Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something I need to talk about *Trigger Warning*

Something I need to talk about *Trigger Warning*

I have spoken about this a few times before on NMP, but I've just seen a video that triggered me...

I'm talking about how animals are used for meat. I can't take it. The video I saw was non-graphic, yet at the same time extremely disturbing. It was a cow having a panic attack before being slaughtered behind a closed door. It was panicking, with nowhere to go or turn, in a narrow walkway. Shaking for its life.

Recently I've been having dreams where I've been in really hopeless situations... something really bad happens that changes my life for the worst, or like the world is ending. The best part of those dreams is obviously waking up, and the relief that I get from that, knowing everything is actually alright, and I have a family who love me with a roof over my head... but that cow? That hopelessness is a reality. That poor thing had to walk to its death. Imagine the terror.

I don't really know why I'm writing this, I just had to get it out of my system, it just makes me so ANGRY that this is the way that the world is. These living, breathing, sentient, beautiful animals are one day just casually collected and driven away to a slaughterhouse... how do people who work in a slaughterhouse do it?

How do I deal with this? How do I get on with my life knowing that this is what's happening... animals with no voice are facing this every second and it just keeps happening? I find myself thinking about it briefly very often but then I have to stop myself because it's so painful. It's soul crushing... watching that video made me want to die so I didn't have to deal with the reality of our every day life

I'm not vegan, but I only eat chicken and fish. I stopped eating beef, pork, lamb like 9 months ago? It's getting to the point where I feel bad whenever I eat even chicken so I think I'm going to start avoiding that from now on

I don't even have a question here, I just had to let this all out, and I know that there's nothing anyone can do to stop this. No amount of activism, volunteering or even veganism will change this horrific truth... at least not while there's money to be made in the meat industry.

But it's torturing my soul just thinking about it, I can't even imagine how hardcore activists cope

Re: Something I need to talk about *Trigger Warning*

I'm currently trying to sleep but I can't stop thinking about this :(

No, I agree with you. It's without a doubt the worst acts of animal cruelty we are capable of. On top of that, it causes pollution!

Guys, we have to eat right? I mean every living thing on the planet other than plants has to eat another living thing to survive. It's nature's way. It's pretty wild though when you think about it. I was just saying to my brother the other day how every living thing on the planet eats other living things to survive. We humans are just part of the food chain. Believe me there are plenty of humans that get eaten every year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Guys, we have to eat right? I mean every living thing on the planet other than plants has to eat another living thing to survive. It's nature's way. It's pretty wild though when you think about it. I was just saying to my brother the other day how every living thing on the planet eats other living things to survive. We humans are just part of the food chain. Believe me there are plenty of humans that get eaten every year too.
    But it's not necessary to eat meat, we can survive without it. :(

Animals hunt because they have to.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    No, I agree with you. It's without a doubt the worst acts of animal cruelty we are capable of. On top of that, it causes pollution!
    I don't know how people who work in the meat industry do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    But it's not necessary to eat meat, we can survive without it. :(

Animals hunt because they have to.
    Yeah but I think we're designed to eat meat. I mean we're meat eaters. Actually probably omnivores. Plus many people with digestive issues actually do better with meat. And to be honest with you even if you only eat plants you're still killing a living thing. I don't hunt. But I don't have anything against hunters so long as they eat what they kill. I don't understand trophy hunting. Be heartened though many animals live very long lives. I was watching a nature show recently about the bowhead whale. It said they've recently discovered the bowhead can live for 200 years or more. The narrator said that one your looking at now was probably a calf when Thomas Jefferson was president of the United States. He was our third president serving in 1801.

I understand how you feel, because I feel exactly the same about physical abuse of children, which is an issue that I feel is greatly overlooked by the media in this country, unless it's of a sexual nature of course. And especially with our society's perpetual hatred of children in general and the 'thrashings never did my generation any harm' brigade forever sticking their oar in.

And my suggestion is stop watching such videos as dare I say it, you're not responsible for the fate of those poor helpless animals, plus maybe you could consider becoming a Vegetarian/Vegan if you feel so strongly and guilty about such barbaric treatment of animals, but that's your choice of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Yeah but I think we're designed to eat meat. I mean we're meat eaters. Actually probably omnivores.
    Our teeth suggest that we've evolved to be omnivorous.

To Toby2000; I once asked a friend why he became a vegetarian, expecting it to be just a typical lifestyle choice. Oh no, it was due to some halfwit taking him round a slaughterhouse when he was seven! He was so traumatised he never ate meat again. He's not a full-on vegan (I know two 'ethical' vegans and a few 'fashion' vegans) but he will refuse anything cross-contaminated with animal fats during cooking and won't eat anything with gelatin or rennet in it, or prepared with animal fats.

My late father used to help out at a butchers in his spare time and one day asked me if I could re-insulate a pair of tongs used for stunning animals; not having access to a heat gun to shrink the sleeving I took them into work. A colleague - an animal rights activist - saw what I was doing. The atmosphere took a turn for the worse, shall we say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I understand how you feel, because I feel exactly the same about physical abuse of children, which is an issue that I feel is greatly overlooked by the media in this country, unless it's of a sexual nature of course. And especially with our society's perpetual hatred of children in general and the 'thrashings never did my generation any harm' brigade forever sticking their oar in.

And my suggestion is stop watching such videos as dare I say it, you're not responsible for the fate of those poor helpless animals, plus maybe you could consider becoming a Vegetarian/Vegan if you feel so strongly and guilty about such barbaric treatment of animals, but that's your choice of course.
    I have no idea why, but I find myself getting more upset when it comes to animal abuse etc. than I do with child abuse, though obviously the latter is still horrible. I think it's because the animals have no voice, no say and are just so innocent.

I know. Sometimes I just get the urge to watch them, almost like my mind knows what triggers me. I have been resisting though, since last night. It's just a horrible reality that is ignored by most people because the truth is heartbreaking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information