Page 75 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 958

Thread: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

  1. #741
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,257

    Re: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I only know of one person who did the stress test, and he didn't have heart disease.

    The problem with repeated testing is the false positives - which is like throwing petrol into the fire when you have HA. From what I can gather, certain types of medication can cause a 'sagging' or it could be a normal variant. Nobody else is concerned, pb, and they are the experts.

    Do you get out of breath easily? The people I knew with heart disease couldn't walk without getting out of breath. I don't recall you mentioning being out of breath? A stress test is the best way of seeing how well your heart is working when you exercise but just because you're being sent for one doesn't mean you have heart disease - as I said, the only person I know who went for one turned out to have nothing wrong with their heart - it was anxiety.

    The only way to rule out (or try to with someone with HA) heart disease is a stress test or some kind of scan. In the meantime you are terrifying yourself and that will produce those 'heart attack' like symptoms - including the sensation of 'numbness' because you're not breathing properly.

    It was the day before my colonoscopy (which would prove that my colon was riddled with cancer) that I accepted my fate - and in accepting - I started to feel better - even before I went. I just stopped fighting, and when they told me I basically had the best colon in Manchester, I knew that enough was enough!

    Just say that you are right...

    We live in a time where doctors can can easily patch us up and keep us going. My brother has stents, angina, he's had a stroke, he's more hernia than not, he has diverticulitis, deaf, and he just gets on with his life. He has a laugh about things and that's how he keeps going. In his case, doctors told my parents he wouldn't live to be a teenager, but he's 61 now.

    I know this doesn't help you, but this is the difference when you don't fear illness.

    Just for today, try not to catastrophise. When a date comes for your test, tell yourself that you are going to put it to one side and make the days in-between matter. Do nice things. Spend time with your nieces and see the world through their eyes for a change. Bake. Listen to music. Watch uplifting films. Read a beautiful book that's a pleasure to look at as well as read. Do whatever makes you happy. Take anxiety with you and teach it a lesson because it wants to stop you from living.

    Those sensations will be there, but do these things anyway!

    There's a film - Independence Day - where Randy Quaid's character, Russell, turns himself into a human missile (in order to save the world) with this great line: Alright you alien bumholes! In the words of my generation: UP YOURS!

    You need to get more 'Russell' with your HA, pb.
    I don’t get out of breath, I will have a scan hopefully and not the stress test.
    Have had a really bad day with bad dizziness and chest pain.
    I really would like to see life through my nieces eyes, happy and enthusiastic.
    I admire your brother for being able to live he’s life , with lots of conditions.
    I suppose in the end we have two choices, to live our life and be happy or to allow illness to dominate our life.
    I wish I was like your brother x

  2. #742
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    12,385

    Re: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

    You are allowing perceived illness to dominate your life though and it's become a rigid way of life for you with an entrenched and inflexible thought pattern.

    You don't believe this so we go round in circles. What incentive do you have to loosen the hold of your anxiety, pb?

  3. #743
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,257

    Re: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    You are allowing perceived illness to dominate your life though and it's become a rigid way of life for you with an entrenched and inflexible thought pattern.

    You don't believe this so we go round in circles. What incentive do you have to loosen the hold of your anxiety, pb?
    The incentive is to live a life without this awful fear and despair that dominates everyday.

  4. #744
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    12,385

    Re: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    The incentive is to live a life without this awful fear and despair that dominates everyday.
    So what are you doing any differently to achieve this goal? Even a small thing because small things add up..Even just thinking that you have had so many false alarms over the months and years and you are still breathing and alive despite a variety of rapidly changing fears and symptoms..Even if you don't believe this but keep thinking about the possibility..

    What would you like to do if you could imagine a life free of anxiety about your health? Why not make some plans because that option is there for you when you are ready to accept that you have HA and no underlying sinister disease?

  5. #745
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,030

    Re: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    I don’t get out of breath
    Breathlessness is the first sign of heart disease. If you don't get out of breath, I doubt you have heart disease pb..

    Have had a really bad day with bad dizziness and chest pain.
    You are terrifying yourself. Your body is reacting to those thoughts. Dizziness and chest pain are classic anxiety symptoms.

    I really would like to see life through my nieces eyes, happy and enthusiastic.
    You were probably happy and enthusiastic when you were a child because everything is new and it's a busy time of 'firsts'. I know I was happy until I started school. It's unrealistic to think that we can be that way when we're older because we've done and seen most stuff, and we know how crap life can be, but a childlike moment here and there does us good, I think.

