Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Music

Re: Music

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Noivous, Buddy Rich was just brilliant!
    What do you think of Gene Krupa?
    Ginger Baker was a noted drummer of his time, but I'm doubtful anyone could top Buddy Rich, unless you have been hiding from us all these years.

Carlo Little, maybe unknown by name, but taught Keith Moon how to play drums.
    The Krupa/Rich debate has been going on for years. And Gene Krupa is certainly a legend...a pioneer. But Rich to me is the greatest drummer that ever lived. He influenced basically all of them, Bonham, Appice, Bruford, Pretty Purdy, Palmer, Ringo, Cobham...all of them. His speed, power, finesse and dynamics are legendary. And to his credit Krupa said of Rich, "He is the greatest drummer to ever draw breath." To be honest I really never cared for most drum solos. Buddy was one of the few exceptions because of the creativity. Anyway the debate will rage on. I met him briefly after one of his shows. He had just come off a smoking solo and was on his bus. I tapped on the door and surprisingly it opened. I stepped on and there he was. He was in a robe with a towel around his neck like a prize fighter lol. I complimented him on his performance and told him he inspires me to get better. He said thanks I wished more kids said that to me. I asked him what books he might recommend and he said you don't need books man lol again. I had the show program with me and he autographed a picture of himself right across his chest. The picture is hanging in my studio. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by Noivous; 19-06-20 at 14:18.

This isn't the album version of this song but I can't hear it without thinking of you Carnation. See the lyrics and you'll know why.
    Van Morrison with PJ Proby doing, What Ever Happened to PJ Proby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoQCfje-XhA

And of course both Mitch Mitchell and Ginger Baker are rock legends. Baker played with an almost cymbal-less style that was so effective. And Mitchell was the perfect fit one of the greatest guitarists in history. Great stuff!

I agree with you Noivous. Buddy Rich has the edge, the complete package. Like he was born with sticks in his hands. He has grace, bags of rhythm, style, skill, humour and such a grace. Where as Krupa has a more aggressive style to me.
    Have you seen the clip on YouTube on the Michael Parkinson show where he drums some coins in Roy Castle's hand?

Lol, loved that track

I haven't seen the coins but I've seen him on that show. Once Sammy Davis Jr where he and Sammy did a performance of just the two of them. Rich on drums and Davis on vocals. Real pros. I'll look for the coins. Thanks! x

How bout the Eagles? Anyone like them? I'm currently reading the book heaven and hell my life with the eagles by Don Felder. he's the guy that actually wrote hotel California. A very good guitarist. Talk about a band with a lot of infighting. Glenn Frey and Don Henley were taking over the band's power structure which used to be all equal. Whoever wrote a song for the band the money would be split evenly between the writers. Apparently Henley would come in and make a very small change and then consider himself a writer of the song or at least a partial writer. The other band members started calling him "Change a word and take third, Henley." LOL.

It's a good book.
    Last edited by Noivous; 27-06-20 at 18:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    How bout the Eagles? Anyone like them? I'm currently reading the book heaven and hell my life with the eagles by Don Felder. he's the guy that actually wrote hotel California. I'm very good guitarist. Talk about a band with a lot of infighting. Glenn Frey and Don Henley war taking over the band power structure which used to be all equal.whoever wrote a song for the band the money would be split evenly between the writers. Apparently henley would come in and make a very small change and then consider himself a writer of the song or at least a partial writer. The other band members started calling him change a word and take third LOL.

It's a good book.
    One of the finest (American) bands of the 70s, even though they're a little before my time, but I can thank my parents for being fans and me inadvertently hearing their fantastic material from a young age!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    One of the finest (American) bands of the 70s, even though they're a little before my time, but I can thank my parents for being fans and me inadvertently hearing their fantastic material from a young age!!
    So right Lenso...more so my mother than my father but they both loved music. And I would just pick up what they were listening to which was way before my time but some great music just the same. They actually gave me my love of music.

I saw the eagles in 2010 and they were fantastic. I remember once hearing Joe Walsh say about the eagles I can tell you why The Eagles broke up in two words...Hotel California. He said we could never top it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Hey Lenso,

Do you differentiate between American and British bands?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information