Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: A second lockdown is on it's way

Re: A second lockdown is on it's way

Today our air quality is "hazardous" due to all the smoke left over in the air from fireworks last night.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Look at all the crowds of idiots:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews...irus-lockdown/

That is why we had a lockdown. We can't be trusted. If we were all responsible people who would do what was needed to reduce the spread perhaps the government could trust us. But then we wouldn't need so many police and prisons anyway if society was like that.

Government have to protect us from them. They are limited in how they achieve that. Whilst I suspect it will be a mixed bag of poor decisions that in the future will help shape better strategy there is no getting around socially irresponsible people who put a beer ahead of a stranger's life.

Expect local lockdowns when you get scenes like this.
    Not in any way trivialising the antics of those drunkards, but remember it's The Scum, who are typically notorious for hyping up the worst-case scenarios, and no doubt those morons who were (ir)responsible yesterday were part of the same camps that gathered en masse on beaches in places like Bournemouth the other week, and probably also attended some of those illegal raves. The BBC did also mention the same thing but also emphasised that the vast majority of yesterday's pub-goers actually behaved responsibly and complied with the rules.

Also, emergency services in most areas actually admitted that things were nowhere near as chaotic as they originally anticipated.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 05-07-20 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Not in any way trivialising the antics of those drunkards, but remember it's The Scum, who are typically notorious for hyping up the worst-case scenarios, and no doubt those morons who were (ir)responsible yesterday were part of the same camps that gathered en masse on beaches in places like Bournemouth the other week, and probably also attended some of those illegal raves. The BBC did also mention the same thing but also emphasised that the vast majority of yesterday's pub-goers actually behaved responsibly and complied with the rules.

Also, emergency services in most areas actually admitted that things were nowhere near as chaotic as they originally anticipated.
    Yes that's true, but the pictures show us what has happened in some places (unless they have been conveniently angled for effect). I'm not fussed which media outlet provide them since I can choose to skip over or disagree with their reasons for it. Outlets like this will make it sound like the end of world but we know it's all the usual BS. Otherwise I would be struggling to find any of them worth a read

These areas should have different strategies applied. It's simply bad thinking to judge a country pub with 5 punters and a dog against the town centre strips.

Aus. has sealed off Victoria.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Aus. has sealed off Victoria.
    Not quite: it's just closed the border between VA and NSW. It seems the border between VA and SA remains open.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Yes that's true, but the pictures show us what has happened in some places (unless they have been conveniently angled for effect). I'm not fussed which media outlet provide them since I can choose to skip over or disagree with their reasons for it. Outlets like this will make it sound like the end of world but we know it's all the usual BS. Otherwise I would be struggling to find any of them worth a read

These areas should have different strategies applied. It's simply bad thinking to judge a country pub with 5 punters and a dog against the town centre strips.
    Exactly Terry, it's not practicable to directly compare the goings on at country pubs with those in large town/city centres.

You're also correct in the sense that many media outlets have a tendency to select photos that look the most dramatic (and can sometimes even 'doctor' them for effect, in order to make the situation look even worse or better than it actually is), in the long-standing belief that 'sensationalism sells', and the masses then buy into it, and in many cases, get misled.

As to how things pan out over the coming weeks is, like I've said before, something only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Not quite: it's just closed the border between VA and NSW. It seems the border between VA and SA remains open.
    This is true, but the concern of another outbreak is on a knife edge everywhere I think. Waiting on the decision whether my local area is to be locked down.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Melbourne now in lockdown. Some pubs in the UK have closed after positive tests. Hospitals still not allowing visitors (friend's wife has brain tumor and is in hospital he can't visit).

There's some people that proclaimed their country dealt with it better than others. Let me reiterate ... without a cure this virus is going nowhere.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Melbourne now in lockdown. Some pubs in the UK have closed after positive tests. Hospitals still not allowing visitors (friend's wife has brain tumor and is in hospital he can't visit).

There's some people that proclaimed their country dealt with it better than others. Let me reiterate ... without a cure this virus is going nowhere.
    This is why I think there has to stop being references to first and second waves, peaks etc. This virus is just doing its thing, infection rates in areas that locked down dropped, when the lockdowns are eased they begin to rise again. That’s not a virus working in waves, it’s just burning whichever fuel we provide for it.

I still don’t think there will be a second nationwide lockdown. We’ll likely see localised outbreaks and lockdowns until there are better treatments and ultimately, a vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    This is why I think there has to stop being references to first and second waves, peaks etc. This virus is just doing its thing, infection rates in areas that locked down dropped, when the lockdowns are eased they begin to rise again. That’s not a virus working in waves, it’s just burning whichever fuel we provide for it.

I still don’t think there will be a second nationwide lockdown. We’ll likely see localised outbreaks and lockdowns until there are better treatments and ultimately, a vaccine.
    I personally think that a second national lockdown here in the UK should only be pursued as an absolute last resort and like you said each 'localised' outbreak should be judged at its own merit, and the affected areas (like Leicester) locked down if necessary.

Also the difference between now and back in March is that there is quite a bit more known about CV now than there was back then, which obviously was one of the factors that warranted our first national lockdown at the time.

Of course we shouldn't be complacent and let our guard down as we still aren't out of the woods as yet, but some people already seem to be speculating that the so-called 'second wave' has already kicked off, due to an outbreak at a hospital on the outskirts of West London, and CV-related incidents concerning three pubs, in which the latter are ATM just three isolated cases out of several thousand (or million) pubs that have reopened across England since last Saturday, so still too soon to jump to quick conclusions that it's all suddenly kicking off again. There was a similar (localised) outbreak at the hospital in Weston-super-Mare a few weeks back, which was dealt with relatively quickly, and I'm sure I read somewhere on the BBC website yesterday that the current CV epidemic in Leicester may now be starting to show signs of easing since going into their localised lockdown 9 days ago, though I don't know for dead cert.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread Information