    I admire your brother for being able to live he’s life , with lots of conditions.
    So do I, and it doesn't stop with his health as my niece was born with heart problems and she's been having ops on her heart since she was a baby. She also had a stroke at 19. He's always cracking jokes - always has as long as I've known him. He is a perfect example of how chronically ill people can still have a productive, and happy life. I'm also chronically ill - yesterday I didn't know where to put my heat pad as so many parts of my body required it. My head, neck, tummy, legs, wrists, elbows, and middle back were affected. I was in bed most of the day. But I have to keep going and tell myself that better days will come. These things pass, as all things do. The difference is that, a few years ago, I was adding fear to the symptoms - telling myself that I was dying -but now I just go with it all and practice relaxation which helps with pain as well as keeping my mind on track.

    I suppose in the end we have two choices, to live our life and be happy or to allow illness to dominate our life.
    There is also a midway for those of us who are predisposed to anxiety, and this one requires effort. This is where I aim to be - in-between happy and HA (and anxiety in general) dominating my life.
    __________________
    I'm not afraid of death because I don't believe in it. It's just getting out of one car, and into another. ~ John Lennon

  6. #746
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,257

    Re: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Breathlessness is the first sign of heart disease. If you don't get out of breath, I doubt you have heart disease pb..



    You are terrifying yourself. Your body is reacting to those thoughts. Dizziness and chest pain are classic anxiety symptoms.



    You were probably happy and enthusiastic when you were a child because everything is new and it's a busy time of 'firsts'. I know I was happy until I started school. It's unrealistic to think that we can be that way when we're older because we've done and seen most stuff, and we know how crap life can be, but a childlike moment here and there does us good, I think.



    So do I, and it doesn't stop with his health as my niece was born with heart problems and she's been having ops on her heart since she was a baby. She also had a stroke at 19. He's always cracking jokes - always has as long as I've known him. He is a perfect example of how chronically ill people can still have a productive, and happy life. I'm also chronically ill - yesterday I didn't know where to put my heat pad as so many parts of my body required it. My head, neck, tummy, legs, wrists, elbows, and middle back were affected. I was in bed most of the day. But I have to keep going and tell myself that better days will come. These things pass, as all things do. The difference is that, a few years ago, I was adding fear to the symptoms - telling myself that I was dying -but now I just go with it all and practice relaxation which helps with pain as well as keeping my mind on track.



    There is also a midway for those of us who are predisposed to anxiety, and this one requires effort. This is where I aim to be - in-between happy and HA (and anxiety in general) dominating my life.
    Thank you , I hope you feel better today.

  7. #747
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,030

    Re: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    Thank you , I hope you feel better today.
    I don't, but it doesn't matter. Got the heating on, my heat pad, and the box set of The Goldbergs.

    My body will sort itself out.
    __________________
    I'm not afraid of death because I don't believe in it. It's just getting out of one car, and into another. ~ John Lennon

  8. #748
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    12,385

    Re: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

    I also live with a chronic pain condition which affects my nerve endings and is pretty painful. It's far worse when under more stress than usual. As Nora says, it's about getting to that halfway house and being able to manage HA whilst accepting that there will be ups and downs along the way but that you ultimately have the power to sort yourself out without relying on others.

    I hope today gets better for you, Nora. I have the same attitude to my chronic pain-it doesn't matter, it's not sinister.

  9. #749
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,030

    Re: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I also live with a chronic pain condition which affects my nerve endings and is pretty painful. It's far worse when under more stress than usual. As Nora says, it's about getting to that halfway house and being able to manage HA whilst accepting that there will be ups and downs along the way but that you ultimately have the power to sort yourself out without relying on others.

    I hope today gets better for you, Nora. I have the same attitude to my chronic pain-it doesn't matter, it's not sinister.
    Hi Pulisa, sorry to hear you have a chronic illness too, but it's great to hear that you have the right attitude because that really is half the battle won.
    __________________
    I'm not afraid of death because I don't believe in it. It's just getting out of one car, and into another. ~ John Lennon

  10. #750
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    12,385

    Re: pb's Health anxiety worries thread

    I actually don't see it as an illness, more of a condition. It came on after I had pleurisy but that just may have been a coincidence. As you say, it doesn't matter anyway-it's just something to be managed without the need to catastrophise.

Page 75 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The 2017 health anxiety things I have worried about thread
    By unsure_about_this in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-17, 16:37
  2. Health Anxiety Worries.
    By BrokenAge in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-16, 02:49
  3. Another health Anxiety Thread.
    By ricardo in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 21-07-15, 11:58
  4. hello all anxiety struggles and health worries
    By ryan07 in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-05-15, 21:07
  5. health anxiety worries
    By kirstyt in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-12-10, 21:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •