Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: REM Sleep Disorder (RBD)

Re: REM Sleep Disorder (RBD)

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFan View Post
    Hi All,
    Just curious if anyone has any experiences with RBD? Possible from using an SSRI? I'm 37, have had about 5 instances in the past 7 years (2 within the last 4 months) where I've basically enacted my dream (IE: Jumped out of bed, accidentally kicked my wife).
    REM Sleep Behavior Disorder is a relatively common antidepressant side-effect, particularly with SSRIs, with about 6% experiencing it. SSRIs reduce the length of REM sleep and can also lighten it which is why people are more likely to remember vivid dreams while taking ADs. Normally, the brain disconnects the muscles involved in movement so we become paralysed during REM, an adaption which prevented our early ancestors from falling out of the trees they slept in, but ADs can inhibit this which is why you've been able to jump out of bed.

I can't say whether you are likely to develop Parkinson's disease in the future, depression, and to a lesser extent anxiety, do increase the risk, however, the far more likely explanation for your RBD is the fluoxetine (Prozac). Effectively treating depression and anxiety may lower PD risk.

Primary Doc says it's from 60mg of Prozac and not to worry, but I haven't been able to let this go. I'm a bad place right now, trying to stop the cycle of googling etc.
    Which could be a sign that fluoxetine is not as effective as it should be. Have your anxiety levels increased more generally, or is it only for the PD fixation?

Yay! Ian showed up! Thanks, Ian! Hope you're doing well, man!

Thanks for your response panic, I really appreciate it. Everything you said makes sense. To answer your question, I’ve been doing great until this occurred. For the most part it controls my symptoms, I’ve just gone down a bad spiral here. Thank you again

To clarify, a bad spiral with the pd fixation. General anxiety and panic has been greatly reduced with fluoxetine.

I’ve struck out in my sleep more than once and kicked more times than I can count, it’s always happened for me, one of the reasons we moved the bed away from the wall! Not particularly frequently but always a good handful of times in a year, I’ve even woken sat right up in bed too.

My husband has hit me and kicked me and he talks in his sleep too, he’s jumped out of bed ‘late for school/work’ a few times and I’ve talked him back into bed without him waking too.

My best friend is the worst for it though, when I’ve shared a bed with him I’ve had to build a wall of pillows to protect myself! None of us have any neurological disorders, or taken SSRIs when this was happening, although my best friend did take them for a while, same one as you. Although during that time he wasn’t any different while asleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

When I looked into my partners REM sleep disorder, I went into a mini depression because I felt I couldn't share with him what I'd found out. This was shortly before he was due to go the the UK with his elderly mother and I didn't want to 'ruin' his holiday by saying anything. However, it became obvious to him that I was really low, crying etc so I ended up telling him! To my surprise, he wasn't worried at all, he was more worried about me!! His attitude was 'we'll deal with it if something happens." My depression cleared very quickly after that, plus he was away for 6 weeks which gave me time to just accept what happens to him. My partner doesn't have HA like me.

A few months ago he went through a bad patch with it and I went to another room to sleep (I'm a poor sleeper) and since then have slept much better. I'm not stressing myself wondering if he will have an episode or not

1. We did the hard months in lockdown abiding by rules for you to get here.
    2. No one gives a shit if you prefer white towels or hotels with sea views.
    You're in quarantine for fourteen days ...obey the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Hope you're doing well, man!
    I am, Vee and best wishes to you.

My only problem is the threat of developing terminal mould. It's been raining almost constantly for a week and the orchard surrounding the cabin is now a lake. Cold too. I might have to call for an airdrop of essential supplies if it doesn't let up soon. Where's <expletive> global warming when you need it?!!
    Last edited by panic_down_under; 26-06-20 at 12:32.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFan View Post
    To clarify, a bad spiral with the pd fixation. General anxiety and panic has been greatly reduced with fluoxetine.
    Good! Just as with liberty, the price for being mostly anxiety free is eternal vigilance. The sooner blimps like this are nipped in the bud the better. Banning Dr Google would be wise too. I've not met a single person who has correctly diagnosed their illness with the aid of that quack.

Couldn't agree more! Thank you again, really appreciate your advice and information

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    I am, Vee and best wishes to you.

My only problem is the threat of developing terminal mould. It's been raining almost constantly for a week and the orchard surrounding the cabin is now a lake. Cold too. I might have to call for an airdrop of essential supplies if it doesn't let up soon. Where's <expletive> global warming when you need it?!!
    LOL According to the scientists, this is global warming!

I'm having an ant problem. They've invaded. And a whole month of fighting the fight myself with ant traps, home remedies, even the chemicals have me at my wit's end. I'm about to give up and call the exterminator :/

You need me to send you a life raft?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information