Page 26 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening Thread

Re: Gardening Thread

Rhododendron in full flower with the purple one a bit behind…another week I guess.C1252D91-C1A9-4D96-9AAF-5358B5960F04.jpg

Ghost…Spillways

Beautiful Darksky, stunning colour.

I have a question to ask, because of going a little dolally with having to isolate this past week I have been round to my friends house (she isn't there) and I've been weeding her garden for her. It's an unusual garden in that half of it is undercover (projection room from the cinema next door hangs over half of it - so that is dry and has to be watered, which I'm doing while she's away) but the rest of it has lots of lovely plants in and gets rained on. Well anyway, the outside bit is what I've been weeding. There is a lot of moss and what I'm thinking is a kind algae like plant covering the soil, I thought it must be because it's very damp, but strangely it isn't that bad. She rented it out prior to last summer when she moved back in and the previous renters didn't really do a lot with it, so maybe the soil is really compacted? Anyone have any ideas? I've got rid of the weeds dug it over as best as I can with a trowel. Do you think that's enough to get some air in the soil? What else can I do?

Algae is usually a sign of dampness somewhere. All you can really do is get it out, that’s the main thing, and maybe stick a fork in and deeply airate it. I’m sure she won’t expect more from you.

Ghost…Spillways

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    Algae is usually a sign of dampness somewhere. All you can really do is get it out, that’s the main thing, and maybe stick a fork in and deeply airate it. I’m sure she won’t expect more from you.
    Thankfully she didn't expect me to do it at all, so if it goes tits up it and comes back straight away it isn't a big deal. I'll try and find a fork to poke some holes - she might have one in the shed.

You normally get algae near water. Ponds are full of it. Is there a drain near by?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    You normally get algae near water. Ponds are full of it. Is there a drain near by?
    There is a beck running at the end of the garden, it's walled off from her but it is feasible it could be coming from there. I wonder if there's a leak? I might investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    There is a beck running at the end of the garden, it's walled off from her but it is feasible it could be coming from there. I wonder if there's a leak? I might investigate.
    'Beck' Catkins? You must be up north somewhere. I remember it was always beck instead of stream or brook in the Lake District. I love it there, so many memories, most happy but some tinged with sadness now.

With Lakeland weather algae would love it.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    'Beck' Catkins? You must be up north somewhere. I remember it was always beck instead of stream or brook in the Lake District. I love it there, so many memories, most happy but some tinged with sadness now.

With Lakeland weather algae would love it.
    I am indeed up north! In fact just outside the Lake District, seven miles from the nearest lake.

I am incredibly grateful that even though I'm in a town it's just a hop and a skip to some beautiful countryside. But yes, we do have an awful lot of rain, you definitely can't live up here without owning a good pair of wellies and a decent mac!

Page 26 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread Information