Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Lives Matter ;)

Bear Lives Matter ;)

I just thought given the seriousness of our forum, that you all might like to have a laugh. It's never a dull moment in SoCal. Today we watched a bear run from the police through the town of Sylmar (which is at the bottom of our local mountains) before they were able to put him out with a tranq dart.

Last edited by AntsyVee; 22-06-20 at 21:17. Reason: updated video

Re: Bear Lives Matter ;)

We have - more than once - had a bull running loose around Baltimore.

I can't find the video of the one that ran down near my apartment when I was out for a walk with my baby. But, this one is great, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYtd7Z60ncw

OMG, that's classic, Erin! LOL

I live a mile from The Shenandoah National Park. There are bears, bobcats, fox, deer etc. all over the place here. I've seen many in my hiking and camping adventures and drives to my shows. I've been an entertainer in the park for the last ten years and in my show, I play a song by Lyle Lovett called Bears.​ I start off by asking the audience if they did any hiking. Most raise their hands. Then I ask if they saw any bear. Some of them always have.... I tell this story to introduce the song.

I was camping at Matthews Arm at mile marker 22. It was during the week and the campground was pretty much empty. Just me and a few others. I got up in the morning and went on a hike. If you can picture this.... I'm going up a hill and it was pretty rocky so I was watching my footing as I climbed. At the top of the hill were two large boulders on either side of the trail. I got to the top and looked up and there in front of me, about where you're sitting (I point to someone around 15 feet away from the stage), was a 350 pound black bear! We're talking tree trunk legs and a chest barely a foot from the ground! He was a BIG boy! I looked at him, he looked at me, our eyes met and we shared expletives!

My first thought was 'Ohhh crap! and thought I would get over by one of the boulders and put it between myself and the bear. So I took a slow small step toward the boulder and he nonchalantly took a step toward me on the trail! I thought 'No bear! You're not supposed to do that!' So I slowly started moving closer to the boulder and the bear just nonchalantly started walking toward me on the trail!

I'm thinking 'NO BEAR! You're not supposed to do that!' Now.... what you're 'supposed' to do if you encounter a bear is to put your arms up and shout/scream to scare him off. I know this, but under the circumstances the best I could muster was a sheepish 'Shoo Bear!'

I kid you not... He stopped, dropped his head and it was as if I could hear him thinking 'Dude! That was pitiful! You just told me to Shoo?' He turned and walked off into the woods, no doubt to tell his bear friends all about the stupid human that told him to 'Shoo!' So if you see a bear, keep your distance and remember my story...

I then introduce the song and play....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

LOL FMP. Great story. I do hope you realize that the rest of us on here are going to go see you perform now, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    LOL FMP. Great story. I do hope you realize that the rest of us on here are going to go see you perform now, right?
    It would be cool to meet some NMPers at a show in the Shenandoah. As of now, no performances due to COVID but hopefully soon. I haven't played a gig since January :( Maybe I can put together a Facebook live deal sometime. I had posted some links to videos on Wired's thread but he deleted it so......

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

That would be cool! You might have been upstaging James' Beastie Boys' routine LOL

Now do you perform as Mr. Clean, Bigfoot or Daniel Boone? Wait, did Daniel Boone go through Shenandoah? I know he went through the Cumberland Gap...

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Ha, I love Shenandoah! I just said recently that we should do a day trip just to drive through because it's been so long. Last time I was there I was childless and spent the weekend drinking wine and eating cheese on the porch at the Mimslyn Inn in Loray.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    It would be cool to meet some NMPers at a show in the Shenandoah. As of now, no performances due to COVID but hopefully soon. I haven't played a gig since January :( Maybe I can put together a Facebook live deal sometime. I had posted some links to videos on Wired's thread but he deleted it so......

Positive thoughts
    I wondered what happened to the link for the videos went,Is that the link with you and the woman with that lovely voice singing?Years ago on here we started up NMP band I played the washboard

Speaking of animals running wild I was at a place called Clermont and there was 2 Emus fighting in the street shame I didn’t have my phone handy as it was quite funny also watched at Cape Palmerston 2 Kangaroos having a punch up lol.

Aw, the poor guy escapes the wilderness heading to Hollywood for his big break and they just dart him and send him back.

I reckon they should do that for anyone breaking quarantine

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information