Thread: Pancreatic Cancer Worries

Pancreatic Cancer Worries

I've been unwell since September 2017 and had multiple tests such as two colonoscopies, a gastroscopy and a small capsule endoscopy. I also had an abdominal CT scan back in December 2017.

About a year and a half ago I had a pale stool, and since September 2017 I've had the occasional stool that even though may have been normal colour they floated. I also had a dull ache under my left rib which also radiated through to my back.

I was extremely worried about pancreatic cancer, and had a faecal elastase test, some blood tests that can apparently show issues with the pancreas, and also an MRI of my pancreas. I was advised they all came back as normal.

Last Thursday I had a few sharpish pains in the centre of my stomach, around the bottom of where my ribs were but right in the centre. I also then started to get a back ache almost parallel to where the pain was round the front.

On my back the ache is now very slightly to the left of my spine and around the middle of my back. I occasionally get pains or aches around the front as well, which I've had before (further over the left).

I've spoke to a GP who said they will do blood tests on Friday but I'm very aware that they aren't a definite indicator either way, and feel like I really need another MRI scan.

My GP said that the chances of a 36 year old who doesn't drink or smoke, and who had a normal MRI of the pancreas just over a year and a half ago is very very unlikely, but that makes me feel no better. I keep thinking that something could have been missed, or that it could have started between now and when I had that MRI bearing in mind it was nearly a year and a half ago now.

I can't concentrate on work or anything and I'm such a mess.

Re: Pancreatic Cancer Worries

You've had a high resolution MRI of pancreas which was all clear so you are fine. if you're still worried ask your Dr for a Lipase, Amylase (Liver tests). In saying this, I have a slightly raised Lipase level, which is due to non-pancreatic issues (autoimmune issues)

I also had an ultrasound and MRI which was all good. What you can feel is likely to be stomach issues as the bulk of the stomach is on the left hand side. Have a look on an anatomy chart.

Stool colour and texture depends on what you eat and your rate of digestion. If you are stressed, digestion rate is likely to be faster and it will cause more gas, hence the floating stools. Faster digestion means that the digestion process isn't fully completed or broken down by the enzymes, so the stools will be lighter. I eat a a lot of plant based food, tomatoes, pumpkin, kumera etc so my stools are often orange/ yellowish and that's normal for me.

Re: Pancreatic Cancer Worries

Wow- you have had a lot of tests done in the last few years. It sounds like you have been struggling with pretty intense health anxiety. Do you know what first triggered it?
    As for pancreatic cancer - I really think not. I too have obsessed about this one and also found the stool colours can be alarming to the HA brain sometimes.

Thread Information