Thread: Katie

Bizarre OCD question!

Hi I have a question and wondered if anyone can help me! I have anxiety and more or less have it under control. My last symptom which is a feeling behind my nose of pressure/throbbing remains. I tune into it all the time and it then gets worse but I'm finding it extremely hard to stop it. I'm wondering if this is a type of OCD? Any suggestions would be really appreciated on how to deal with it. Anyone else dealing with something similar?
    Last edited by KatieProsecco; 18-06-20 at 18:44. Reason: Wrong title

Re: Bizarre OCD question!

Hyper awareness and obsessive body scanning/tuning in to particular sensations is common with anxiety, particularly with health anxiety which certainly does seem to carry some of the same traits as OCD. Realistically though clinically speaking, most disordered thought conditions have an awful lot of overlap. Although it’s sometimes convenient to be able to put labels on things it’s not always necessary to in order to correct the behaviour, considering most of these disorders are dealt with on a personal level in much the same way. I have both GAD and OCD, but the ways I have to manage them are one in the same.

Obviously others may find this to be different for them, we are all unique after all but the disorders do tend to follow the same scripts in most of us, just with variations as to what the main focus is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Re: Katie

Thank you for replying and explaining. I came across a 'tool' I can try using called Pendulation. It's a new one on me but as it says you basically dip in and out of your particular symptom by focusing on another body part or even something outside. Will give it a try, nothing ventured, nothing gained! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by KatieProsecco View Post
    Thank you for replying and explaining. I came across a 'tool' I can try using called Pendulation. It's a new one on me but as it says you basically dip in and out of your particular symptom by focusing on another body part or even something outside. Will give it a try, nothing ventured, nothing gained! :-)
    Exactly it’s always worth a try! I’ve not heard of Pendulation so you’ll have to let me know how it goes.

Is the idea to start to divert the attention away from the chosen symptom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Yes I follow "the Anxiety Guy" on facebook and utube, he's amazing! He referred to pendulation when you dip in and out of your body symptom/pain to refocus your attention. It was first discussed by Peter A Levine so utube him and you'll get a fuller explanation. I'm going to try doing this today so will let you know how it goes! The only time I'm free of my symptom is when I'm meditating or being active so really hope this new method helps even a little bit. I guess you only get out what you put in though! :-)

Thread Information