntary swallow wakes me up

Involuntary swallow wakes me up

Hi all
    Here i am, back again with another worrying symptom.
    Been going on since January that i can remember. When im dropping off to sleep or when i wake up i get this involuntary jerk like swallow and its worrying me.
    I have managed to get an appointment next week with my neurologist, and although i have mentioned this already to him, he says its anxiety?
    I am seeing him privately, but not looking forward to the appointment to be honest. Im so worried about mnd which is what i am seeing him about, because of twitching since november and speech issues since march even though he has told me the twitching is benign and has heard me talk on the phone in April, and said that was ok too.
    Could this swallowing thing be anxiety? I do have multiple sclerosis and am trying to get by the constant fear and anxiety until i see him next week.
    Anyone help on this?
    Thanks

Re: Involuntary swallow wakes me up

Mate this is about your 14th post about MND over the last three months. No one here is in any way qualified to give you anything so why do you keep asking for it. What you are doing isn't helping you so why do you keep doing it?
    Just go to the doctor even though they have constantly told you there is nothing wrong with you (minus the MS obviously)

Hi Hijikata
    Im sorry, i know its frustrating and thats why i am seeing neurologist next week, and hoping he will be able to help me so that i can move on.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234icg View Post
    Hi Hijikata
    Im sorry, i know its frustrating and thats why i am seeing neurologist next week, and hoping he will be able to help me so that i can move on.
    Bro I've been where you are, to be honest I still have a weird feeling in my soft palate and sometimes have trouble initiating a swallow. But I had an emg that the doctor assures me has cleared me of any MND. I had so many symptoms, but they are never THE symptoms. They're always the peripheral symptoms. The ones on the edge, that give you just enough space to umm and ahh, could it be, could it not be, about them.

It's never the - **** my hand doesn't work, **** there is a muscle missing between my finger and thumb. It's the ominous twitch, its the 'strange feeling', its the subjective. Remember, MND is an OBJECTIVE disease, people can objectively see that you have it. And I'm sure the neurologist will help you realise as such when you see them next. But remember, and this is important to anyone who reads this because it seems to get lost, the clinical examination for MND is much more important than people realise, and/or give it credit for. The diagnosis of MND is almost entirely clinical, with tests like EMG only used to provide evidence of what the doctor already has seen in the clinical. So if a trained neurologists doesnt see anything, its because there isnt anything.

So stay strong friend, but you're fine. Don't waste months/years of your life on this rubbish like so many people here, including myself, have.

Hi Hijikata
    Many thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.
    I just hope im ok and can move on from this fear, Wednesday seems a long way a way!!
    I need to trust what i am being told, but its so difficult with extreme health anxiety!!
    Many thanks

Thread Information