Thread: Anyone take Lorazepam?

Anyone take Lorazepam?

Hi I was on diazepam 2mg twice a day for 2 years my doctor has told me to stop it and gave me 1mg lorazepam twice a day. Is 1mg lorazepam stronger than diazepam ? It hits me quite hard

Re: Anyone take Lorazepam?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie8318 View Post
    Hi I was on diazepam 2mg twice a day for 2 years my doctor has told me to stop it and gave me 1mg lorazepam twice a day. Is 1mg lorazepam stronger than diazepam ? It hits me quite hard
    to NMP, Jamie

It would hit you hard because 1mg is about the equivalent to 8mg diazepam, i.e. 4 times as much. Lorazepam also tends to kick-in sooner and be metabolised faster.

Did your doctor give a reason for changing from diazepam to lorazepam?

Lorazepam also has a much shorter half life.

I found it much better than diazepam. 2mg Diazepam hit the anxiety hard and knocked it out for 2hrs then tended to drop out quickly after that. 0.5/.75 Lorazepam got rid of 90% of my anxiety but left a small residual amount, but would last 4-6 hours and gradually faded out. Leaving a small amount of anxiety I found helped me get over situations that would bring it on and learn that the situation wasn't an issue after a few times.
    Having said that I have only been using it as required getting through 28 over 9 months and my GP is happy to prescribe at this level of usage without an appointment each time I need more.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    I have only been using it as required getting through 28 over 9 months
    Lorazepam is the better benzodiazepine (BZD) for occasional use because the short half-life usually ensures there are frequent washout periods between doses which reduces the risk of dependence developing. But the longer half-life BZDs such as diazepam are the better option for daily dosing for extended periods as tolerance is usually slower to develop (not that BZDs should be used that way, imho, unless other med options and therapy have failed).

I’ve been on a low dose of Xanax for a few years. I don’t abuse it. I don’t take it every day. I do have severe anxiety and panic. A few months ago my psych added lorazepam which I didn’t like at all. I found it to be a longer onset of relief and it wiped out my memory terribly. It also caused excessive salivation for me. I ended up weaning off it quite easily 3 months later. So for me it didn’t do much.

Thread Information