Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: A second lockdown is on it's way

Re: A second lockdown is on it's way

Quote Originally Posted by feelthelove View Post
    I pray there is not another lockdown and closing of businesses, we've only just reopened and a second closure will be the end of our business and we would lose everything including the house.
    I am sick of this virus and sick of the impact the lockdown has had on people , I feel it is all over the top and sense something more is happening than a virus .
    I am so with you on that. My heart goes out to you and the literally millions who've lost businesses. And then on top of covid comes a bunch of ahole rioters to destroy more businesses and jobs. I pray you can survive it all friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    I think it's way way way less, Gary. I think you might suspect the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    As I’ve always said we can only get a truly accurate mortality rate with much higher levels of the population tested for antibodies.

Just be careful, though, as relying on mortality alone to judge how dangerous a virus is is very short sighted. 1-2% mortality might seem low but a virus with an unchecked R number of 3, an incubation period of up to 14 days along with asymptomatic transmission has the potential to infect vast amounts of the population. Suddenly that 1-2% equates to hundreds of thousands of deaths.
    The BBC dedicated webpage is good if you want to see trends and they've added a local trend to the post code search facility. Earlier they added the deaths as originally it was diagnosed only. But it's very wrong as (which it states) the counts are the old 'died whilst had Covid' issue. My post code comes out at 11% with the county 23%.

Basically meaningless data.

Quote Originally Posted by feelthelove View Post
    I pray there is not another lockdown and closing of businesses, we've only just reopened and a second closure will be the end of our business and we would lose everything including the house.
    I am sick of this virus and sick of the impact the lockdown has had on people , I feel it is all over the top and sense something more is happening than a virus .
    I really hope you avoid any further ones, FTL. You need time to get yourselves back on your feet and recover your losses. It's easy for the big businesses who can sack workers but still pay the directors but with SMEs there can be little wiggle room.

Thank you for the replies both , my husband is a sole trader I used to work along side him , but i couldn't do that with caring for my mum thirty five plus hours a week so I had to choose to care for her .
    I'm not sure the governement will want to ruin the economy more than it is if that is even possible , but i have my doubts it seems the covid 19 bill that was passed is for two years so its a huge possibility .
    We've already had four months holiday break on our mortgage we don't want more adding to the balance.
    The good thing is for us is that we have some equity on our home if we have to sell and it is what we plan to do now as the house is too big for two people, four bedrooms two bathrooms .
    It's ready to go on the market when we are ready , but if the housing market is wrecked also then who knows what will happen.
    These days I don't worry so much because what will be will be and what's the point in ruining today when the situation cannot be changed anyway .
    So I just hope and pray things will get better for us all .

What would have happened if we didn't shut down a single business but took all the same precautions? I suspect we would be in the same exact place covid-wise that we are now. But the economy would be fully entact. Someone put a graphic up showing how effective two people wearing masks is at containing the spread - extremely effective. And it has come to light that getting it from contacting surfaces is very difficult. Also, it's been found that it is very difficult to get the virus from an asymptomatic virus carrying person - according to a CDC official. I can tell you that my wife has seen thousands of covid cases come through her hospital as a respiratory therapist (you don't get more hands on than that) and she nor a single person in her Respiratory Department has contracted the virus. BTW there are a total of just 4 covid 19 patients currently in her hospital.

N.

What would have happened if we didn't shut down a single business but took all the same precautions? I suspect we would be in the same exact place covid-wise that we are now. But the economy would be fully entact. Someone put a graphic up showing how effective two people wearing masks is at containing the spread - extremely effective. And it has come to light that getting it from contacting surfaces is very difficult. Also, it's been found that it is very difficult to get the virus from an asymptomatic virus carrying person - according to a CDC official. I can tell you that my wife has seen thousands of covid cases come through her hospital as a respiratory therapist (you don't get more hands on than that) and she nor a single person in her Respiratory Department has contracted the virus. BTW there are a total of just 4 covid 19 patients currently in her hospital.

N.
    You say it yourself. “It’s came to light, it’s been found etc”. As data becomes available and the virus is better understood we can then look at what we did right and what we did wrong. At the time, we had a call to make on how best to deal with a virus that there was little understanding of.

Even now, again, only 7 months after anyone became aware of its existence, there are huge questions over immunity, infectiousness and transmission. In time, I’m betting that we’ll realise that things could have been done differently. At the time, though, it was a straight choice between locking down and not locking down. I can’t fault anyone for opting to lock down given the limited data they were working with.

You say it yourself. “It’s came to light, it’s been found etc”. As data becomes available and the virus is better understood we can then look at what we did right and what we did wrong. At the time, we had a call to make on how best to deal with a virus that there was little understanding of.

Even now, again, only 7 months after anyone became aware of its existence, there are huge questions over immunity, infectiousness and transmission. In time, I’m betting that we’ll realise that things could have been done differently. At the time, though, it was a straight choice between locking down and not locking down. I can’t fault anyone for opting to lock down given the limited data they were working with.
    Yes, as far as lockdowns were concerned, our authorities were basically 'damned if they did and damned if they didn't'.

I'm sure you're right, despite much more work still needing to be done, there is generally a lot more knowledge and awareness of COVID-19 now than 3-4 months ago.

And it's probably more feasible for any necessary lockdowns from now on to be more localised in the worst affected areas, rather than full-on national ones.

Oh cra*p... Australians are panic buying loo rolls again (according to my daughter's online "research")!

We need to prepare for the same siege here in the UK so I'm going to take advantage of any BOGOFF offers in the coming days. We all remember Last Time and the prospect of crackly DM newsprint making its mark on our nether regions..

okay so that being said then you would agree there's no need for another shutdown. Where people are losing their livelihoods by the millions.

N.

I agree that more businesses could have stayed opened originally with the protections that we have in place now. But what about schools? Or cruise ships? Or amusement parks? I'm not sure we had any choice but to close those.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information