Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to become less aware of bodily sensations?

How to become less aware of bodily sensations?

Does anyone have any tips on how to become less aware of bodily sensations? I'm very aware of all my twitches and tremors and every strange sensation and it is hard to not pay attention to them sometimes. I even feel normal things that other people don't really feel, like my toes touching or how close together my fingers are. Any advice would be appreciated!

Re: How to become less aware of bodily sensations?

Why do you need to be less aware of them?

Exactly, yes, they're there but they don't need to be a big deal.

I've talked to my relatives who don't have health anxiety and they just don't seem to be as aware of things happening in their bodies as I am. Do they not feel these sensations or do they just forget them quickly because they don't pay attention to them?

I thought maybe if I became less aware of weird body sensations I would be distracted by them less. Will I stop noticing them once my anxiety gets better?

Quote Originally Posted by elincia View Post
    I've talked to my relatives who don't have health anxiety and they just don't seem to be as aware of things happening in their bodies as I am. Do they not feel these sensations or do they just forget them quickly because they don't pay attention to them?

I thought maybe if I became less aware of weird body sensations I would be distracted by them less. Will I stop noticing them once my anxiety gets better?
    Tackling this last part first, yes. Or no.

You're looking at this whole thing the wrong way around. Your relatives DO notice sensations, they just don't pay any attention to them or react to them. You have to stop noticing them for your anxiety to get better, it won't happen the other way around.

The key here is to notice stuff and mentally shrug it off. Don't ignore it, just let it happen and get used to not freaking out over nothing. Practice.

That makes sense, thank you!

Hi I had the same issue, I constantly concentrate on 1 particular symptom and it won't go away. I've had it on and off for 3 years. It's really difficult as I know what I'm feeling is what everyone has but their brains haven't tuned into it whereas mine has. Doesn't make it any easier. Both the answers above are good and help me as well so thank you. Any more tips very welcome. :-),

If you find yourself focusing on something benign, stand up and walk away. Go and do anything else. It starts to rewire the brain away from hyper vigilance.

As you're walking away say 'nope, I'm not playing'. Or anything similar. You can use your conscious brain to retrain your subconscious brain to stop caring about trivial things.

Takes time, but keep doing it over and over.

Thanks I'll try doing that, I know it works because it has in the past sometimes but this "episode" seems to have more of a grip on me for some reason!

Sounds like you are trying to suppress noticing sensations. Like others have said just accept them and move on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information