Thread: Dizziness for years, please help me

Dizziness for years, please help me

Hi guys, I am a 23 year old male from England, I eat a healthy diet and I'm 5 ft 9.I've been on and off anxiety forums for a few years now trying to make sense of my anxiety diagnosis and it's getting to the point where I am running out of patience with my doctor because he doesn't help.

For about 7 years I have been suffering from a feeling of a heavy head and all types of weird dizziness feelings including vertigo, my head swimming, my body moving when it's not, really intense head rushes, a feeling of blood rushing to my head and tightening up so much it feels like I'm about to have an aneurism and my eyes are about to pop out and sometimes dizziness that gets so extreme that I feel like I'm falling through the floor. I have suffered with every type of dizziness and I have no idea why but it makes my life hell every single day, from the moment I get up my head feels funny.

I have seen doctors on multiple occasions and every time they run the "blood pressure" test and give me a check over they say everything is fine and that it is just anxiety or some other rubbish like a "bit of random dizziness". My gripe with this diagnosis is that I have been suffering with this dizziness 24/7, every single day. The only time I feel even a little relief is when I lay down to go to sleep and even that is hard.

I have lived feeling like this for years and the only time I have any relief is when I lay in bed on my side. When I am laying down and change the side I lay on in bed my head swooshes and starts to spin. When I move my head in any way it feel the same and it disorients me, making me feel very uncomfortable and like I'm on a boat.

These dizzy spells cause a jolt feeling through my body and make me feel very panicky for a few seconds, I then get a weird feeling of tingling on my arms for a few seconds, like a shock. Sometimes I have to move around to "shake off" the dizzy spell as sitting still makes it worse. I have had very bad attacks where I feel completely disoriented, spaced out with the whole room spinning and it makes me very anxious so I begin to hyperventilate and pace around. These attacks seemingly come out of nowhere, a lot of the time with no warning.

This has not been something that is there every now and then, this happens every single day and has happened for at least 5 years. Do you guys genuinely believe this "its your anxiety" rubbish in my situation, or do you think that it could be something more? I'm unsure if worth mentioning but I have been on citalopram for around 4 years now.

I would really appreciate any support and suggestions as I only ever get the same answer from my doctor and I really do not want to live with these sensations for the rest of my life. Due to my fear of motion, I am unable to fly on planes as the last time I did I had the worst panic attack I have ever had in my life and it lasted the whole flight.

Re: Dizziness for years, please help me

Could it be vestibular migraines? Have you seen a neurologist?

I’m feeling the same way. For the last 7 years at least. Actually longer but it has gotten more intense. I was feeling ok for the last couple years now it’s worse than ever. Keep feeling like I’m just falling over. Major head pressure/rushes and feel like I’m walking on a boat. I’ve been to the dr many times but never had a scan. I really think I need one. I’m terrified.

Not saying we medically are 100% the same. But i suffered severe vertigo.. heavy head.. daily for over 10 years. My doctor mid way.. so about 5 years in agreed to send me for a CT scan. She knows i have bad HA .. and wanted to set my mind at ease. Well unfortunately for me the CT scan came back with possible "artifact" on scan... well that sent me into the worst depression and spiral. I needed to be sent for a MRI for a better image. Imagine waiting 2 weeks for that bad boy. I received my MRI... and after alot of blood tests over 10 years... trying different lifestyle changes ... ex: no caffeine etc... and the final result of the MRI. Guess what ALL CLEAR! Medical diagnosis for severe vertigo : ANXIETY.

My dr has been with me for 20 years so through every panic episode and 10 plus years of dizzinesss. Never have gotten imaging done. I messaged her yesterday and said I want an mri. I’m actually terrified to have it though. :/

Interesting post. I've had what i think are vestibular migraines. The attacks aren't often but when they come they are terrible! Feels like I get unbalanced, like being on a boat and then the entire world spins round like I've spun in a circle really fast and stopped while being drunk. I too get quite spaced out and disconnected after and feel pretty tired.

Have you tried the Epley maneuver? It can help to treat those with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)..

Thread Information