Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting on Mirtazipine and diary

Starting on Mirtazipine and diary

Hi all, I’ve just recently posted about being on fluoxetine and before that venlafaxine but both of these tablets caused immense side effects - venlafaxine caused severe feelings of dissociation and and frightened me. Fluoxetine caused insomnia - incredible shaking that would last for hours at a time and surge like despair throughout the day. I’ve tried other things like natural remedies- St. John’s wort - cbd oil - ashwaganda and now here I am after a frantic phone call with the doc on Friday morning, starting mirtazipine. I’m in need of help as I’ve been struggling with GAD and somatic symptom disorder for over two years and crippling health anxiety on top of it all. I’ve had two psychiatric teams involved in my treatment as well as cbt therapy and yet I’m still struggling. Everyone on this forum is brilliant - panic_down_under especially. I felt like it was time to put a post on here and ask for support as I really struggled through with the other tablets - so I’m on day one of mirtazipine and I will write down My experiences With and if anyone is at a similar stage or has any advice, encouragement and support to other - it truly would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much fellow folk of no more panic

Re: Starting on Mirtazipine and diary

Day one

Took my 15mg tablet way too late- 11pm. Fell asleep within 20 mins and then slept through until 11:30 am. Felt groggy but managed to get washed which is a positive. I know in my heart it is way too soon for any improvements but at least it’s a start.

Hi, I've been on mirtazapine twice. This time I've been on it for 7 years. I have never had side effects from this drug, except being sleepy at night time, which is awesome I think you'll be fine on this drug.

Thank you so much snowygreen for your post and encouraging words.

Day Two

Must admit that I was incredibly thirsty and ate a lot more than usual yesterday. Took 15 mg tablet about 11 pm - probably too late again as found it impossible to get up out of bed this morning. Have had breakfast though which is a positive- as both anxiety and depression have seemed to rob me of my appetite. Will keep posting as I hope it may help someone else who is starting on these tablets but also it’s helping me to keep a diary and gain support too.

Also snowygreen what dose are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by Deedee33 View Post
    Also snowygreen what dose are you on?

I am on 30mg

Thank you for replying - the tiredness thing is quite full on

Day Three

Dry mouth. I knew that this was one of the side effects but it’s been quite bad on a morning so note to self - need to drink more fluids. So very hard to get up out of bed this morning - slept 12 hours and still feeling knackered. It actually feels like I’m waking up after having a massive binge on alcohol the night before - so I’m really not sure how I’m going to cope if that’s a side effect that’s consistent.

Made the horrendous mistake of falling down the rabbit hole and reading lots of mirtazipine horror stories on glorious google. Urgh. I’m starting to wonder whether the fear of antidepressants and their side effects and already scuppering the chances of them working in my favour. I know they are not the magic fix but I’ve been struggling for so long now that I had been keeping the antidepressants route as the last route to go down. Not sure whether sleeping too much is better than sleeping too little? If anyone is reading this - thank you - and will keep posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Deedee33 View Post
    Dry mouth. I knew that this was one of the side effects but it’s been quite bad on a morning so note to self - need to drink more fluids.
    Sip, don't drink as the dry-mouth will continue even if you drink gallons. It isn't caused by dehydration. If it becomes a major issue there are products such as moisturising gels, mouth sprays, mouthwashes and toothpastes which can make a significant difference. Biotene is one popular international brand and there are probably some local ones too. Your chemist will be able to guide you on what's available.

So very hard to get up out of bed this morning - slept 12 hours and still feeling knackered.
    Mirtazapine if pretty much only a powerful antihistamine, in fact more so than many of the meds sold as such and blocking histamine H1 receptors produces mostly sedation. Mirtazapine usually becomes less sedating as the dose increases and tolerance to the sedation may develop after a while.

Not sure whether sleeping too much is better than sleeping too little?
    It might be just what you need atm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information