Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REM Sleep Disorder (RBD)

REM Sleep Disorder (RBD)

Hi All,
    Just curious if anyone has any experiences with RBD? Possible from using an SSRI? I'm 37, have had about 5 instances in the past 7 years (2 within the last 4 months) where I've basically enacted my dream (IE: Jumped out of bed, accidentally kicked my wife). I've gone down the Google rabbit hole plenty of times, and this might be the worst one yet. I'm 100% convinced I'm on my way to develop Parkinson's. Primary Doc says it's from 60mg of Prozac and not to worry, but I haven't been able to let this go. I'm a bad place right now, trying to stop the cycle of googling etc. Just wanted to see if anyone experienced this and found it was in relation strictly to their SSRI and not a neurological disorder (grasping for hope)?

Thanks All

Re: REM Sleep Disorder (RBD)

The most knowledgeable person regarding SSRIs on our forum is panic_down_under. You can probably get his attention if you post this question in the medications section of the forum.

I do know that SSRIs can cause these sleep disturbances/sleep walking type things. I've had a couple of instances of this over the past 6 years.

Thanks AntsyVee, appreciate your response! I'll definitely do that. Just curious, have you ever had issues where you seemed to re-enact a dream? IE: Kicking/falling out of bed during a dream?

Thanks again

Yeah, one time I woke up my ex husband by singing.

Interesting, thanks for your response. Appreciate it!

No problem! Good luck. BTW, I'm still on 20 mg of Lexapro daily, and I love it. It's definitely worth the odd dream reenactment every so often.

I agree with you. It's helped me tremendously with my anxiety, I tried to go off it once and I never want to feel that way again. I can deal with the side effect, I'm just scared about how to handle what all the articles say referencing this turning into Parkinsons. My instances have been more severe, IE: falling out of bed etc. Should never have looked at Dr. Google

Dr. Google is a quack!

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFan View Post
    Hi All,
    Just curious if anyone has any experiences with RBD? Possible from using an SSRI? I'm 37, have had about 5 instances in the past 7 years (2 within the last 4 months) where I've basically enacted my dream (IE: Jumped out of bed, accidentally kicked my wife). I've gone down the Google rabbit hole plenty of times, and this might be the worst one yet. I'm 100% convinced I'm on my way to develop Parkinson's. Primary Doc says it's from 60mg of Prozac and not to worry, but I haven't been able to let this go. I'm a bad place right now, trying to stop the cycle of googling etc. Just wanted to see if anyone experienced this and found it was in relation strictly to their SSRI and not a neurological disorder (grasping for hope)?

Thanks All
    Hiya, with REM sleep disorder you don't usually leave your bed, you just flail your arms around (or feet) and sometimes shout out.

This disorder affects older men ( 50+), my partner has it and he's 67. He's had it for at least 7 years and has not developed anything neurological but you can have REM sleep disorder for many decades before this happens. I told him about my fears and he says he's not worried at all. My partner doesn't take AD's but he is on some specific heart meds that could be causing it as the REM sleep disorder started a few months after starting them.
    In most cases this phenomena is benign and is related to some worrying event that in your subconscious that you act out.

Like someone else said *panic_down_under* is an expert on AD's so hopefully he/she will see this thread and respond, alternately you could PM them.

1. We did the hard months in lockdown abiding by rules for you to get here.
    2. No one gives a shit if you prefer white towels or hotels with sea views.
    You're in quarantine for fourteen days ...obey the rules.

Hi WiseMonkey,
    I really appreciate your response, thank you. It's interesting to read about your husband, I'm so glad he's doing fine and also really admire his attitude towards the whole thing. I wish my brain would work that way! I appreciate your kind works, they're very helpful. I'll definitely try to get in touch with panic down under. Thank you again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information