Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music

Music

Kind of piggy backing on Wired's thread which he took down but I liked.

Anything and everything about music - my first love - shh don't tell the bride.

What do you like? Do you play anything? What concerts have you seen? What famous musicians have you met? Were you a groupie? Anything at all about music.

The best concert I've ever been to was Levon Helm and The Band. Outdoors mountain side all day event. An absolutely glorious day. Capped off by a chance meeting with a beautiful young lady. I'm a drummer by trade (or I should say ex-drummer) and Levon is one of my favorites. And that rich baritone voice of his was full throttle that night. Natural wood finish drum set, set kitty corner stage right. They were the headliner of about 8 bands. One of which was Arlo Guthrie. I'll never forget it.

Ok FMP I know you got tales to tell. And Carnation you know your stuff too. You've taught me a few things about music and musicians. And anyone else who loves music. And that should be everyone.

Let's hear it.

N.
    Last edited by Noivous; 16-06-20 at 01:56.

Re: Music

Now you're talking Noivous, or should I say listening?
    Where do I begin? No, that's not my choice, lol but quite nice on a musical box.

I Have so many genres of music, met lots of musicians as my partner is also a musician by trade and I play a little piano and guitar myself.

I've been dragged to concerts that wouldn't be on my wishlist and thoroughly enjoyed them.
    Elton John for one was a great experience and Status Quo certainly got the crowd rocking.
    Then I've been disappointed with some greats.
    Diana Ross just didn't do it for me.
    Where the Drifters were just a pure delight.
    And Michael Jackson was out of this world, literally!

I've been lucky to meet quite a few musicians, some disappointing, some surprisingly nice and some I was just starstruck.
    Van Morrison was a weird experience especially as he stares a lot and is surprisingly very quite on meeting.
    His music is played quite a lot in our household.
    So is Long John Baldry.
    If I want to chill and relax, I might put on Barbara Streisand.
    The Beach Boys and The Kinks on a sunny Day.
    The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band if I want to laugh.
    Glen Campbell for Country.
    Neil Diamond, Abba and The Carpenters for singing. Nilsson for sad times.
    Northern Soul for watching.
    Reggae for barbecuing.
    70s and 80s Disco for dancing.
    Too many bands to mention for rocking.. ACDC, Motorhead, Deep Purple....
    But a definite no-no to Ed Sheeran and Adele.

Carnation!
    Wow! Talk about breaking the ice!

Ok, I saw Van Morisson 3 times and I must say was not blow away by any one of them. But his music is fantastic. There are just so many great songs that actually say something. "Man Has to Struggle" comes to mind. Astral Weeks is regarded by more than a few as the greatest album of all time.

Elton I saw one time and he was great.

Bob Dylan I saw three times. The best performance was when I saw him with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as his backup band. It was unbelievable.

Like you my musical tastes run far and wide.

My favorite drummer of all time was Buddy Rich. His album live at Ronnie Scott's is a classic to me. I saw him five times in concert and had the pleasure of meeting him once. And believe it or not he didn't scream at me!

I saw Springsteen twice one time it was an unbelievable experience the second time it sucked. The venue was just too big.

And as for ACDC I've always said I think Bon Scott was the greatest rock and roll frontman of all time he died much too young.

And next to Johnny Cash I think Glen Campbell was the biggest thing country music has ever seen. A fantasic musician. Check out this clip of him doing gentle on my mind in front of a host of country legends. Unbelievable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkzK9pXMio

...I'm not sure there's ever been a more beautiful voice than Glen Campbell's - Wichita Lineman gives me chills every time I hear it!

I've not been to as many gigs as I really should have, but I've managed to see a few on my bucket list. Billy Joel was workmanlike rather than brilliant, but I still had a wonderful time and I don't regret borrowing money from my folks for a ticket.

David Byrne was a dream, though, his voice was beautiful and he was every bit as weird and funny as I'd hoped he'd be. I'm so glad I've seen him, although I wish I was old enough to have caught Talking Heads in their prime.

Single best gig I ever saw, though, was Bill Bruford (formerly of Yes) and his jazz band, Earthworks. We saw them in the courtyard of a historic house (I want to say 15th century?) at our little local jazz festival, with the air heavy with the scent of lavender. The weather alternated every fifteen minutes or so between burning sunshine and pouring, thundery rain, and it was nothing short of magical. I remember the pianist, Gwylam Simcox, playing along as the town hall clock chimed the hour, and one section where they all put down their instruments and took part in this incredibly intricate clapping section.

One of my favourite memories ever.

Oh! Bill Bruford! I saw him in a small club in New York City with King crimson. The guy is a genius.

This one's for you Blueiris:

It starts at 8:45 minutes in. Unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXfNTEi2CIc

I loved that clip Noivous, stunning!
    And one of my favourites along with 'Southern Nights'.
    And Dolly Parton the Queen of Country for me.

I quite like Billy Joel BlueIris, his music anyway.

Slade are a good band and Sweet.
    Was a big fan of Marc Bolan and driven passed that famous spot where he died crashing into a tree.
    ELO I still like, but think they are like marmite, you love or hate?

I've met a lot of oldies that some people might not have heard of.... PJ Proby, Wee Willie Harris, Clem Cattini, Heinz, Phil May.

Yeah right I could watch that clip a hundred times. look who's sitting in the audience Roy Clark Willie Nelson BJ Thomas Crystal Gayle Waylon Jennings and you can tell they're all in awe of Glen Campbell.

PJ Proby now there is a name from the past. Doesn't Van Morrison have a song called whatever happened to PJ Proby?

I'll look later, Noivous, as I'm sharing the room with somebody at the moment and he's in the middle of something. Really looking forward to it.

Love ELO, but I can't listen to too much of them at once for some reason.

Anybody ever hear the Johnny Cash cover of Nick Cave's "The Mercy Seat?" Beautiful beyond words.

No I haven't but I'll check it out. Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information