Page 71 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

Re: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

What would actually help you though? Obviously nothing written on here. That's not a dig just a fact. What could a doctor say to you that would help on a long term basis?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    What would actually help you though? Obviously nothing written on here. That's not a dig just a fact. What could a doctor say to you that would help on a long term basis?
    I really don’t know, My HA is so severe and part of me , I can’t see a way out. Everyday there’s a new concern and they all seem so real. I agree constant testing is not the answer, my heart concerns are a real example of this !

Maybe you can now see how continual testing just has repercussions and brings you added angst which could have been avoided? I really don't know how so many ECGs in rapid succession could possibly be justified by your GP or by A&E when you have presented there?

"Incidentalomas" are a real risk with too many sensitive CT and MRI scans too..Do you really want to have all these tests? What good do they do? With every test there is a risk of an "incidental" finding..It's a well known phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    I really don’t know, My HA is so severe and part of me , I can’t see a way out. Everyday there’s a new concern and they all seem so real. I agree constant testing is not the answer, my heart concerns are a real example of this !
    When you say you can't see a way out does this mean that you don't think therapy will make any inroads into your anxiety? Are you frightened about the prospect of having therapy? I think I would be in your position.

I know I keep posting symptoms, but I’ve got so many ...
    Pins and needles and numbness, mainly in left hand, feels like carpal tunnel that I’ve had before, I’m not taking my pulse, but typing definitely makes it worse.
    Dizziness again feels like bppv , that I’ve had before..
    Still very worried about heart.
    Yesterday night I felt like I couldn’t go on and was thinking of just taking a load of tablets, I didn’t and I’m still here, I’m not saying this for attention , just in despair.

Maybe you can now see how continual testing just has repercussions and brings you added angst which could have been avoided? I really don't know how so many ECGs in rapid succession could possibly be justified by your GP or by A&E when you have presented there?

"Incidentalomas" are a real risk with too many sensitive CT and MRI scans too..Do you really want to have all these tests? What good do they do? With every test there is a risk of an "incidental" finding..It's a well known phenomenon.
    I agree. There was an incidental finding on my cervical spine MRI. This is what I am being re-scanned for. Because my HA is in control, it wasn't the issue it would have been if this had happened a few years ago! The letter I got through said that they had seen something on the scan that is 'thought' to be a small meningioma on my spine. HA me would have been flung into a blind panic at this because, tumour, right? But I read the whole letter which said that this is something benign which is commonly found on scans of people my age and older, and re-scanning is routinely done. I think it's honest to say that the 'what if' gremlin briefly showed up but I quickly put into practice what I'd learned in CBT therapy and I reasoned that the opinion of the neurologist who says that the nerve impingement - which was also seen on the scan - is the most likely reason for the occasional tingling and pins and needles I get. I am expecting there to be no change when I am rescanned, but even if there is - I am in a better state of mind to deal with it. Pb, however would struggle massively at this point in time. His GP is no doubt trying to reassure him, but it doesn't work that way with severe HA.

You would have thought that the GP would be clued up about HA and that the psychiatrist would enlighten her in view of the repeated test requests?

You would have thought that the GP would be clued up about HA and that the psychiatrist would enlighten her in view of the repeated test requests?
    Sometimes it's the only way to get a HA sufferer out of the surgery.

I remember staying put many a time until I got my own way. I cried a few times too because my GP just wouldn't believe me when I told him I was dying!! I raised my voice to him once - which put the shits up him, because usually I sit there rocking to try and calm myself down. He aged about 20 years!

I've been where pb is - which is why I am trying my best to help him, but having all these tests will only ever keep him where he is - which is in a constant cycle of fear and needing constant reassurance. He feels fragile, but he's stronger than he knows. It takes a lot of strength to endure this level of stress every day - not to mention, courage. There has to be mental shift, where you tell yourself that enough is enough, and sometimes things do have to get worse before they can get better..

Thank you, I know your trying to help me. By the way I’m female x

Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    Thank you, I know your trying to help me. By the way I’m female x
    I did think you were but then when Nora referred to you as "he" I began to have doubts as to whether I had got it wrong!!

I do think that you need to have a reason to want to get shot of your HA and get better...and maybe you are so low that you have no real motivation to want to get out of this comfort zone which is full of fear but what you are used to?

Page 71 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread Information