Page 7 of 110 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening Thread

Re: Gardening Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    What a gorgeous place to live Lola, do you get sal****er crocs around there?
    Phill2 lives next to a beach where they get those rude sounding crocodiles Taking his dog out on the beach brings different hazards to ours but then when you live in a country that's trying to kill you in so many ways they must be used to it.

Yea I did wonder what was so offensive about salt water too Terry. Doesn't Australia have the top 6 most poisonous snakes in the world? Then you have the funnel web spider of course.

The chillies seem to be doing ok and apparently like it hot so the GH is ideal for that especially in mid summer. Having bought them from a charity table, they had no labels and the attending lady didn't know as they had been donated. So they could be mild or one of those 'reaper' or 'ghost' varieties that will take my head clean off

Yea I did wonder what was so offensive about salt water too Terry. Doesn't Australia have the top 6 most poisonous snakes in the world? Then you have the funnel web spider of course.

The chillies seem to be doing ok and apparently like it hot so the GH is ideal for that especially in mid summer. Having bought them from a charity table, they had no labels and the attending lady didn't know as they had been donated. So they could be mild or one of those 'reaper' or 'ghost' varieties that will take my head clean off
    My dad grows his own chillis because he makes his own hot sauce. The reaper and ghost varieties are super rare and expensive, so I think you will be okay.

The dreaded dunny spiders. I suppose when you check under your porch and in your basement for deadly tai pans as opposed to the odd rat or mouse like us it's just life. The worst snakes, the box jelly fish and some horned snails and ringed octopus things too I think. I remember watching one of those 10 most deadly creatures and most, and the worst, were in Oz. Funny thing though is that camels kill the most.

I know my GF grows her chillies mostly in the greenhouse but I've seen one in her kitchen window too. When she was throwing them all out last year they were about 3-4ft tall.

I wouldn't worry since you will be able to check them by looking them up on the net once they take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    I live in Queensland not far from the Whitsunday Islands,the climate is beautiful.The northern parts are best known for sugar,mangoes,avocados and tropical fruits and plants.rainforests meet the beaches,other than the humidity it’s a top spot.
    That toad looks like he's got a right hump on!

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I completely dug up my front garden. Dug up all the weeds and had to remove some bushes. A month later weeds are back. I have no idea what to do except cover with black garden sheeting and leave it until next spring.
    You'll always get weeds. Like Vee says you can spray some killer on. Fresh ones will always come though.

Something I recently found is that on a larger area with dense weeds like grass seed one of those push-pull weeders works much better than a Dutch hoe. It churns the soil very easily and then works as a rake.

You could sheet it and weight it down with bricks. Or bury it with a couple of inches of soil. Groundsheeting will stop the weeds getting through mostly.

I guess it depends on what your plans are for it. If you're just going to tip of load if stones on it or a lawn burying the sheet is fine. But if you depth for planting and allowing roots to spread that needs more thought.

What a gorgeous place to live Lola, do you get sal****er crocs around there?
    Yes it is a lovely part of the world.
    Plenty of salt water and freshwater crocs up here and down where Phill lives,I am trying to find a pic that my cousin sent of a croc eating a cow.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    That toad looks like he's got a right hump on!
    They must hump all the time,literally thousands of them at a place called The Goose Ponds,don’t even think crocs would eat em the ugly good for nothing MFs

I love the border ideas on this website. So beautiful...

https://savvygardening.com/landscape-borders/

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    The dreaded dunny spiders. I suppose when you check under your porch and in your basement for deadly tai pans as opposed to the odd rat or mouse like us it's just life. The worst snakes, the box jelly fish and some horned snails and ringed octopus things too I think. I remember watching one of those 10 most deadly creatures and most, and the worst, were in Oz. Funny thing though is that camels kill the most.

I know my GF grows her chillies mostly in the greenhouse but I've seen one in her kitchen window too. When she was throwing them all out last year they were about 3-4ft tall.

I wouldn't worry since you will be able to check them by looking them up on the net once they take off.
    But the Ozzy people can escape all the deadly snakes and spiders by taking a dip in the sea. Right?

Page 7 of 110 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread Information