Page 16 of 108 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening Thread

Re: Gardening Thread

Yes Nora. Same thing happened to me this year.
    I tried hosing the little blighters but of course they are still there but the hedge seems to have recovered a bit to what it was in August. I'm hoping the winter frost will eradicate them. I'm not keen on spraying any substance on the shrub and it seems to be ok on one side and most of the top anyway. First year it's happened.

Terry, I'm pleased you are managing getting in the garden because it is so rewarding on so many ways and I'm sure your dad will be grateful.

Fishman, your garden sounds like a dreamy cottage garden and must look a picture in the spring.
    It would be so good to see pictures but I haven't the foggiest how to upload on here.

I've just planted my bulbs for next year's display. Mainly daffodils and tulips. I still have cosmos which should run to December. Hot Lips is a favourite of mine and the hydrangeas have turned a gorgeous deep red and they will hold that colour for a good couple of months.
    This year I have a nice commune of birds. The usual blackbirds, sparrows, blue-tits, a very tame jenny wren and a robin that follows me around every time I dig.

Well I have succumbed and started fiddling in my back yard. Took a few dead plants out and got a few early growing weeds. Then started googling when to prune my my honeysuckle, clematis and buddlea. It says late winter/early spring. I guess I'll end up just randomly cutting it back like I do most years. I haven't killed it yet.

I'm a bit worried about one white geranium that I put in last year, the pot is very sheltered and when I took some of the dead stuff away the pot was really dry, I've watered it now but I hope it isn't too late.

The geranium's water requirements in winter are going to be low Catkins, so it should be ok. I've sown some tansy seeds and they're just coming through. Snowdrops in full bloom, crocuses starting to flower.

I've got various green leaves sprouting in my garden but I doubt whether they will turn out to be daffodils...Other than that the grass is growing so the guinea pigs will get to enjoy some fresh pickings in a few weeks time. I am hoping for minimal weed production this year as I truly hate gardening (sorry but just being honest). I long for paving and potted plants and minimal upkeep.

I am going to paint my new fencing this year though..in a nice bright colour to detract from everything else!

What colour have you decided on Pulisa?
    I love the different coloured beach huts by the sea, maybe you could do a makeover on your shed to match your fence.

Fishman, my snowdrops are out in abundance, although a little late this year. Daffs and tulips growing but no buds yet. Crocuses only show their beautiful heads when a sunny day and all the primroses I planted last year have returned to show their amazing colours.
    I have quite a few wallflowers (one of my favourites) just showing touches of colour. They are a good filler and backdrop. And I planted some red hot pokers last year, so hoping they have taken.

Catkins, honeysuckle another one of my favourites. My mum had one. She never pruned it at all. It was trained to form a higher boundary on one side of the fence. The smell was amazing.
    Clematis I cut right back in the autumn and geraniums are a bit touch and go unless they are well established and of a size. They rarely survive in my pots.
    I like lavender in pots and pansies are a good all-rounder.

I'm debating whether to have a hanging basket this year. That Easterly wind destroys every year.

I’ve had a seeding fit this year. Got loads on the go. How do,people keep the trays moist? I have a spray thingy but not sure it’s doing the job but I don’t want to drown them.
    I’ve got cat mint seeds growing. I had them last year but the cat ruined the plants by chewing and rolling on them��

I bought a shed load of tęte-ŕ-tęte daff bulbs last year and they are all out now. Beautiful.

Ghost…Spillways

I planted a Magnolia tree yesterday it was one of my mum’s favourite I just hope it doesn’t cark it like my Hibiscus did.
    All the herbs are doing well surprisingly

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    I bought a shed load of tęte-ŕ-tęte daff bulbs last year and they are all out now. Beautiful.
    Those particular daffs were Mrs. PM's favourite. Next year I shall plant some.

Darksy, I've got some seeds to be planted around now, if the wind will let me. Still got the remains of Eunice and her friends. As far as the tray thing, I use two. One perforated that sits slightly above the bottom one which is filled with about an inch thick of water. That way I can monitor how much they are consuming.

Lola, magnolia trees are so beautiful. I know nothing about them but have heard they take a while to establish.

We've got a big magnolia that dad put in many years ago. It's about 10ft high but would be much bigger if we didn't prune it yearly. They are lovely and the flowers are large.

Page 16 of 108 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread Information