Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Music

Re: Music

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I'll look later, Noivous, as I'm sharing the room with somebody at the moment and he's in the middle of something. Really looking forward to it.

Love ELO, but I can't listen to too much of them at once for some reason.

Anybody ever hear the Johnny Cash cover of Nick Cave's "The Mercy Seat?" Beautiful beyond words.
    Wow! You're right that was fantastic Blueiris. How did I miss that one. The guy was great right up till the end.

I love my music.
    Have you heard of The Nighthawks N?got to see them a few years back when in Sturgis.
    I like that Johnny Cash’s cover of Gods Gunna Cut You Down and I Hurt myself Today.
    You mentioned John Prine in another thread his duets with Iris Dement are great.
    Nick Cave is brilliant he does a duet with Tom Waits A Wonderful World,also I like Into my Arms.
    The Small Faces Itchycoo Park and Lazy Afternoon are great songs.xx

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    I love my music.
    Have you heard of The Nighthawks N?got to see them a few years back when in Sturgis.
    I like that Johnny Cash’s cover of Gods Gunna Cut You Down and I Hurt myself Today.
    You mentioned John Prine in another thread his duets with Iris Dement are great.
    Nick Cave is brilliant he does a duet with Tom Waits A Wonderful World,also I like Into my Arms.
    The Small Faces Itchycoo Park and Lazy Afternoon are great songs.xx
    I've heard of the Nighthawks but don't know them. But I'll give them a listen. Cash's God's gonna cut you down is great, so is When the Man Comes Around. And the real old stuff like Hey Porter or Big River. And has there ever been a colder line than "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" from Folsom Prison Blues? Johnny Cash was a one-of-a-kind American original. I don't think there will ever be anyone like him again.

How about Social Distortion? I know that's a far cry from Johnny Cash but they're a really good band... As a matter of fact they do a great cover of Cash's Ring of Fire.

The Small Faces! I've been listening to Ogden's Nut Gone Flake recently and it's a terrific recording. A number of years ago before his death Ronnie Lane did an album with Pete Townshend called Rough Mix with Charlie Watts and Eric Clapton it's really a great album.

By the way there's been some great bands come out of Australia in the past which ones do you like?

I think it's a riot you go to Sturgis!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I'll look later, Noivous, as I'm sharing the room with somebody at the moment and he's in the middle of something. Really looking forward to it.

Love ELO, but I can't listen to too much of them at once for some reason.

Anybody ever hear the Johnny Cash cover of Nick Cave's "The Mercy Seat?" Beautiful beyond words.
    Get a chance to listen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKdZK-Gr0LM

And how bout this guy? He could do it all..comedy, drama, sing, dance, play drums, piano, juggle, impressions...and all at an extremely high level.

Here he is in this clip from a 1985 concert in Germany doing the classic Mr. Bojangles. He was probably over 60 at the time. Sammy Davis Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Now you're talking Noivous, or should I say listening?
    Where do I begin? No, that's not my choice, lol but quite nice on a musical box.

I Have so many genres of music, met lots of musicians as my partner is also a musician by trade and I play a little piano and guitar myself.

I've been dragged to concerts that wouldn't be on my wishlist and thoroughly enjoyed them.
    Elton John for one was a great experience and Status Quo certainly got the crowd rocking.
    Then I've been disappointed with some greats.
    Diana Ross just didn't do it for me.
    Where the Drifters were just a pure delight.
    And Michael Jackson was out of this world, literally!

I've been lucky to meet quite a few musicians, some disappointing, some surprisingly nice and some I was just starstruck.
    Van Morrison was a weird experience especially as he stares a lot and is surprisingly very quite on meeting.
    His music is played quite a lot in our household.
    So is Long John Baldry.
    If I want to chill and relax, I might put on Barbara Streisand.
    The Beach Boys and The Kinks on a sunny Day.
    The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band if I want to laugh.
    Glen Campbell for Country.
    Neil Diamond, Abba and The Carpenters for singing. Nilsson for sad times.
    Northern Soul for watching.
    Reggae for barbecuing.
    70s and 80s Disco for dancing.
    Too many bands to mention for rocking.. ACDC, Motorhead, Deep Purple....
    But a definite no-no to Ed Sheeran and Adele.
    ABBA have most certainly knocked out some top tunes but I tend to prefer their later material from 'Voulez-Vous' onwards.

Their albums 'Super Trouper' and 'The Visitors' to me are just timeless masterpieces, plus another one of my favourite songs of theirs is their penultimate single release 'The Day Before You Came', that sadly missed the UK Top 20 upon its original release in the autumn of 1982.

ELO have also done some masterpieces which also take pride of place in my vinyl collection, particularly their two 'key' albums 'A New World Record' and 'Out Of The Blue'.

Another favourite artist of mine is Phil Collins, both solo and with Genesis. His first five solo studio albums from 'Face Value' through 'Both Sides' are truly phenomenal. I never really cared that much for 'Dance Into The Light' and 'Testify', though his 2010 Motown tribute album 'Going Back' isn't bad at all.

I've never really cared much for a lot of the chart music since about 1990 though, despite me being 13 on my birthday that year, and I used to get ridiculed by other kids at school for liking a lot of the 'older' music I have mentioned above, and for hating contemporary rave and hip-hop music, both of which I still cannot bear today!!

Sammy Davis Jr was a brilliant all-rounder ��
    I like a lot from the swing era too.
    Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, Tony Bennett, Matt Monroe, Bobby Darin.

Lencoboy, I'm the opposite, I prefer Abba's earlier stuff.
    And definitely not a fan of Phil Collins.
    Then again if we all liked the same stuff we would have the wide range to choose from.
    But like you, have always liked the older stuff.

Carnation turned me on to Carlo Little (to be honest I was a little embarrassed I didn't know Carlo) and Screamin Lord Sutch!

Thank you Carnation! ❤️

Noivous, Buddy Rich was just brilliant!
    What do you think of Gene Krupa?
    Ginger Baker was a noted drummer of his time, but I'm doubtful anyone could top Buddy Rich, unless you have been hiding from us all these years.

Carlo Little, maybe unknown by name, but taught Keith Moon how to play drums.

Another drummer for you...... Mitch Mitchell

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information